It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Injects Politics and Social Justice Into the Big Game

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
... I realize some of you are SJWs and love this stuff, but all you do is alienate people and push them further right by pushing your liberal agenda on people. If you poke people enough you will make enemies.

Shhh... Don't clue them in. They are our biggest and best asset.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
We can have non-stop advertisement every sort, and the military shoved down our throats as the world saviors. Yet, protesting issues during a sports game is out of the question?

How silly have we become.. I bet OP thought Vietnam protests were anti-American too. All hail the military industrial complex and any action the government takes!

I hate that crap too. Flyovers and the militaristic tone in sports is unnecessary. The NFL is by far the worst for that.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
boo hoo.

god, y 'all whine about everything.

and, those who think it's a dead sport you are wrong. our grocery store was PACKED today with people buying their game day food and snacks. you'd have thought it was a holiday, I've never seen it that busy. lol

Yes. Fat people getting fat people food to watch sports is an indicator of youth enrollment in the game. Smdh.

Youth enrollment IS declining nation wide and it's only going to get worse every year from here on out.

You go with the "I see lots of fat dudes in 4xl jerseys so that means all is well in the sport" and I'll go with facts.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The player behavior is not only disrespectful of the flag, the country, and the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have died defending us, but it is wholly inappropriate.

To enjoy sports you need to have a particular perception of patriotism shoved down your throat?

Apparently, we have to believe that taking a knee and direspecting the flag is absolutely how you must protet a policeman shooting a black man and it is the only way to protest that, and you dare not believe anything else.

Now what were you saying about shoving notions down other people's throats again?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They are not forcing you to kneel or watch the corporate football game. They are players playing a corporate controlled game using their position to protest.

They are using freedom of speech.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

They are not forcing you to kneel or watch the corporate football game. They are players playing a corporate controlled game using their position to protest.

They are using freedom of speech.

Explain to me again at what point they get to use their job to proselytize their political agendas to the rest of us, and why their political beliefs are so much more legit than the rest of ours?

Isn't this why so many people stopped watching the games last year and why the NFL owners issued a policy telling them to stop this year?

Isn't it also true that you and I do not get to do this kind of thing at our own place of employment because our own employers absolutely get to decide what their business' politics, if any, will be?

So tell me again why these football players are special?

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

It's two different issues. Black community violence in poor areas have a variety of problems causing the issue. Police having bias is a different issue.

It's like people want to lump all the issues into one and say This issue cancels out the other issues because … MATH?

Is it possible that if a bias does exist (and the math doesnt support that it does) that its warranted?

Statistically Black people are significantly more likely to be criminals and before you jump down the racism hole Im just quoting real life stats, this statement has no bias.
13% of the population yet 50% of the crime

based on this I can understand why cops might get a little twitchy.

I had a quick look on google but couldnt find any data, I would be curious to know the race of the 20+ people who shot and killed cops last year if anyone has that info

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Statistically black people are more likely to be born in areas of high crime, poverty, and economic disadvantagement ?

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   

What offends you so much about their protest? And it's just a game. It's more offensive to me that the president had to make comments about a small and insignificant political protest during a sports game.

Have fun crying over kneeling sports players while the president looks like a fool arguing about football player on twitter...

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Is it possible that the popularity of the sport is declining due to the physical toll it takes on the players, particularly brain damage, rather than social justice injections. President Trump doesn’t want his family playing for that reason, perhaps other parents are on the same track.
It’s up to the individual if they want to watch the sport, up to the individual if they want to kneel in front of the flag...
If enough people stop watching then it won’t get broadcasted and a lot of people will have one less thing to complain about I guess.
a reply to: Carcharadon

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I wouldn’t work for a company that tried to tell me what my political opinion should be. If it’s not illegal it should be. I believe the employment situation is pretty good in the USA at the minute thanks to the republicans, if my employee tried to control me like that I’d find another job. Probably not a government job... not right now anyway.a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Statistically Black people are significantly more likely to be criminals and before you jump down the racism hole Im just quoting real life stats, this statement has no bias.

You may not intend it to have bias, and I understand that this is what is commonly said and understood, but it's not exactly the true. As Mark Twain said, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Actually, statistically speaking, a very small percent of the Black population commits most of those crimes committed by Blacks; and the vast majority of those handful of criminals are gangbangers.

Also, statistically speaking, as a whole, a smaller percentage of the Black population commits crime than the percentage of the White population that commits crime. However, Black people are far more often targeted by police.

So, technically, no. Black people are not more likely to be criminals. The statistics don't say what you think they say -- and what they are typically portrayed to say.

And I should also say that I haven't dug into the numbers for a few years, but when I did, the Mexican gangs were fast gaining the lead in crimes and violent crimes.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Statistically black people are more likely to be born in areas of high crime, poverty, and economic disadvantagement ?

Well yeah
There full of black people

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

That’s very interesting, can I ask where u got those stats?
I’d be curious to see the study

I’d like to take this chance to say I don’t have anything against black people or think all black people are criminals.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   

No worries -- I didn't think you were just hating.

As far as the data, it was a three or four part series of reports that examined national crime patterns and statistics in depth, and I wrote a thread about it a few years ago... and darned if I can find that thread now! I can't find the reports again either. I think it was the Chicago Tribune which published the reports, but nothing's coming up for me right now. One whole part of the report was devoted to gangs and their crimes, and how different gangs operated differently in different parts of the country. It was really very fascinating.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I thought we were boycotting this garbage leauge after the disrespect to your country

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I don’t doubt the validity of what your saying, there is a minority within the black community who, for want of a better term, are very “good” criminals.
They successfully commit such a large number of crimes that it blows the racial average way out of whack.

We need to seriously ask why that is?
How and why have the police or community not stopped these people before they became so “successful”?

I really don’t understand the dynamic that leads to the stats we see, there are places suffering poverty and oppression similar and even significantly worse than the ghettos of America that don’t have the same problems.
Being fair there are quite a few that are worse but they’re in Africa and Sth America which isn’t a great achievement
edit on 4/2/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   
double post
Meant to push edit but my bloody fat thumbs hit qoute
edit on 4/2/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

What offends you so much about their protest? And it's just a game. It's more offensive to me that the president had to make comments about a small and insignificant political protest during a sports game.

Have fun crying over kneeling sports players while the president looks like a fool arguing about football player on twitter...

The fact that it's just a game. The fact that they chose to protest the part of the game that has nothing at all to do with what they claim they are protesting. The flag is not there to honor police. It's there to honor the country as a whole of which the police are a tiny part. The flag is to remind us that we are all in this together.

You protest that, you protest all of it. That's what they decided to do whether they're smart enough to figure it out or not.

It was a divisive gesture aimed squarely at the rest of the country, not just at police. And it ultimately did nothing about what they claimed to be protesting. They want to help? Get off their overly fine-tuned butts and go help. Get active in their communties and change some lives for the better.

I see LeBron doing that. He started a whole school. That has more power to lower the incidences that lead to police shootings than any knee on the turf in front of a flag ever will.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I wish I could find the darn report for you. I think you'd find it interesting too. I'll look through my past threads again when I have a chance.

I remember there was much focus on drugs and drug trafficking. It described Chicago as having a different gang on almost every block... some kids literally couldn't get home from school without walking through several different gang's turf. Whereas in St Louis, it was divided more by neighborhoods/government housing projects. Los Angeles was school districts if I remember correctly.

Different gangs seemed to have different drugs for sale, and different suppliers. It spoke about how Chicago gangs had changed once El Chappo got involved in the gangs and drugs.

I wish I could remember more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join