It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter censors Trumps hilarious Everybody Hurts video

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: vonclod

Parody is specifically covered in fair use law.
Here's the test for fair use:
1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Here are the answers in this case:
1) Non-profit
2) the copyrighted work is only part of the video and the video does not require that specific song as evidenced by the replacement meme, it is also used in many unrelated meme's and video's which the author has not complained about.
3) Most of the song was used
4) No effect, as the user would never pay for the public license to create the meme. It's also possibly positive due to re-emergence of the song.

So as you can see, this is pretty much cut and dry fair use. The president didn't make the meme, he simply retweeted it. It was made by an average, ordinary citizen. This is nothing more than leftist musicians trying to squelch political speech they disagree with.

1- Someone is collecting advertisement revenue off that video.
2- Take the song out of the first video and it's just an edited clip of the STATU, just because another song works just as well, doesn't mean the song wasn't required in the first video to make it what it was. Really?
3- Right, MOST of the song was used. Artists who have sampled other people's music in MUCH smaller amounts have been sued time and time again and had to pay up time and time again.
4- Again, it's a viral meme. There's money being made off it.

Like I said, I think it's hilarious, but there's no solid argument for that not being a copyright violation.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Whataboutism lol, I hope that was sarcasm.

For those who may not know, whataboutism is the new leftist term for justifying their unjustifiable double standards. It allows them to live with the massive amounts of cognitive dissonance they experience.

I never said I wanted retribution against twitter.

Nor did I say I wanted retribution against SNL, in fact I specifically said that if trump sent government agencies after them to ruin them, I'd be opposed to that.

Maybe try reading next time.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Whataboutism is actually a right wing term, often used right here on ats.

Just using your own phrases against you. Don't get triggered snowflake.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

1) Doesn't matter, what matters is the intent. If carpe Danktum makes memes to make money then it MAY be a violation. If it's done for educational/satirical purposes, it is not, even if there is money made on it.

2) Yes, as the song has been replaced with another song and works just as well.

3) If the whole song is used, then yes, their case could be weakened, but that's not necessarily the case. Sony lost a fair use case where a person was taking entire episodes of their shows and rebroadcasting them. Being that video was made, to the music, it could easily be argued that they didn't infringe on the copyright of the song, they created a parody of the music video. They took the whole thing and changed it entirely.

4) This isn't about money being made on it, this is about possible brand damage, of which REM suffered zero (until they whined, but that has nothing to do with the meme maker or the meme),

I'd bet a considerable sum that REM would lose this case in court.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   

LOL, you don't even know where the recent whataboutism trend started?

Learn yourself better. It's even directly tied to the fake news "trump-russia" narrative.

Here's another source
and another
and one more for good measure
edit on 18-2-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   

404, how embarrassing.

My point here is that Trump is being a hypocrite, posts a mocking video, yet calls the snl “very unfair” and wants “retribution.

Wtf!?

Nothing to do with Obama! Whataboutism! Regardless of who started it!

BIGLY MAGA!

edit on 18/2/19 by Chadwickus because: But Hillary!

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Link works fine for me, but I added three more for you.

Your point is incoherent. Trump posts a video showing sad dems. Trump blasts SNL for parodying a national emergency declaration. Where were they for the 30+ ongoing national emergency declarations? I'm not seeing any double standard here. That said, I know why YOU see a double standard, because you've inferred that he was blasting them for mocking him. But it's obvious that wasn't the reason as they mock him almost weekly with rarely a mention.

Side note: Why isn't alec baldwin in jail? Why wasn't he at least fired?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Baldwin should be hanged.

Or at least bombed with a MAGA bomb

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Good attempt at changing the subject. Any comment on the meat of my post?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   

You can talk, bringing up Obama.

Theres no meat in your post, just potato.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Except I haven't mentioned obama in our back and forth for at least a few posts. But you can't seem to let it go. So I guess you are using obama as a whataboutism in an attempt to deflect from your entire "point" being dismantled. Typical.

ETA:
Let's do a quick score update for the meat amongst the potatoes:

You claimed I was for retribution against SNL, you were proved wrong
You claimed I was for retribution against twitter, you were proved wrong
You claimed whataboutism was a rightwing term, you were proved wrong.
You claimed my link 404'd, you were wrong.
You claimed trump was being hypocritical about SNL, you were proved wrong.
You claimed I kept obama in our conversation, you were wrong.

Me 6, You 0. It was a smart move to try to deflect. Maybe you should just sign off and have a nap. Try again tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

*sigh*

Trump didn't play the song. He retweeted a meme that was created by an average American citizen.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Rokal

Obama was just as easy, so was clinton, so was bush. Yet, you'll only find that bush and trump were mercilessly attacked on SNL (gee, I wonder why?). Sure, they'd take an easy shot here and there at the dems, but rarely when compared to what they do to republicans. Not only that, they're mocking a national emergency declaration. Did they do that when previous presidents declared national emergencies? Of course not, because they're trying to cheapen the office. They're mocking death, human trafficking, and drug trafficking. Hilarious.

