It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Saved $600 on home insurance in 10 min

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Can I just say, I hate insurance. I'm one of those people that never files claims, always pays on time.

A while back you could just get Home insurance and keep it for years. Well those days are long gone.

Now they just keep raising those rates, without fail. If you don't leave, they will keep raising it forever.

I just switched my homeowners insurance, and actually added a little more coverage and saved over $600 (year) in less than ten minutes.
Luckily, most of the information is already populated online, so it was pretty easy and painless. So the weird thing is that last year I looked up this
same thing and it was going to cost $400 more than what my current insurance was, so I just kept it. So even if it was more in the past, it might be
worth it to get another quote!

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Saw thread title....

Thought it would be a Geiko ad.

11/10 disappointed.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I work in insurance (don't hate me)... you would not believe how much people overpay, for decades and decades.

Some people just want to be "loyal" to their agent, even though they are paying double or triple what another company would charge for BETTER coverage.

I will never understand some people, but hey, it's their money! You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him/her drink!

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Saw thread title....

11/10 disappointed.

Too funny that's what I thought ...where's the little lizard? 😊

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

Saw thread title....

11/10 disappointed.

Controlling all the world governments.

Damn lizard people.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

Saw thread title....

11/10 disappointed.

Reporting for duty Sir!

edit on 15-2-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Saw thread title....

11/10 disappointed.

It actually is, but I didn't want to say it!
But, yes they actually did!

cheers:

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Saw thread title....

11/10 disappointed.

It actually is, but I didn't want to say it!
But, yes they actually did!

cheers:

^^^We've gone full circle.

11/10 thread redemption.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I work in insurance (don't hate me)... you would not believe how much people overpay, for decades and decades.

Some people just want to be "loyal" to their agent, even though they are paying double or triple what another company would charge for BETTER coverage.

I will never understand some people, but hey, it's their money! You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him/her drink!

Thank you for chiming in! So now, maybe between me and you we can convince ATS peeps to save some money

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
We get our insurance locally, it costs about eight hundred bucks a year on two hundred fifty thousand coverage, replacement value with maybe one hundred sixty in coverage for personal items. Boosted liability and medical is included, plus a rider that will even pay off if the house and all the land gets burnt and we do not want to rebuild here. Two fifty deductible.

I can't see getting a similar policy for six hundred bucks a year less from anywhere. We have good credit and longlivity and that really keeps the price down. We had one claim in twenty nine years, a partridge flew through a window and landed next to the computer. I could not even get a contractor to come out and give an estimate, I am a contractor but I cannot bid on my own insurance, limited to fifteen bucks an hour. Oh well, I had to do the work, I actually covered the deductible with the labor, what a job to replace a sash and storm pane on those windows.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I went through the same thing this summer. Over the last 24 months, my home + auto went up about %10 and about $450 over the last 5 years, killing my escrow. I changed over to a new company and ended up saving about $400.

The agent said that all of the insurance companies have a national database with all of my/your information in it. How often we claim. How often we change ins companies and other stats. The agent said that if a person changes too often, it will show up on the database and your rates could go higher. She said you just need to watch for the % of increase each year and determine when to change by that.

The agent said the new ins company had sporadic policies throughout my area and that is why they were cheaper. If ins companies become too populated in a certain area, they raise rates for those areas.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So I'm reading this thread and for the first time ever an insurance add pops up right off the bat!

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We get our insurance locally, it costs about eight hundred bucks a year on two hundred fifty thousand coverage, replacement value with maybe one hundred sixty in coverage for personal items. Boosted liability and medical is included, plus a rider that will even pay off if the house and all the land gets burnt and we do not want to rebuild here. Two fifty deductible.

I can't see getting a similar policy for six hundred bucks a year less from anywhere. We have good credit and longlivity and that really keeps the price down. We had one claim in twenty nine years, a partridge flew through a window and landed next to the computer. I could not even get a contractor to come out and give an estimate, I am a contractor but I cannot bid on my own insurance, limited to fifteen bucks an hour. Oh well, I had to do the work, I actually covered the deductible with the labor, what a job to replace a sash and storm pane on those windows.

By the numbers you provided it looks like you might be paying too much. I know different areas price insurance differently based on crime/fire/flood etc, but it really might be worth looking into. Not saying you can go down 600, I'm saying mine went down that, every single house costs a different amount. A several million dollar mansion could possibly save thousands in insurance etc...

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: rickymouse

By the numbers you provided it looks like you might be paying too much. I know different areas price insurance differently based on crime/fire/flood etc, but it really might be worth looking into. Not saying you can go down 600, I'm saying mine went down that, every single house costs a different amount. A several million dollar mansion could possibly save thousands in insurance etc...

Ten years ago or so we checked prices and found that for the identical coverage, we were about a hundred bucks cheaper. Our insurance is pretty broad, covering pretty much everything around here. No flood insurance, they do not even offer it here and I live up on a hill. It does cover if the snow melts and seepage occurs, but usually if that happens it is not much anyway. Most people do not know that if you get a total loss on your insurance, you have to build on the same lot to get full value. We opted for the coverage that pays us outright if we do not want to build there again, a forest fire or tornado would destroy the woods, why would you want to build in the middle of a bunch of tree roots or stumps or charred burnt forest. I don't mind the eight hundred bucks a year, the insurance company is a local small company a hundred miles away. Our family used to work cleaning their building when I was young, I used to know everyone there and everyone working there is from my home town, I still know many of the people working there. My Insurance agent is here in Ishpeming, they have handled all of our insurances for many years. If something happens they will take care of setting everything up. I would never get online insurance. I know people who did and they had a hell of a time when it came to collecting when their cars got wrecked. I did have some problems with the window, because of the contractors not wanting small jobs anymore, not because of the insurance company.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Since homeowners is usually in escrow, its pretty common for them to creep it up over the years. I caught on to it about at 600 over normal as well. Switched to a company that is local and ive been paying 680 per year for 4 years solid. Old company called me because "they miss me". Told them they can start by refunding me on $3600 and they stopped missing me so much.

new topics

top topics

join