It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prion disease spreads to 24 US states and Canada, potentially threatening humans

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Possible.

We've seen all the problems with drugs.

When LGM goes mainstream. I'm sure snip will happen.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Possible.

We've seen all the problems with drugs.

When LGM goes mainstream. I'm sure snip will happen.

We also see all the food recalls due to lack of proper cleaning practices and who knows what else.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Fear mongering will replace farming we use to know.

The greater the push society will transition to indoor warehouse vertical gardening(hydro,aeroponics, and LGM.

Don't think anything is going to stop it.
edit on 9-2-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Fear mongering will replace farming we use to know.

The greater the push society will transition to indoor warehouse vertical gardening, and LGM.

Don't think anything is going to stop it.

Or, perhaps the push may be for Victory/community (how much public land is sitting vacant?), roof top and/or backyard food gardens; so many options.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Urban sprawl has taken quite a bit of it.

Those options aren't a great as one thinks.

It takes considerable infrastructure, and capital to keep up with population growth.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Urban sprawl has taken quite a bit of it.

Those options aren't a great as one thinks.

It takes considerable infrastructure, and capital to keep up with population growth.

How about some out of the box thinking, like underground community greenhouses?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

An incurable, mad-cow-like brain infection nicknamed “zombie deer disease” ... has spread through half the US – and some fear it may soon turn up in humans.

Like mad cow disease, CWD attacks the brain and spinal cord and is believed to be caused by prions, infectious proteins that travel in bodily fluids and remain contagious for years after leaving the body of their host.

“It is probable that human cases of CWD associated with the consumption of contaminated meat will be documented in the years ahead,”

Even in the wild, in some areas more than one in four deer are infected
Source

This sounds like really disturbing news. A prion disease similar to mad cow disease is spreading through deer populations across 24 US states, as well as Canada. In some areas, incidents of infection are as high as one in four deer, and significantly higher in some captive deer populations. The problem, however, is that symptoms can go undetected for up to a year - meaning that when hunters shoot the deer and take the meat, those consuming the meat may have no idea they're consuming infected meat. Even more worrying is the fact that the prions causing this disease can remain contagious for years outside of a host body... Oh, and it's also incurable. Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease and Research Prevention, spoke to lawmakers Thursday to warn them that human infection will likely begin occurring in the near future.

This seems like a nightmare just waiting to happen.

Sounds like time to build a wall...

... all the way around the US and Canada. Nobody enters, nobody leaves.

This might well explain Trump.

We've seen enough zombie movies to know what happens next. The walking dead is about to become reality.

Omce the dust settles I'm gonna open me a real life Zombieland. Any US based ATSers wanna sign up now? I promise you'll be one of the "Pet" Zombies as oppose to the ones who get maimed and killed for fun.

ZDD, coming to a town near you.

In all seriousness though, this sounds awful, I really hope they find a cure before it jumps the species gap. This is far worse than the CJD (a.k.a. Mad Cow Disease) epidemic.

Two cows standing in a field. The first cow says "What do you make of this mad cow disease?". The second cow, turns to the first, still chewing the cudd says "It doesn't bother me, I'm a squirrel!"...

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Not as out of the box as one thinks.

They're called Walipini's.

The only difference is scale.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Not as out of the box as one thinks.

They're called Walipini's.

The only difference is scale.

How many people do you think have heard of a Walipini?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I'm fairly sure I read about one of these training manuals once and the excuse they gave was that it was a sort of joke but if you're prepared for a zombie apocalypse, you're prepared for anything.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Greenies / Organic have.

In London they re purposed a bomb shelter and turned it in to food production.

www.hortidaily.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Greenies / Organic have.

In London they re purposed a bomb shelter and turned it in to food production.

www.hortidaily.com...

That's what I'm talking about.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Why ?

During world war 2 Hitler drop tons of bombs,

Hard saying how much chemicals have seaped into the water table that's now growing food.

Nice Idea wrong execution.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Why go vegan?

Lab grown meat is your future.

There should be a couple of old threads by Soficrow that talked about prions in the soil. Which means the wasting disease (mad cow) could maybe be problematic for veggies too?😕

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

IF it is in the soil.

Hydroponic/Aero is the way to eradicate it.

Since it doesn't use soil.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Why ?

During world war 2 Hitler drop tons of bombs,

Hard saying how much chemicals have seaped into the water table that's now growing food.

Nice Idea wrong execution.

The use of several different types of filters in unison will take out all harmful elements. Yes, wrong execution in that case for the treatment of water but still on the right track. However, do you really think they did not test the water?
edit on 02CST10America/Chicago025101028 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Good thinking.
Time to learn a system ....we should have that stuff in every household. Even just a small setup. For all year long. The price of veggies, this winter, has really gone up.

Lab grown meat would be hard to switch to, unless we can’t tell the difference

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Reading up on it I see that in Canada scientists gave some meat infected with the disease to macaques(primates) and they contracted the disease. So this to me clearly states that if humans eat it chances are they may get infected.

My big question is how did the deer get it in the first place?
For example if your out hiking or camping in the wilderness can you be infected by the disease just like the deer did? I wonder because I am pretty sure deer arent eating each other, and are vegitarians, meaning they have a plant based diet.

I do worry that food crops could get infected by such a disease and none would be the wiser until it was too late.
I think that it is very possible that there may be multiple people that have already gotten the disease they just arent aware of itdue to the symptoms not being visible until late in its incubation.

www.rt.com...
Minnesota is currently in the throes of its worst-ever CWD outbreak. The disease is incurable, and its long latency period means symptoms can take as long as a year to show up – meaning a hunter could shoot a healthy-looking deer and take it home for dinner without knowing he was consuming infected meat. While a Canadian study demonstrated last year that macaques fed with CWD-infected meat developed the disease, leading Canadian authorities to issue a health advisory, the CDC merely “recommends” against eating infected deer, and US wildlife agencies say eating the virulent venison is a “personal choice,” according to the Twin Cities Pioneer Press

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Why go vegan?

Lab grown meat is your future.

There should be a couple of old threads by Soficrow that talked about prions in the soil. Which means the wasting disease (mad cow) could maybe be problematic for veggies too?😕

Yeah if you ate a prions infected salad trying to be healthy and got sick that would just suck.
However since deer are getting it from their diet or environment I fear you may be right on the money on this one.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Lab grown meat would be hard to switch to, unless we can’t tell the difference

Cost prohibitive at the moment, but they are making strides to reduce that cost.

And time still in the development stages.

About decade or more, maybe never if it becomes political, but then again maybe sooner if it does become political.

Depends on which side 'wins'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join