It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you find weird about America or Americans?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I was watching a show with a family member. It was about how Australians think we are crazy about our drink sizes and how much ice we use.

What else do you find weird about us.

Some things we just see as normal are probably really weird/amusing to non- Americans

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think its crazy how many Americans think they are free. Or that you can truly own property.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Drag racing. The idea of a 655 cubic inch motor making 2000 horsepower all slamed into a car strictly for the purpose of going a quarter mile absolutely baffles Europeans.
The aussies get it though.

Oh, and the Aussies make great beer, fosters! (It's australian for beeahh ya know)
edit on 2 1 2019 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
I think its crazy how many Americans think they are free. Or that you can truly own property.

We have a lot more freedom as citizens than a lot of other countries, tbh.

Shame that we still have the Democratic party around that keeps pushing for Plantation 2.0...

As for actually owning property, it depends on how you structure it.

Yes, there are state and city taxes involved but if you do it right then it really doesn't matter.

I have slightly over 400 acres with two homes on it now and after tax incentives my yearly taxes are about 180 dollars.

I pay it with fruit and berry sales.

So depends on the state... vote with your feet.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My German friends find it insane that you can't buy a beer out of the soda machine.

I tend to agree with them.

ETA... I rarely eat junk food, but I really miss going to McDonalds and getting a quarter pounder with fries and a beer.
edit on 1-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

My German friends find it insane that you can't buy a beer out of the soda machine.

I have a few memories of living as a child in Germany, one vivid one was that a lot of the sidewalks smelled like urine.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Lumenari

I have a few memories of living as a child in Germany, one vivid one was that a lot of the sidewalks smelled like urine.

Military brat, I'm assuming?

My oldest daughter says the same thing and I don't remember it like that... she was born in Germany.

So could be true... a lot of beer there, after all.

Beats hypodermic needles and feces...

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

yes, you assume correct. On the flip side, I remember the bakeries smelled heavenly too!

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I go into peoples' houses for a living.

To keep it short and simple, people are the weirdest fuggin' people. There's way more wackos, weirdos, hoarders, degenerates, and perverts out there than you can ever imagine.

I just happen to work in America.

edit on 1-2-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Lumenari

yes, you assume correct. On the flip side, I remember the bakeries smelled heavenly too!

My kids and I used to go in the morning to buy Kaiser bread when it just came out.

Yes, the bakeries there are a little bit of heaven...

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I concur, and find Americans very weird that they see the entire world as an enemy to their country since 1900's. That is the weird part. If not ally with China, they ally with Britain. If not ally Britain, they ally France. It keeps going back and forth like it never stops. Next up Ally Japan against China then ally China against Japan, then ally Germany against other Europeans, then Europe against Germany.

I'm pretty sure no one likes US anymore.
edit on 1-2-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

The vast majority of americans dont think of any countries as our enemies. Most of us look to other countries as our removed homelands.

Dont confuse the american people with our disfunctional government. We're trying to get a handle on that.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So did the mannheim hauptbahnhof

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It is not just the amount of ice Americans use that is weird, but what you do with it as well. Putting ice in your breakfast cereal, really? You guys and girls are nuts.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
It is not just the amount of ice Americans use that is weird, but what you do with it as well. Putting ice in your breakfast cereal, really? You guys and girls are nuts.

Who the hell does that?!?!

Nobody I know, that's for sure. That is wacked IMO...and I've lived in various areas of the U.S. my entire life.

edit on 2/1/2019 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

yer right there i own 100 acres of land freehold but all mineral rights belong to the govt

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Are those who think. I've been in multiple forums long enough to see messages about other countries coming from Americans before the Gov started watching comments and deleting them. This mostly comes from racist/ignorant Americans who hide within the country waiting for the right moment to go on race wars or European wars(total end of other European languages).

All the internet hate started in America and spread through out the world which everyone else is spreading it back now.

So far the new hate group is Indians/fake Indians talking about China. That is mostly on youtube. China has no access to those websites. Imagine they do and start typing back. Millions of comments and not a single sane one. It is a good thing that China kind of banned youtube to be honest. Imagine all hate spreading all over the internet to unwatchable messages.

Internet trolls will never be gone. That is a thing about internet freedom.
edit on 1-2-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev

Things that never happened for $100!

Seriously where did you get that from?

Cold milk for sure, i have been in other towns in Mexico and other countries where they only drink milk if its a bit hot or just normal temp, i could not do, it was nasty

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Something that bothered me badly was the obsession of not allowing kids to go out on their own, and people calling the cops if they see you alone at the park, just playing around

Free range kids is a thing, seriously?

Should be normal and the standard way, and not have a name like we are chickens LMAO!
edit on 1-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Bread that has so much sugar in it, it tastes like cake. Yuk.

Americans talk about freedom but have the highest number, and highest ratio, of incarcerated citizens of any nation in the world.

Americans talk about peace but have a hand in nearly every 20th century war, more so than any other nation.

Americans have had leaders, like Lincoln, Kennedy and those who framed the Constitution, with truly great and beautiful dreams of a utopian society, but Americans all seem to live like it's Gotham City and/or gansta heaven.

Americans are greedily acquisitive and have little charity (surprisingly, the poor give more freely and graciously than the wealthy). I suppose the rest of the world has that flaw.

Americans claim to have been the turning point of WW2 but ignore the fact that it was almost over when they joined. They also ignore the contributions of the Russians in the 'turning of the tide'.

Americans think they have some sort of mandate to be the world police. Yet when a country needs them, but doesn't have anything they want, where's America? Also there's the push into situations where they aren't wanted, like with the bases in Japan, Europe and a lot of the Pacific.

And guns? Americans have a gun crime and gun suicide problem and their solution is more guns?

Americans also have a legal problem. Their law is diluting and becoming meaningless. Law based upon precedent, that is leaving behind the best intent of the original framers of the law, and being replaced with some sort of mechanized inhumane list of actions with which to determine the next iteration. The consequence is insanity like it being 'lawful' to 'abort' those who have already been born!

And the inability to see the world as neither one thing, nor the other. Like 'if you didn't vote for Trump', then you must be an extreme left supporter of the Dems' mindset.

And the belief that public opinion matters more than actual physical limitations and rules. As an example, the idea that if confidence remains high, that the GDP can grow forever (on nothing but a warm feeling).

Americans 'news' seems to consist of a panel of people discussing their opinions, no matter how way-out or un-evidenced the basis. Real actual news seems to escape them.

Americans can invent something, that they know is a fiction because they just made it up, and then immediately use that to justify their opinions, apparently.
edit on 1/2/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join