I don't care if they mock trump, in fact some of it is funny. I, for one, like alec baldwin as trump. He does a good caricature. But it got old after the 20th time in the first year. It's gotten lazy and more hate filled as time goes on. Is there really nothing else going on to make fun of?

Dead male prostitutes in a dem donor's house who denies any involvement? Not funny?
Pelosi unable to recall what holiday it is or who is president? Not funny?
Cortez economic illiteracy? Not funny?
Hillary reading articles about pence? Not funny?
Kamala harris claiming she smoked pot while listening to music that didn't exist? Not funny?
Elizabeth warren, the entire native american saga? Not funny?
Virginia governor claiming it wasn't him in the yearbook photo? Not funny?
Media jumping on every anti-trump scandal ending up to be nothing? Not funny?
The green new deal? Not funny?
Anthony weiner goes to jail? Not funny?

I mean, there are TONS of easy cheap shots to take at dems, yet they don't. Why?

ETA:
You know who did take a lot of shots at dems? Jay Leno. He took shots at both sides and it was always hilarious. Yet SNL can't think of enough to keep it even close to balanced? Because they're not trying to.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
All hail the Troll.

What is this world coming too.

Yeah we shouldve just let the Deep State keep winning and its wrong of us to be happy that these people are feeling some pain, these people who openly desire to destroy us.

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you must be Jesus, because only a person who is perfect in all ways could show open condescension in this situation. You must be a real "turn the other cheek" type of person and I applaud you for that, I really do. But mankind is just not ready for your heavenly standards. When my enemy tries to enslave me and destroy my way of life, yeah I Do smirk a bit when I see them all bummed out that their plan didnt work. I'm Not the most perfect most humble being to have ever existed. It's okay, I can admit to that weakness.

I guess you feel our leaders should act a certain way in order to make us believe that they are something they are not?

I guess you really do believe that all politicians, except Trump and a few exceptions, are all polite, patient, humble people? No? You mean, you Agree that it's all mostly just an act? But you prefer these fake types? You prefer to be lied to?

So what is it then? What do we all have to do, to make You happy?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: Rewey

Best you tell Trump that too then, as he wants “retribution” from the SNL skit...

Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!

mobile.twitter.com...

Seems there’s snowflakes and hypocrites everywhere huh?

So, that tweet is basically the same as Twitter removing a video?

Also what does Trump's tweet or the lack of retribution have ANYTHING to do with fair use?

You're just linking two unrelated things in an attempt to troll Trump supporters (your only purpose for being here. you used to at least care about truth back when your main purpose was trolling conspiracy believers). But, you are wrong so, I will point that out even though you are being intentionally, annoyingly wrong.

Why would anyone "go tell Trump" about fair use as a response to his Tweet? In what context does that make any sense at all?

It doesn't and you dont care that it doesnt because truth was never your goal. You've accepted defeat (Trump-like candidates will be coming to a town near You...) and are contenting yourself with poking the adults with a stick then run away giggling...

He asked a question. "how is this happening with no retribution?" While conservatives are often fired for the slightest infraction, was the context here for the slow minded, or those who just dont bother paying attention because truth was never their goal...

He asked a question and you turn that around and say "he wants retribution".

"Trump wants retribution" um no he didnt say that...

"Better go tell Trump about fair use" um, why?

Seriously I expect better. YOU are the guy who us supposed to change my mind about Trump?

Aaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh, that is rich... A guy who cant even get basic facts and definitions straight?

No seriously though... keep going. You're doing a lot of good work here for Trump. Keep showing us that you got Nothin.

edit on 2/18/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/18/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

So what is it then? What do we all have to do, to make You happy?

If you could all donate $5 to my "I want to quit work and live on my own island" Go Fund Me that would go some way to making me happy.
As for Trump and his schoolboy antics , I find it amusing , sad but amusing.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You forget the weekly roastings of both Bushes

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

That guy in the beginning calling the President in, looked like a slightly older Maynard Keenan. lol Poor Maynard. Not.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I meant to add Clinton too..big time.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: BoneSay

*sigh*

Trump didn't play the song. He retweeted a meme that was created by an average American citizen.

He retweeted what he believed and liked, why do you always try to find a way out of someone else's actions?

If you retweet, you agree, you think the same..

Is that hard to figure out?

If you don't believe in something, you don't follow. Stop trying to run away from reality, it is sad

"sigh"

Should we assume the president of the United States has no idea what he's retweeting and he may or may not believe in what the tweet said?

Anyways, it was removed, clearly because it was used in the wrong way and he liked it, he is the voice of those people, had he not shared probably no one would know about it. So yes he is responsible for what he says, he's the president.... Stop making excuses. A job comes with responsibilities
edit on 19-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join