It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tool Album Update, January 2019

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

I like Tool, but there's no way this album's gonna live up to the hype.

I'm sick of the album already....

A friend of mine claims to have the album. 7 songs, 80 minutes. He’s a lifelong tool fan and says it’s their best album yet.

Fact or fiction, I don’t know. But I don’t have any reason to question his integrity.

If he seriously thinks it's a better album than Ænima, then I would question his sanity...

Could have just been his fandom for Tool and 13 years of pent up excitement getting the best of him. Or, he genuinely loves the new album more than the older stuff. He’s entitled to how he feels about it.

Of course, I was only messin'...

Admittedly, it's getting better and better with each listen. Definitely a grower.

I was kind of wondering how many people would need some time to warm up to it. I gave it a listen and enjoyed it and immediately thought it was the kind of music that grows on you.

While I can agree a little with what you say, that isnt the reason Tool became my favorite band.

I mean they really blew me away back in the day. I took a chance on a used copy of Undertow and have been hooked ever since.

Now it seems like they are taking the path of every other band, stuck on the same style and sound, except waiting over a decade for each album release.

There was such a significant difference between Opiate, Undertow, Anema, and 10,000 days. Now it just seems like this is tracks they forgot were left in the recording studio from the last album.

Just my opinion of course.

Eta: Personally I wish they would leave all of the digital processing, pedals and other effects alone and focus on the raw music that made them known.
edit on 1-9-2019 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

I'm going to be on the exact opposite side of your sentiment - One of the reasons I like them is for staying.... "them".

You can hear influences from Undertow, AEnema, Lateralus and a touch from 10,000 (nothing much from Opiate, but that was a completely different style of music - just enough to land a record deal)

They are (at least what I am seeing with them compared to other artists) remaining at least somewhat consistent with their unique sound.

Look at bands such as Alter Bridge, Deftones, Thrice, etc., that have changed quite a bit since their inception; some for the better and some for the worst, they have continued to move onto different sounds and styles.

Tool, on the other hand, has put out (as I put it) the most Tooliest Tool album that ever Tool'd. It's everything they are as a band and as a whole. It's also, simultaneously (and ironically, given everything else I've said), a different kind of album compared to the rest of their catalog; the time signatures, the melodic nature (or noticeably increased lack thereof), everything down to the beat and the names of the songs themselves seem to point away from their traditional releases and instead seems more of a "Concept Album" (Like 'A Dying Machine' by Tremonti - great listen, I highly recommend........ in case you're wondering and didn't know, yes, that is the guitarist from Creed) - better to listen to in it's entirety, than to listen to a random track here and there.
edit on 3-9-2019 by dothedew because: my grammar sucks

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

I feel that after a short while of the album being out, it seemed to have died into oblivion.

I believe this is because of the lack of change and breakthroughs that Tool has been known for in the past. Every album ended up different than the one before, except this one.

I believe they messed up when they didnt leave the effect ts processor in the past.

<< 1  2   >>

join