It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The AT'S 2018 movie awards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
What with the film industry being in the middle of the award season. I thought it would be fun for us to have our own light hearted event
Maybe it will induce fine discussions of the films released last year or it will cause strong debate
.... who knows

Without further ado the Catagories

Best film
Worst film
The best performance by an actor
The best performance by an actress
The worst performance by an actor
The worst performance by an actress
Best use of CGi/Visual effects
Worst use of CGI/Vusual effects
Breakthrough actor
Breakthrough actress
Positive surprise film
Personal let down film

Remember just a bit of light hearted fun

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Love this! I might not know most of the films.....but following with interest so I know which films I should consider seeing.

However, even though I haven't seen it, and simply because of my love of all things Queen, I vote Bohemian Rhapsody for
#1 Best Film
#2 Best performance from an actor
#3 Best performance from an actress (no idea if there is a female in the film)
#4 Best use of visual effects (Really???)
#5 Breakthrough actor
#6 Breakthrough actress (see #3)
#7 Positive surprise film (No surprise there lol!)

Loved Mary Queen of Scotts....but don't think it is up for any awards, which is a pity.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

Best film :
Avengers: Infinity War
A movie that have everything

Worst film
Mortal Engines
Hollow characters and thin plot

Positive surprise film
Bird Box
Makes you think and wonder

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Best film :
Avengers: Infinity War
A movie that have everything

Worst film
Mortal Engines

Positive surprise film
Bird Box
Makes you think and wonder

Worst film
Mortal Engines

I second this.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So many bad ones it's hard to pick just one.

Solo
Maze runner
Fifty shades
Oceans 8

Breakout star is Elsie Fisher.
She was fantastic in eighth grade.

Best movie for me was avengers.
Mostly because I enjoyed it more than any other movie last year.

Positive surprise was incredibles 2.
I figured they would sjw it.

Biggest disappointment was black panther.
The plot was lion king with superheroes.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I haven't seen a lot either, and don't follow the awards shows at all.
But I have seen Bohemian Rhapsody, and like you, love me some Queen.

I loved it and highly recommend it. It's on Amazon now, if you have prime you can rent it. That's how I watched it, as I don't get to theatres very often.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Sounds good, we could have members make films and we can rate them and have awards. We have a few people here who get into making films that could help us learn how to do that. We might even attract some real talented people to the site that way. I want to be one of those super stupid critics that gets everything wrong, saying good movies are bad. I always go see the movies that the prestigious critics say are bad, they usually are pretty entertaining. If the critics say they are great, they are usually overdramatic and boring. I kind of like amateur low budget films.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Best film-Avengers Infinity War
Worst film-Oceans 8
The best performance by an actor-Jeff Bridges (Bad Times at the El Royale)
The best performance by an actress-Claire Foy (The Girl in the Spiders Web)
The worst performance by an actor ?
The worst performance by an actress-Sandra Bullock (sorry Sandy, love you. . . but this sucked)
Best use of CGi/Visual effects-Deadpool 2
Worst use of CGI/Vusual effects-Escape Plan 2
Breakthrough actor ?
Breakthrough actress Claire Foy (The Girl in the Spiders Web)
Positive surprise film-The Girl in the Spiders Web

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The best film for me of 2018 goes to the Avengers Infinty war. Kind of an obvious choice but for me it was a perfect mix of humour, action and story development.

The worst film for me goes to. Rampage. I wateched this film in the cinema and for me personally it just felt very hard to get into and the story didn’t do anything for me. It felt like a film released just to fill a period before the summer blockbusters.

Best performance by an actor for me is Christian Bale in Vice. He’s a very talented actor as we all know. But for me to go through the extreme body transitions to get to the correct size speaks for itself.

Best performance by an actress. This award goes to Olivia Coleman for her portrayal of Queen Ann in the favourite. Her performance throughout her career have been extremely good. But for me she has really stepped it up.

Worst performance by an actor. David Spade in farther of the year. For me it’s just a repeat/copy of so many previous films and roles.

Worst performance by an actress for me goes to Margot Robbie in terminal. She’s a very talented actress who in my opinion can pull off many different roles. But not this performance. It just felt the material was written with a completely different actress in mind.

