It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocasio-Cortez: U.S. Is ‘Native Land’ for All Latinos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   

All Latinos have a race-based right to migrate to the United States, Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said Thursday. “We have to have … respect for the right of human mobility,” Ocasio-Cortez told a press conference on Capitol Hill. She continued, “It is a right. We are standing on native land, and Latino people are descendants of native people. We cannot be told and criminalized simply for our identity or our status.”

Wait-- WHAT?

Latinos-- whether they're from Mexico, or Guatemala, or Honduras, or...wherever...have a RIGHT to "migrate" here because they're...descended from native people? Those Hondurans in the caravans are descendants of...who? The Inuit? Cherokee? Lakota? Hopi? Who? And even if they are, if their people lived here 300 years ago--or even 100 years ago--how the hell does that translate into the right to "migrate" here now? (And whatever happened to those good old-fashioned words "emigrate" and "immigrant?" More subtle semantic chicanery intended to push the idea that non-Americans have a "right" to come here, but I digress.)

This is one of the biggest loads of horse# I have ever heard. My people came from Slovenia in 1911; does that mean I have the right to "migrate" to Slovenia? The other side of my family came here from Ireland in the 1880's. Ireland, I demand that you let me in! But no, this is only true for Americans, and this right evidently only applies to Latinos.

And: "We cannot be told and criminalized simply for our identity or our status.” That certainly implies that she feels she is Latino FIRST, and American...what? Second? Fifth? Twenty-seventh? Oh, yeah: last.

I never start threads. But this pisses me off so bad I just had to vent here in case no one else had seen what this "rising star" had to say. (Her position on everything in a nutshell: # America, and # Americans.) Ugh.

Yes, it's from Breitbart...

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Welcome to the land of Lunaticville, USA
On your way sooner then you think.

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I was born in America, what does that make me?

What does that make the Spaniards who basically mixed all their blood with everyone south?
edit on 8-2-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Strewth!

Forgive my ignorance here if I'm wrong. Maybe it's what I was taught but I was under the impression that Latino were descendants of the Spanish. (1600's?)

Isn't Latino derived from 'Latin'.

Got me stumped.

Kind regards,

Bally

+42 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   

She's got to be a plant by the Trump administration to embarrass the democrats.

NO ONE is that stupid in real life!

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

What does that make the Spaniards who basically mixed all their blood with everyone south?

Eventually, if Cortex Disabled has her way, you, (me too) must be deported to make way for those she speaks of.

She will call it "The Trading Places Act".

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

Strewth!

Forgive my ignorance here if I'm wrong. Maybe it's what I was taught but I was under the impression that Latino were descendants of the Spanish. (1600's?)

Got me stumped.

I thought Portugese .

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Facial expression will tell you NO.
But she is a plant from an alien from the world of common sense with some stupidity thrown in.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Everytime she opens her mouth it get worse. Its like watching a train wreck.

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

She sounds EXACTLY like George Soros.

Exactly.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss

But its a train wreck of publicity .

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Yes they is

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like the lunacy has increased exponentially in the last few years. And the past 12 months or so have seen the biggest acceleration of all.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   

According to her, it makes you irrelevant. Unless you're Latino, I guess. Jeez, we laughed Sarah Palin into obscurity for saying stuff that wasn't half as dumb and/or inflammatory as the things this woman comes up with.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Strewth!

Got me stumped.

Kind regards,

Bally

2nd

Well this is what I got when I checked the dictionary.

"La·ti·no (lə-tē′nō, lă-, lä-)
n. pl. La·ti·nos
1. A member of one of the Spanish-speaking peoples of the Americas.
2. A descendant of any of these peoples, especially when living in the United States."

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Not sure where I need to go...lol I wonder if Mexico would take me, Canada is too cold, and in Mexico I would live well. Actually I'm thinking of retiring in Costa Rica, I can live with that. Let the South come here and we will go South...

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Strewth!

Got me stumped.

Kind regards,

Bally

Me too. Actually, I was taught that Latinos are the descendants of the Spanish and the various native tribes of Mexico, Central, and South America that they overwhelmed and all but wiped out when they "migrated" to the Americas. Ergo, by Cortez's logic all Latino "migrants" should "migrate" either to the areas where their native forebears originated (probably the country where they currently reside) OR to...Spain. Have fun, EU.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I alternate between thinking that and thinking she's the scariest politician I have ever seen yet in my 50 years. I mean...a frightening number of people actually like her and applaud her ideas. The "Green New Deal" has sixty freakin cosponsors, after all. And we all know that if you just repeat something as the truth often enough, more people than not will eventually accept it...she could do some real damage. I don't know whether to laugh or kill myself now.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Eventually, if Cortex Disabled has her way, you, (me too) must be deported to make way for those she speaks of.

Good lord, don't give her any ideas!

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss

The problem is that train wrecks do soooooo much damage to everything in their vicinity.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join