It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Showing Russian Su-27 Flanker Turning Into A U.S. Air Force F-15C Emerges

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

I don't like Russian aircraft harassing our jets and vice versa.

It's a stupid thing to do. Especially since it CAN get your plane blow out of the sky. These are MILITARY jets and they fly armed.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: BoneSay

I don't like Russian aircraft harassing our jets and vice versa.

It's a stupid thing to do. Especially since it CAN get your plane blow out of the sky. These are MILITARY jets and they fly armed.

I understand, but getting worked up when they know their game well is not worth it

I dont want it also, i just know there is no point in arguing about it or tell the other side to come and kill ourselves, nothing to gain from that

You know this wont end in anything, it will be forgotten in a few weeks, until their next game show
edit on 1-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Despite the claims of unprofessional intercepts, and the videos posted, these events are less dangerous than plugging into a boom and refueling in flight. Stupid, yes. Dangerous, of course, so is flying to a degree. But, very unlikely to blow up into something major.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I have a particular aversion to unsafe flying.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:06 AM
link   

A J-8 collided with an EP-3 (probably before your time) many moons back and not much in the way of escalation ever came of it. No major power wants to risk heavy conflict, otherwise (as a good example) the recent incident between Russian mercs & US forces would have spiraled out of control.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Despite the claims of unprofessional intercepts, and the videos posted, these events are less dangerous than plugging into a boom and refueling in flight. Stupid, yes. Dangerous, of course, so is flying to a degree. But, very unlikely to blow up into something major.

So Su27 vs F-15 Eagle... which would win most often in a dog fight (assuming equal pilot skill)?
Yes, I know it's a childish question, but i REALLY need an answer.

edit on 2/2/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
a reply to: Bluntone22

They both play these games. He puts in bank way before he begins to turn, and he doesn't put much turn rate on until the Eagle already decides to skeddadle. Looks worse than it was.

I have heard some world class Cold War intercept stories from a few naval aviators that would make this look very tame.

These "dog fights" also occure underwater with billion dollar submarines and other border manned millitairy hardware..

Question is..who took this recording..

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

So Su27 vs F-15 Eagle... which would win most often in a dog fight (assuming equal pilot skill)?

The F-15 is a proven plane, in wars, the Su is good and probably with all the current modifications would take easily the F-15 down, but it would be extremely dumb to underestimate the F-15, only dumb people would do. I don't know a lot about planes but i can tell that only a fool would think that an F-15 plane is an easy target, they would go down for sure due to dumb self confidence
edit on 2-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The one to fire first. If the other gets a shot of too, they both die.
You dont dogfight against modern short range AAMs. The aircrafts are almost irrelevant.
edit on 2-2-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I do too, but most of these "incidents" aren't really if you really look at them.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

BVR F-15 probably wins, AIM-120C or D vs R-77 or R27ER. WVR pretty even assuming both have HMS, AIM-9X vs R-73. Guns only dogfight Su-27 has the edge in turn rate and agility.
But then we have some new Russian BVR AAMs that's a bit of an unknown, super top secret. Ramjet LPI radar AAM.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Edit: Wall of text, i intended to just write 1 sentence but for some reason i decided to keep going

First of, its not as close as it looks, the perspective is playing a trick here, also both pilots where well aware of the intentions of the other pilot and it looked more aggressive due to the excessive banking of the SU-27, again, just a visual stunt since the maneuver did not result in much of a directional change, only after the F-15 pilot started its directional maneuver and the SU-27 followed, the F-15 started leveling out and the SU-27 then stopped "pushing", this is a non event really.

Also, what did the pilots expect, if you enter Russian (or closing in on Russian airspace) over the Baltic or Black sea, and it seems like the F-15 had intercepted a Russian SIGINT (the airplane the video was filmed from) then you are well aware how close Russian pilots will intercept you, and, by evidence of the video, the F-15 pilot was well aware of this fact so he started to move out of the way, no pilot where in no way surprised by the action of the other, this was probably less risky than formation flying.

