It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese J-20 Stealth Fighter META Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Oh yeah.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Oh yeah.

Ahh I’d been gone so long I forgot about the patented Zaph vague answer. Is this a common thing to have asymmetric control on twin rudder designs? I’ve never really thought about it and my google-fu is letting me down right now. Good to be back though glad to see you’re still holding down the fort.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Actually, it's not really common. It's also not common to have the entire fin be the rudder like that. The best example of that was the -71.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: Zaphod58

There might be a necessary reassessment of the maneuverability of the J-20.

I don't think so, unless you had a very poor opinion of the maneuverability in the first. It also reflects the emphasis on supersonic performance and RCS-reduction.

If you look at the apparent center of mass/lift, the moment arm for the tail is not very long. That's why deltas frequently sport (seemingly) oversized vertical stabilizers and rudders. The choice of an all-moving rudder is in part due to that. An all moving rudder generates more force than a small rudder on the stabilizer, which allows them to get the stabilizer surface(s) smaller than otherwise.

That also means it can make smaller deflections to further minimize changes to RCS in cruise. It also doesn't have gaps for the hinges on a conventional rudder which would raise RCS in certain bands (see all-moving ruddervator for the YF-23 design, Tacit Blue, all-moving ruder for F-117, Su-57, etc). You also get lower waveform drag at supersonic speed from a single flat surface than a tail with a hinged control surface (see the Blackbird/Archangel family, Vigggies, YF-23, Su-57).

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Ssshh hopefully no one will notice the UAV bottom right..

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Supposedly, the first serial production J-20A.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Interesting, thank you Anzha.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Panel finishing looks a lot better than Russian efforts.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Definitely.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Were they waiting on the engine design to mature before "really" mass producing these?

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

Looks like a bit of concurrency going on. However, the final engine they want isn't the WS-10C. It's a completely different one and it's still not ready (WS-15, I think). I think they tweaked the current engine and decided to go ahead with the A version with the WS-10C, get a stealthy force in the air with the combat forces and will have the B version have the newer engine as well as tweaks to improve the system based on real life experience.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I can see that, thank you for helping keep a close eye on them. Too few people appreciate the trends that are developing out of China.

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
For a second I thought that was a J-20 flying side by side with an F-35

edit on 11/9/2019 by Masisoar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

I did too. Heh.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Half expecting a Chinese Tom Cruise to hop out of that aircraft after it lands.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Interesting details.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Lets play "what are the panels for maybe"?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join