It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How advanced are we?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
The earth knows that we are stupid and will eventually kill each other off ... Just like we have been doing for the last 300 gazillion years ... The way that we evolved is not through WAR ... Whoever says this is rediculous stupid. We learned what we have from years of research not years of war. Although ... we probably have used all the techonology that we have in war ... or if anyway we could use the internet to give us the upper hand ... Or wht not.

We dont evolve through war as a whole, but we do take quantum leaps from it. MUCH has come from warfare, one way or another.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
So we would maybe not be as advanced compared to now. But hell no is it the stone ages, its simply no comparison as you put it.

I wasn't comparing our society to the stone ages as far as intellect. I was being sarcastic...Stone ages, meaning, no electricity to power everyday items that depend on electrical power today, like our computers, our tv's, everyday appliances, and don't forget TIVO. You get the idea?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 954speeder

Originally posted by merka
So we would maybe not be as advanced compared to now. But hell no is it the stone ages, its simply no comparison as you put it.

I wasn't comparing our society to the stone ages as far as intellect. I was being sarcastic...Stone ages, meaning, no electricity to power everyday items that depend on electrical power today, like our computers, our tv's, everyday appliances, and don't forget TIVO. You get the idea?

Yes I get the idea. And its still wrong

Are we in the stone ages now? If we are talking people without electricity TODAY, we are talking figures in the BILLIONS.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
bett555 you need to have a look at the advancements that were made through world war one and two. the warring nations threw all thier efforts into winning the war, this ment developing wepons better than the opposition. they went from planes still using wood and canvas to jet aircraft in 4 years in world war two, and how long today is it taking to develop a new jet fighter? like 10 years or more. also improvments in medicine had to be made, and so many other developments that can be put in to other facets of life. as far as war goes, it is the most productive period a nation can go though, in terms of knowlage gained and overall items produced

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Going to war in search of peace is like #ing to be a virgin.

With 50 000 children a day dying for want of basic medical care or food, both of which are very easily supplied for a minute fraction of a percent of the western worlds weapon spending.......

we are so advanced we're going backwards, see ya round the campfire at the mouth of the cave......if I make it that far, which i doubt. It shant be long now. Or not, I could be way wrong.........I think not, but I was wrong once before.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
We're not advanced IMO. Just merely evolved. And btw, to tell such a thing, we should have a point of comparison. Since we know nothing of other civilizations out of Sol System, we cannot even compare.

I'd say we are probably much more advanced than a few bacteria growing on a planet somewhere, probably way less advanced that those fellow UFO pilots, but then again, just young kids on the scene of the great intergalactic life game. How many years have we realized flight? Or that the sun was not going around a flat world? or even, just how many centuries can the human write, compared to the millions (or even billions) of years since the same thing has probably happened somewhere else that we don't know of?

We just know near to nothing, and are just on the eve of evolution, as homo sapiens. We may still be a transition type... It took life a bit more than centuries to evolve from bacteria to what we are now, and will take another long time before we truly will have evolved to yet another, better, human.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Compared to every other civilisation in the past we are advanced, more people have access to medicine, education, sanitation and in the areas where these are not avialable we are striving to install them.

No matter how you look at it we have an advanced civilisation and society

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Compared to every other civilisation in the past we are advanced, more people have access to medicine, education, sanitation and in the areas where these are not avialable we are striving to install them.

No matter how you look at it we have an advanced civilisation and society

While untold billions are spent on bombers and weapons, 50 000 kids die every day from lack of food and basic medical care. It would only take a fraction of one percent of the military budget to end this daily death toll. I must disagree about the striving comment. Avoiding, ignoring, or refusing is more like it.
How I look at is that we are a brilliant, yet totally misguided society, with our goals all backwards, and a deteriorating sense of values that must be nearly gone.
No matter how I look at it, we are totally messed up, but with lots of really cool toys to amuse and distract us.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
According to the Kardashev scale, we are 0.72.

The Kardashev scale is about judging the civilization by its energy consumption, when comapred to the available energy. For example:

Type I - A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available on a single planet, approximately 10^16 W

So we're not even a Type I civilization yet - it has been estimated that we become a Type I civilization around the year 2200.

Anyway, the whole system is explained in great detail:
Kardashev scale

top topics

<< 1   >>

join