It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activision CEO My goal was to take all the fun out of making video games

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Slacktivision was the worst thing to ever happen to Blizzard Entertainment.

Yea, damn shame. I just cancelled my WOW sub 2 days ago. You know it seems like there is a push to just destroy the video game industry on purpose. Activision reminds me of Mitt Romneys Bane Capital. Buys a business then goes in and destroys it. Trying out FF online now. It isn't too bad so far and at least it's free to try out.

Other than that as someone else mentioned, I really try to support small Developers now. Seems like the AAA companies just want to push the PC nonsense and put out garbage.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Activision is killing Blizzard.

They are concentrating on mobile gaming for the Asian market... but we have phones right? LOL. Like we want to play inferior games on a tiny phone and let our gaming rigs and giant monitors rot!

C'mon Amazon, buy Activision!

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: eXia7
Slacktivision was the worst thing to ever happen to Blizzard Entertainment.

Yea, damn shame. I just cancelled my WOW sub 2 days ago. You know it seems like there is a push to just destroy the video game industry on purpose. Activision reminds me of Mitt Romneys Bane Capital. Buys a business then goes in and destroys it. Trying out FF online now. It isn't too bad so far and at least it's free to try out.

Other than that as someone else mentioned, I really try to support small Developers now. Seems like the AAA companies just want to push the PC nonsense and put out garbage.

I will have to re-up for Classic if they decide to release it. Wife and I need to find a "sane" guild on a PvP server that is medium hardcore and can field pre-made pvp groups and a full 40 man raid team. Think we will play Alliance this time.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

During a 45-minute presentation today at the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference in San Francisco, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick covered a substantial amount of ground. For one, the executive explained how he expects Activision games--specifically Guitar Hero--to bypass consoles altogether. The executive also showed off animation technology he hailed as the future of storytelling in games, pegged the next generation of consoles as being two years out or more, and explained openly why he wants a company culture infused with skepticism, pessimism, and fear.

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

And now we get soulless cash grabs.

I am ready for all the big triple A guys to die, you keep producing dog #, you expect to always beat the last quarters profits.

Sadly you don't understand gamers all that much.

It's ok, keep making # games, others will take your place, just like in the past.

Congrats, I literally avoid EA and Activision.

No game is worth your BS you bring to them.

Article

Well congratulations...I guess he succeeded. Too bad it also took all the fun out of the games Activision's made over the same amount of time too. I mean I guess they've made a lot of money. Though, still not enough because they still had to lay off staff.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Valve forever.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
kotick was brought up with the belief that 'profit' is the most important thing of his life. thats what they taught him in his belief system.

typical s0ciopath. he does not care about doing the right thing, he cares about doing the thing with the most profit.

im amazed when i saw the sam cooke documentary, and his accountaint, klein, scammed him out of his own company. why would a friend do that? why would klein want to steal from someone he knew?

because its all about profit.

the artists working on games, are there to make the best game. the suits are there to make the most profit.

i went to art school, no one in there was thinking of profit. i graduated, i know many professional artists. they try to do the best job they can.

i met a girl who worked at bandai then a cartoon company. i knew more about the properties than she did. my friend worked on a cartoon her company was producing, she did not even hear about it.

she was not a bad guy, her job was the business side, she went to business school.

now imagine someone named klein or kotick, going to 'harvard' business, getting a hold of your video game creation. he does not care, his job is to milk it for profit.

thankfully, the internet is here, and we can self publish.

but that is why you see people like howard stern condemn podcasts and independent media. they cannot 'control' that independence and cannot profit from it, hence the need to condemn.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Sad but true.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Indy developers for the win right now.

I am watching Cyberpunk though ...

I agree. A game i love by an indy developer is called Stardew Valley. Its been out for sometime now but it was created by one man in his spare time when he wasnt working a depressing job as a movie theatre usher. The guy who made the game goes by the name Concerned Ape. Its about a guy working at some ratrace job for a corporation who moves to the country to try and run his grampas old farm and rediscovers the joy in life.

The game has been instrumental in helping others going through depression and has a diehard fan base. The game is finally coming out on smartphone in a few weeks and although i already own it on PC im planning on getting it on the android just because i support what this guy did. He literally coded and programmed, wrote all the music for and marketed initially the game through completion by himself. One man. He went from living paycheck to paycheck to having something like 30 million. And he deserves every cent.

Ill support game developers like him anyday of the week over the douchebags as EA and Activision.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wife and I cancelled our WOW accounts last month, just no fun anymore.

Activision destroyed Blizzard, which is a shame.

Maybe someday, Blizzard will go back to it's roots and put effort into WOW (it's bread and butter) and make it fun for everyone, and not just the top 10 guilds. I mean, if you expect 500 people to fund your whole company and culture, sure.. but having at one point 9 million subscribers and now down to maybe 500k, has got to hurt.

I've been playing 7 Days to Die (also running my own server), League of Legends, and tinkering with a minecraft server.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Yup I avoid EA and Activision games too

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Jim Sterling airs his view of Bobby Kotick and the game industry he is a symptom of.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The necktie is clearly keeping the foreskin from rolling up over his face...

We're only a few years out from the second great videogame crash, IMO. This time the backlog of retro games and emulation options is vast enough that a lot of us won't come back the way our parents did in the early 80s. If they didn't release another game for the next 20 years, I have enough to keep me entertained between a full RetroPI setup, a softmodded Wii, and a cabinet full of 360, XBONE, and PS3 & 4 games I've not even opened, picked up at sales over the years. Bring it.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Its been almost 10 years since COD: World at War. Since then, its been nothing but horsecrap from the franchise. Sure, some small fun was still had....but the franchise peaked 10 years ago and has been slowly decaying since.

Adding in microtransactions has guaranteed that i will not buy the next iteration. I didn't play the last iteration despite my son buying a copy for the household. He's not really played it either, as PUBG is more fun. After he dropped $130 on the upgraded version.

I remember playing Dragster on my Atari as a kid. My first exposure to Activision.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You know this article is from 2010 right?

I notice you left that part out of the post so I wonder, was that by choice or just an oversight on your part?

edit on 20-2-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join