It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullets Spinning on Ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is a drive-by, post and run OP to share a couple of interesting videos. The first one is from 2009 and shows some guys firing 9mm bullets on ice.

There was a thread in 2010.

It's the latest video which caught my attention. First impression was to flinch at a guy firing bullets into the ice he's standing on!! Looks like a Homer move when he's sawing a branch that he's sitting on. They probably know the ice is thick enough not to give them an early dip. It's better than the first video because they have slow-motion and a good set-up to get the best angles and footage. Currently on a few thousand views.

I can think of a few ATSers who could try this out.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Lol, crazy bastards.
I wonder how they discovered that?
It would be interesting to experiment with different calibers, though I would recommend standing behind a shield of some type.
9mm has a high velocity to weight ratio compared to many handgun calibers.
When we were bored we used to see who could hit an ice fishing hole from the furthest distance and fewest shots with twelve guage slugs.
More like launching a grenade than shooting a gun.
After getting a feel for it I was generally good for about 500 yards with the first or second shot.
Waaayyy too much time on our hands, as I'm sure is the case here.
Cool post.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I remember Mythbusters did this one. Proved it to be true.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I am not sure what is dumber, shooting the ice you are standing on or firing a pistol while on ice skates

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Most people playing on ice know what is safe and what isn't. I know guys that claim six inches of ice is safe to drive on and I've seen them do it though you wouldn't catch me doing it.
I like to see at least a foot of ice beneath my feet but know a guy who claimed three inches was safe. Used to see him out there with a ice digging pole taking a step, taking a stab with the pole and then another step. Unsafe IMO but I never saw or heard of him going through.
On shooting like that the vast majority of kinetic energy is absorbed by the initial impact, a direct reflection back will hurt like hell but shouldn't penetrate.
I've been to bowling pin shoots and seen .45 caliber bullets bounce straight back into shooters legs. Leaves a nasty bruise but little blood.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

I am not sure what is dumber, shooting the ice you are standing on or firing a pistol while on ice skates

why? obviously they are fine.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

Just because he didn't fall down and shoot himself or his buddy doesn't mean it is safe

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

🎶 draddle draddle draddle, I made it out of lead.

Draddle draddle draddle, I hope it misses my head.

🎶

top topics

join