It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Adopt Frozen Embryos, Save Them from Science (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Women in Spain are adopting frozen embryos and getting impregnated with them. The embryos are 'left over' from fertility operations and are slated for stem cell research. The women explain that they are doing this to protect the embryos from being used for research.

story.news.yahoo.com
The Barcelona clinic launched a scheme last year to allow embryos left over from fertility treatment and destined for stem cell research to be implanted into women.
The Institut Marques said couples who had lost a child, infertile couples, and single and homosexual women were among those who had decided to have an embryo implanted.

But there were also women who wanted to save the frozen embryo from being used in scientific research. Opponents of stem cell research including the Roman Catholic Church say it is unethical to destroy a human embryo.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is pretty silly, but at least they are 'putting their money where their mouth is'. I suppose one could argue that it'd be better to adopt actual children who are already in need, but there's a critic for everything I suppose.

I find it ironic that the title of the article uses 'save them from science';when science is why they exist in the first place, and the science that comes out of them can save millions.

Related News Links:
www.swissinfo.org
www.innovations-report.de
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
www.usatoday.com

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Psst. You need to capitalize "Spain" in your lead para.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hey bring them to American I bet we have our own crowd of fundamentalist that will allow their women to get impregnated to save the embryos.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm bumping this news story up.
Interesting find, guys, let's decide whether it gets ATSN status

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I'm bumping this news story up.
Interesting find, guys, let's decide whether it gets ATSNN status

I second that. Very interesting find... I'd like to see this hit ATSNN status. I did not know women could adopt embryos... you learn something new everyday!

Thanks, ATS! [/end cornyness.. or corniness... or whatever it is]

-prophetmike

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
A (-6)? Thats just sad!
We kill millions in the name of war. A few embryos in the name of research is not bad at all!

[edit on 1-3-2005 by I_s_i_s]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Is this a general news topic or an ATSNN topic now?

Anyway, I've often wondered at the logic behind abortion not being permissible when its by choice, but it being perfectly permissible in the case of these extra stored fetuses.

On top of that, I find it somewhat hypocritical that some anti-abortion proponents aren't also calling for the end to the general practiceof in vitro fertilization, since it normally requires that extra fetuses be implanted into a woman, with the expectation that only one or two will actually 'take'. Seems rather strange to kill abortion doctors and harrass abortion patients, but be rather silent on this.

Perhaps the contradiction exists because the anti-abortionists are not arguing from a logical or sensible position, but instead are acting irrationally and emotionally.

top topics

join