It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Injects Politics and Social Justice Into the Big Game

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: ketsuko

What offends you so much about their protest? And it's just a game. It's more offensive to me that the president had to make comments about a small and insignificant political protest during a sports game.

Have fun crying over kneeling sports players while the president looks like a fool arguing about football player on twitter...

The fact that it's just a game. The fact that they chose to protest the part of the game that has nothing at all to do with what they claim they are protesting. The flag is not there to honor police. It's there to honor the country as a whole of which the police are a tiny part. The flag is to remind us that we are all in this together.

You protest that, you protest all of it. That's what they decided to do whether they're smart enough to figure it out or not.

It was a divisive gesture aimed squarely at the rest of the country, not just at police. And it ultimately did nothing about what they claimed to be protesting. They want to help? Get off their overly fine-tuned butts and go help. Get active in their communties and change some lives for the better.

I see LeBron doing that. He started a whole school. That has more power to lower the incidences that lead to police shootings than any knee on the turf in front of a flag ever will.

While police brutality is certainly a part of it, the overarching theme in their protests is racial inequality, which you happened to touch on in what you said, whether you meant to or not.

"To remind us that we're all in this together." As we should be. All of us, equal, presenting a united front. The folks that are protesting don't feel that they, and their brethren, are treated as equal parts of our togetherness. That's what the protests are all about, we should strive to have zero biases in our dealings with everyone on the planet, not just the groups you feel comfortable around.
Hence taking a knee. They feel left out of the equality that this country promises, so they're protesting it. Seems like a perfectly ok thing for them to do, in my opinion.
To paraphrase a lot of ATS members..."If you don't like it, don't watch it".

Orwell's famous quote in Animal Farm works well here: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

That's how some people in our society feel. Everyone says we're all equal, but when you actually look at the stats, etc, are we really treated equally? The math says no. That's deserving of a protest, in my mind. Because these people deserve to feel equal, and to be treated equally.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I was actually pretty surprised that there wasn't more.
We had the Coke commercial, that wasn't that bad, a couple NFL PSA's about their dedication to 'social justice' that didn't mention any specific cause, and one other commercial, don't remember what for, that showed a building with the wods "get out" on it.

I was expecting to get bombarded, to be honest.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
None of this stuff has anything to do with anything else but Trumps tightly clenched 1950's anus.
He clenches it tightly together whenever he sees disrespectful triggering aimed in his direction.
His anus tightens into the same shape as his lips and this makes his base nervous and squeamish then eventually triggered. Then seemingly almost religious and cult-like threads about said triggering start popping up on internet AltRight safe spaces like this thread.
It's all about you being triggered and running to shout about it from the mountain top.
Kinda like I just did, I guess.
Triggered and shouting about said triggering.
How can we like, unplug the world, man?

That was impressive.

His anus tightens into the same shape as his lips and this makes his base nervous and squeamish then eventually triggered.

The imagination required for such a description is astounding( it is imagination?)!

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Watched the entire game. Nothing political was "injected" into the game or broadcast. Some people just think everything has an agenda, whether it's a movie, tv show, or apparently a sporting event.

Not sure if I remember what happened at the Super Bowl in 2017 (when your linked conservative snowflake article was written, but if there was, it had no obvious impact.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Statistically Black people are significantly more likely to be criminals and before you jump down the racism hole Im just quoting real life stats, this statement has no bias.

You may not intend it to have bias, and I understand that this is what is commonly said and understood, but it's not exactly the true. As Mark Twain said, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Actually, statistically speaking, a very small percent of the Black population commits most of those crimes committed by Blacks; and the vast majority of those handful of criminals are gangbangers.

Also, statistically speaking, as a whole, a smaller percentage of the Black population commits crime than the percentage of the White population that commits crime. However, Black people are far more often targeted by police.

So, technically, no. Black people are not more likely to be criminals. The statistics don't say what you think they say -- and what they are typically portrayed to say.

And I should also say that I haven't dug into the numbers for a few years, but when I did, the Mexican gangs were fast gaining the lead in crimes and violent crimes.

Hispanics and whites are often lumped together in crime stats so white crime stats are also out of context and wildly inflated

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join