The beat use of CGI/Visual effects goes to The Avengers Infinity war. No surprises really.....

The worst use of CGI/Visual effects goes to the Rampage. George eating a human anyone??

The breakthrough actor award goes to John David Washington. A really good performance as Ron Stallworth. I really liked his performance in ballers and I’m sure he will have many more top roles to come.

The breakthrough actress award goes to Zazie Beets for her performance in Deadpool 2. Definitely a bright future ahead.

Positive surprise film. Ready Player One. I really had my doubts about this film. I couldn’t get into the book. But thought I would go to the cinema and give it a try. And you know what. I’m glad I did. Brilliant film.

Personal let down award goes to. Venom. I enjoyed this film but not as much as I thought I would. It was let down in a lot of places. Including the car chase scene.

The

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yea I like that idea. Say we all get one choice and one vote??

a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I haven’t seen bird box yet. Iv been meaning to and same with mortal engines I really want to see it but a few of you have posted it in the worst film category....

a reply to: Spacespider

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
What a fun thread.

Best film

Quite a few, some I am still to catch up with this year but right now, A Star Is born.

Worst film

Venom.

The best performance by an actor

Remi Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody.

The best performance by an actress

Thats a tough one, Clair Foy possibly for her role in First Man but could think of a few right now, tough one to pick.

The worst performance by an actor

Worst that I personally saw....Johnny Depp Crimes of Grindlewald just because I dont like him...

The worst performance by an actress

Take the entire cast of Oceans 8

Best use of CGi/Visual effects

Ready Player one.

Worst use of CGI/Vusual effects

I honestly can't think of one.

Breakthrough actor

Thats a tough one, struggling to think of any but I guess I would have to pick John David Washington from BlackKklansman

Breakthrough actress

Lady-Gaga (I am just as shocked as everyone else)

Positive surprise film

Spider-man into the spider verse.

Personal let down film

ohhh....so many pick from but I would have to go with the incredibles two.

Now OP you cannot write a thread like this and not submit your own winners.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The best film for me of 2018 goes to the Avengers Infinty war. Kind of an obvious choice but for me it was a perfect mix of humour, action and story development.

The worst film for me goes to. Rampage. I wateched this film in the cinema and for me personally it just felt very hard to get into and the story didn’t do anything for me. It felt like a film released just to fill a period before the summer blockbusters.

Best performance by an actor for me is Christian Bale in Vice. He’s a very talented actor as we all know. But for me to go through the extreme body transitions to get to the correct size speaks for itself.

Best performance by an actress. This award goes to Olivia Coleman for her portrayal of Queen Ann in the favourite. Her performance throughout her career have been extremely good. But for me she has really stepped it up.

Worst performance by an actor. David Spade in farther of the year. For me it’s just a repeat/copy of so many previous films and roles.

Worst performance by an actress for me goes to Margot Robbie in terminal. She’s a very talented actress who in my opinion can pull off many different roles. But not this performance. It just felt the material was written with a completely different actress in mind.

The beat use of CGI/Visual effects goes to The Avengers Infinity war. No surprises really.....

The worst use of CGI/Visual effects goes to the Rampage. George eating a human anyone??

The breakthrough actor award goes to John David Washington. A really good performance as Ron Stallworth. I really liked his performance in ballers and I’m sure he will have many more top roles to come.

The breakthrough actress award goes to Zazie Beets for her performance in Deadpool 2. Definitely a bright future ahead.

Positive surprise film. Ready Player One. I really had my doubts about this film. I couldn’t get into the book. But thought I would go to the cinema and give it a try. And you know what. I’m glad I did. Brilliant film.

Personal let down award goes to. Venom. I enjoyed this film but not as much as I thought I would. It was let down in a lot of places. Including the car chase scene.

My choices got lost in all the responses lol

You have made some great choices yourself which has made me think. Spider-man into the spiderverse was great

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
These may incline me to watch on Netflix. I'll use them as a heads up............ thanks all of you.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
These may incline me to watch on Netflix. I'll use them as a heads up............ thanks all of you.
OUBLE POST

Saturday afternoon Sangria and Fritos........ sorry

edit on 9-2-2019 by Plotus because:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thoughts on Den of Thieves?

posted on Aug, 3 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

top topics

join