Sure, Russians fly unnecessary close but there is no SIGINT pilot in the entire world who doesn't know this, its not unexpected, the pilots doesn't get surprised, its purely media that wants to make a big deal out of it and apparently its always Russia fault. Swedish JAS-pilots intercepts TU-95 way to close several times per week (no-one cares), Americans intercept to close (no-one cares), NATO intercepts stupidly close, even on civilians (still no-one cares). NATO also buzzes Russian airplanes that has diplomatic clearance just to be a dick which imho is more idiotic than the Russian intercepts (no-one cares), but when Russians do it seemingly everyone thinks its evidence of "The Rapture" or provoking the start of WW3.

I wish you guys could see VID/VISINT photos from intercepts, especially from the 70-80s and then you would probably scoff at this video as a non-event. (check with your countries government to see if they are publicly available or still classified, its rare though, it took 30 years to even declassify that Viggen pilot intercepted SR-71s at less than 100 feet during refueling (why cant Americans plan their refueling better, you constantly end up in Blekinge or Ölans so we have to scramble our jets and waste our 2 dollar defence budget) and breakdowns so even "Russian styled" intercepts from other countries will probably take a century to declassify
, USA will probably never declassify or disclose their stupidly close intercepts on foreign targets, much better to falsely keep up this image that its only the stupid Russians that makes these stupid intercepts)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JesperA

I agree this is a non-event but it’s not just the “stupid Russians”. The US has dealt with an intercept pilot hitting one of their jets and causing an international incident before, so yeah I’d be pretty vocal about this stuff too.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The Mirage,Sr71 intercept over France was a good one as well.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: grey580

Looks like a pretty stupid move by the Russians

But why? The Russian plane was carrying a gov member, the American plane got too close with no reason at all. If it had been backwards then it would be all about "Russian plane aggressively tries to get close to American government plane!"

The plane next to the F-15 was Russian, the F-15 went too close to it, why? Provocation attempt? We know how it would be if things had been the other way around

If an American plane had done the same thing while a Russian plane got too close to a government American plane, then we would be seeing all about how a hero pilot defied the Russians and protected an important government official life and so on

Double standards should not be a thing

edit on 4-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

Oh and the reason this is not being used to terrify American public so far in a crazy attempt to show how evil Russians can be is because there is nothing wrong with it, Americans would do the same or worse, if some plane from another country got so close to a plane carrying a government official

edit on 4-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR
Looks like the Russians are trying to get back the dangerous hot dog crown from China after this little gem.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Not a fun game to be playing.

A Russian plane getting very close to a plane carrying an American government official, what would that be?

If an American F-15 would tell the Russian plane to go away because it's getting too close, would that be aggression or expected response?

In this case it was an American plane getting too close to a Russian plane carrying a gov official

Do with this as you must

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

You can google that exact question and there are a few sites online that go into detail.

But the TL;DR is. The eagle has a better radar than the flanker. 100 mile radar range compared to something like 86 -60 mile range depending on the size of the aircraft.

The eagle also has better long range missiles. The AIM-120 is fire and forget with a range of 99 miles or so. The flanker has no fire and forget missiles. It has to paint it's target in order for the missiles to track and hit. Flanker missile range is about 86 miles.

If the F-15 can detect the Flanker first and hit it with a missile. Then F-15 would be the winner.

In a close up fight both planes are fairly equal in speed, both planes can pull 9 g's, maybe the flanker is a little more agile but it would then boil down to who's a better pilot.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It's not so much harassment as it is a "we know you're here" activity.

Part of the reason surveillance flights are done is not just to listen to bad-guy comms--and everyone does it.

A big reason is to test the sensitivity of adversary air surveillance systems.

Radar and other detection systems perform differently at varying altitudes and changing meteorological conditions. Because of this, adversaries test these variables to see how well the technology works. They're looking for strengths and weaknesses.

Scrambling a fighter as soon as possible and parking off the wingtip shows the adversary that our stuff works really well and you can't sneak up on us.

It's also common for the pilot of the reacting fighter to roll the underside of the fighter toward the target jet and show 'em his array of AAMs as a friendly reminder of what's in store for 'em if they cross into sovereign territory.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Standard intercept. It’s no puss game.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join