It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Low "G" Sprintime Discussion [SP2019]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
-Hey look honey: there's another new writin contest on ATS.
-Oh really? Are you onna pretend to have all kinds of awesome ideas, then never assemble and finalize them?
-Probably, and thanks...
-So what's it about?
-Sprin.
-Sprin what?
-Dunno. Just sprin.
-Ohhh! Maybe it's about fresh-water sprins, like the one up towards Leaky-Pass?
-Maybe... (Starts writin).
-Remember the last time we stopped there to fill our water bottles, when we saw the fellow with the two aliens in the backseat of his Lincoln
convertible?
-Yeah... What about him? (Writin furiously now).
-Well it turns out he's the Sheriff in the neihborin county, and the brother-in-law of our Sheriff Prattle. Some other fella saw them as well, and
reported it to the newspaper. The next day: the story was nowhere to be found, and the journalist and the witness seem to have disappeared as
well.
-You don't say. (Furiously erasin).

-Oh: maybe it's about natural hot-sprins, like the ones we sat-in on our visit to Iceland?
-Remember we were sittin in the hot-sprin, with that nice Russian lady, what was her name: Svetlana? Oh: and those two old Swiss fellows with their constant murmurin?
-Yeah... What about her and them? (Writin furiously now).
-Well: I made contact with her via facetrick, and she was writin a story about what she overheard the old Swiss uys talkin about, somethin about the
BIS, and the EU?
-Yeah, yeah... What about it? (Writin furiously).
-Well she was postin about how she had written to RT about what she had overheard the old Swiss uys talkin about, then her posts disappeared,
and she just went silent for a few days.
Next thin ya know: it was one of her friends writin on her profile that she had died from some kind of food poisonin, or somethin.
-You don't say. (Furiously erasin).

-Oh: maybe it's about those so called 'blade' sprins, worn by that Paralympic champion, Oscar Pistorius?
-Maybe... (Slowly starts writin).
-Didn't he even compete with elite able-bodied athletes, all the way to the Olympics?
-Yeah, yeah, yeah... How did that work-out? (Writin furiously).
-Well: he murdered his irlfriend, and now he's in jail.
-Holy shmitdz! (Erasin writin).

-Oh: maybe it's about those coiled metal sprins, like they have in pens, or on cars, or all around trampolines?
-Do you know when when the best time for trampoline jumpin is?
-No... (Pauses writin).
-Sprintime! Ha-ha-ha!
-Oh boy! (Erasin writin).

-Oh! Sprintime! Maybe it's about the comin of Sprin?
-Hey! Now you're talkin! (Starts writin enthusiastically).
-Did you prepare the car for sprin?
-What? The car? Honey we have a solid two months of winter left. (Pauses writin).
-Then why would they be talkin about sprintime?
-Not sure that they are? (Twirlin pencil).
-Well: in different parts of the world: sprin comes earlier, so some, like ardeners, might already be keenly into it? Orderin seeds? Plannin?
-Yeah, yeah, yeah... What makes ardeners most exited about for sprintime? (Writin furiously once more).
-Well: one ardener was so excited, that he wet his plants... Ha-ha-ha!
-Snap! (Breaks pencil).

-So dear: what were you writin about?
-Nothin...

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

The end.
(Non-writer status).

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Fun read

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Nice. You must have read some other stories, meaning of spring rather fuzzy.

Erasing, nice touch. I was going to write about Narcissus, aka daffodil. When it struck me... "I've only ever seen daffodils bloom March 1. Spring isn't official until March 21, a bit premature. So I wrote about something else."

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

ood writin.

Had a bit of a lauh and ile.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Thanks Zos!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Nice. You must have read some other stories, meaning of spring rather fuzzy.

Erasing, nice touch. I was going to write about Narcissus, aka daffodil. When it struck me... "I've only ever seen daffodils bloom March 1. Spring isn't official until March 21, a bit premature. So I wrote about something else."

Yes: read some others before, but the fuzzy has always been around.
Your offering was lovely!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

ood writin.

Had a bit of a lauh and ile.

Kind regards,

bally

Thanks Bally!
You are very kind and enerous.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   

lol. This feels eerily familiar in my household.

Good job.
edit on 7-2-2019 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Thanks HV.
Part of the concept was hoping that it would resonate with many readers.
Glad you had a chuckle!

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Wow, that was a great take on it, I just loved the way you poured out those ideas. In a way, kind of like spring, with new growth popping up everywhere.
Really good read, wish I could give more than one flag for that, honestly.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Thank-you very much for your kind words!

You are a keen observer. It represents the inner flow of ideas, upon initially seeing a new contest subject.
Then put into the format of a convo, for the simple benefits of the silly jokes, and to just get something finished, before becoming overwhelmed with the flood of ideas, and the inundation of multitudes of tangential thought-lines.

Do you find it challenging to go from ideas, to putting a story together? Any tips?

Cheers!
edit on 28-2-2019 by Nothin because: sp

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Oh sure.

I start writing some days and then have to stop and do a couple of paragraphs that just pop into my head.

I've found that if I just sit back, then they just all swim around and the inertia grows until its like I can't write anything.

The best strategy for me is to just start writing, even if it becomes just a junk text document in my laptop.
Sometimes I might switch themes several times before I am happy with what I am writing.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Oh thanks.
So just letting the writing flow freely then. Even putting one bit aside, to sometimes write something else down. Good.
Have heard of this, tried it some years ago, and will try it again. Thanks.

Am usually in idea overwhelmed mode, unless the format is tightly restricted. (Helps to contain the ideas.)

What kind of theme would best suit you, or would you enjoy the most?

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

One thing if your stuck, which works for me, is to write notes. Like
Fast bike crash

Hospital - funny visit off mates

Sword fightwith a cool move

Things lke that, all separate, then join them up, if you are suffering writer's block, it's easy to get going when all you have to do is link a to b to c and things like that.

So rather than let the ideas overwhelm you, write short notes for each and weave them together

The ones that suit me are probably the ones I have some personal experiences of. I really like writing first person (because I love those old Marlowe books), I find writing about riding bikes and the stuff that goes on, just flows out really simply, without trying, but it's fun to have constraints too, like we did a while back with the 100 word limit.

There's even a famous group of writiers that do it. Called Oulipo you can google the term, they do all sorts, such as poetry where each line has one letter more than the preceding one (I think that's a snowball) certain letters omitted, most famously a novel called A Void, written withhout the letter E Have a look on Wiki, there's tons of ideas in the OULIPO entry.

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thanks. Went to look-around the Oulipo website. Brilliant!

Ok: Will try your exercise now:
1: Cold beer.
2: Cold fish.
3: Cold wind.

Once upon a time, bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

LoL (Sorry: am feeling too silly to try that now. )

Would be an honour, if you would like to contribute something to my thread from last year: ATS: Altered-Sayings

posted on Feb, 28 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Hey, whatever works.

I'll have a think, I know there must be a couple of sayings.

top topics

join