It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The slinky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
A foreword: I deliberately chose the metaphysics forum because there is something to be learned in the telling of this tale. at the moment however the effort to express such as an analasys is beyond me.

there once was a big multicolored slinky, perched at the top of some stairs. Life was grand and glorious, for the slinky had just finished the long and arduous climb up the seemingly endless stairs. It was just simply resting, and reflecting back along the road it had taken, when someone came up behind it. Now, the slinky really was quite exhausted, and furthermore, exhuberant... so while it sensed the presence, it didnt read it like it normally would have assessed the situation.

"why hello there, sir, have you come from the stairs too?"
but the only reply was a sudden chill of cold as the unseen figure grabbed the slinkies top half and pushed it right over the edge! The slinky screamed in fright and utter denial. - and screamed again when its body refused to listen to its commands and slunk right off the next step... and the next one, and the next one. pretty soon, the slinky forgot that it could resist, so tired was it- a most unfortunate occurence, engrained even when its power became restored.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Is this is a tale of reincarnation ? 👍🏼
edit on 13/2/2019 by scubagravy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

It has been a recent observation of mine that a slinky is much like that one person we all have in our lives.

They are useless just sitting there, but they are pretty amusing when you push them down the stairs.

edit on 13-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I took this as...we should accept life for what it is... both good and bad, knowing that even though we may change some aspects of it, we do not have complete control.

I look forward to other interpretations of this. I love how someone can write something and some people are on their level and get what the author is saying and others can see it through a completely different perspective. Good thread!

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The slinky is conscious and believes it has control ha ha.
Just because it is aware of what is occuring does not mean it has freewill.
Are you aware of what is occurring?
edit on 14-2-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

The futility of conscious momentum without volition?

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: KilgoreTrout

Conscious of momentum with no voltion.

You are conscious that there is movement but you never move..... if you look closely enough.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

"Those that do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxemburg

...no matter how closely they look

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: KilgoreTrout

"Those that do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxemburg

Bodies move but the witnessing doesn't.

It can be noticed that all movement happens within stillness.

Only when the stillness is unveiled will the body move freely.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Indeed it is!

a reply to: Lumenari

That "slinky" is capable of greatness but simply needs a push. Instead you'd decree them as useless and subject them to games for your own amusement. Whose the worse here?

In my opinion you are being ridiculous. If you see no distinction between conscious and unwilling movement then you should have no problem putting on these puppet strings and though implanting earbuds right?

All I'm hearing from you, ever, is "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

# that, lol. Maybe you have no will but I certainly do.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

All I'm hearing from you, ever, is "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Then you are hearing things that are not there.
There is no one behind the curtain so why would I ever say not to pay attention to the man behind the curtain?

So you don't like or agree with the replies...... ok..... but at least there were some.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

That "slinky" is capable of greatness but simply needs a push. .

The answer to the riddle? ..... thanks for clearing it up.

edit on 18-2-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No its not any answer. The slinky in my tale started out with the ability to move of its own volition. Obviously not a normal slinky such as was referenced.

The very fact that you say there is no man behind the curtain Is why I hear that. A bastard chain of logic, I'll admit and yet I know for a fact there is such a curtain with a "man" behind it... That man being the existence of Will as the primary organizing principle of reality itself.

Don't get me wrong I understand your viewpoint, to an extent. In my understanding, however, the place of pure awareness is a mere stepping stone into actualizing ones will instead of the script which one unconsciously exhibits.

But you would claim there is only the script and nothing else... Yet your very awareness of this fact suggests a space "outside" the script and a being residing there, presumably"you" since it's all you ever speak of here. Yet you would content merely to sit and watch rather than try to act, why?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

edit on 18-2-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join