It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. tracking three migrant caravans, one with 12,000 people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
U.S. tracking three migrant caravans, one with 12,000 people

The U.S. government is tracking three separate migrant caravans, one of them estimated to be more than 12,000 people in size, heading north toward the U.S., a top Pentagon official said Tuesday.

Defense Undersecretary for Policy John Rood told Congress that those caravans are one reason why the presence of active-duty troops is still needed on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Senior DOD Official: Three Migrant Caravans Headed to U.S., One with 12,000

Democrats, who now control the House, called Pentagon officials in to testify on President Trump’s order of active duty troops to the border in October, which they have called a political stunt by the White House before midterm election.

But defense officials testified that it was the Pentagon — not the White House — decided that active duty troops were able to deploy faster and were better resourced to deal with the caravans headed to the border than National Guard and reserve forces.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL) noted that administrations have been sending active duty troops to the U.S. border with Mexico “since Alamo.”
Reps. Hartzler and Mo Brooks (R-AL) noted that there is existing authority the administration could use to have the military build a border barrier without declaring a national emergency, through Section 284 of Title 10 of the United States Code.

“Congress has actually given the DOD the ability to provide military support to law enforcement agencies specifically for countering the counter-drug purposes. Section 284 of Title 10 of the United States Code authorizes the DOD to provide support to counter drug activities to control the transnational organized crime,” she said.

“The law clearly identifies various activities that DOD is authorized to conduct including the construction of road and construction of fences. Light installation along smuggling corridors, aerial, ground reconnaissance and transportation,” she said.

Rood responded that Hartzler was correct.

“As you correctly point out, Section 284 of Title 10 does provide the secretary of defense the authority in performance of that counter drug mission such as blocking drug smuggling corridors to erect barriers, fencing, provide road construction things of that nature to aid in that counternarcotics mission,” he said.

“We have already given the authority to do this and we have a very critical mission to keep people safe and make sure that people don’t die as a result of these transnational drug cartel activity and currently they are. So it’s imperative for us to find a solution, and I’m very hopeful that in the next three weeks we can come together in a bipartisan fashion,” Hartzler added.

Brooks also pressed Rood on whether the Pentagon would carry out an order by Trump to build necessary barriers if he ordered them to pursuant to Section 284 without declaring a national emergency.

“If we judge it to be a lawful order, yes sir, and I assume it would be,” Rood said.

New Migrant Caravan - Breitbart

The president has the legal authority to build barriers with defense money now without declaring an emergency.

When these people get here they can join the the remnant of the last caravan. We are looking at one huge mob.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Active duty military 😎

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

There's money to be made here, now how to figure out what will convince this mob as you put it to build the wall...

edit on 30-1-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Sounds like 3 more Democrat/Soros funded operations...oops I mean “caravans”

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
There's also this

Mexico confirms ending fast-track visa program for Central American caravan

MEXICO CITY – Mexico’s Institute of National Migration confirmed with Fox News that the temporary asylum visa fast-track program is suspended, and no more visas will be given for now.
Fox News confirmed Wednesday Mexico is now studying ways for new migrants coming to apply in the Mexican Embassy in their native countries.

It is unclear if, when more waves of migrants show up on the border into Mexico — especially in the border town of Ciudad Hidalgo — officials will now enforce Mexico's southern border more aggressively.

Accord to a video in the Breitbart link, Mexican officials just left the southern Mexico border wide open for the caravan to pass. "We didn't want to confront them."

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
Sounds like 3 more Democrat/Soros funded operations...oops I mean “caravans”

While I might agree with you, due to political agreement. . .
Honestly which argument does this news help?

Three new caravans tells me, foreign individuals think the border is easily crossed.
Or there is support for them from the champions of the wall.

If the former, the news media is encouraging a humanitarian crisis in the making.
If the latter, politics are endangering the lives of individuals searching for a better life.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

I am not afraid of these people at all.

I'm sorry that you live in such fear.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Hmm... Carpet Bombing seems to be in Order here . Invading Enemy Combatants do not Deserve Less .......
edit on 31-1-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Thats your take from all this? You're going to define and label a person as being afraid because they're concerned about illegal immigrants entering our country?

I'm not afraid of spiders but that doesn't mean I want them living in my house.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
They're going to invade us this time for sure. .. unless trump builds our wall!

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Nothing at all to do with fear. Simply do not want these people in this country, period. Those who go through legal immigration process and/or have VALID and GENUINE claims of asylum (fleeing STATE VIOLENCE only) are more than welcome, however.

No illegals.

The legitimacy of our legal system MUST be restored given the damage the left caused to it over the last decade (but especially 2 years)

It is as simple as this. This is our country. Not theirs. They aren't forming goofy little "caravans" (mostly funded by America's most bloodthirsty enemies) and coming here without our permission. That's the end of it.

I support using any and all means to shut it down. Sorties on bridges, relocating the Mexican border further South (to a smaller land area), to issuing shoot-to-kill orders for active duty soldiers/LE. We don't know who any of these people are. They could be infiltrators from Maduro's cult or they could be Islamic fundamentalists from Somali we just don't know

Dollars to donuts Mexico would end this problem if a looming US vs. Mexico all-out war was hanging over their head. I know the illegals are mostly coming from places other than Mexico, but it is Mexico that continues to allow its borders to be abused and its leftist government that allows these herds to cross without challenge. Mexico should be held accountable for its economic and political warfare on the United States. Far more serious/consequential than any BS "information" warfare AKA trolling. Hell, given our Air/Land/Sea/Space/Cyberspace primacy over Mexico that would be one short war.

We want LEGAL immigrants coming here day, noon and night. 24/7/365.

Legal immigrants/Residents/Cardholders/Genuine Asylum Seekers are always welcome here. They are a credit to this country. This is directly SOLELY at illegal aliens, those who facilitate illegal immigration and those who commit fraud by claiming asylum when they do not apply (ie: not fleeing STATE violence)

The left/MSM should stop trying to compare legal American immigrants to foreign nationals attempting to unlawfully and covertly enter the country OR those who conspire to defraud the United States by claiming asylum when they do not qualify. Legal immigrants = regular Americans. Illegal aliens = Foreign nationals

The fact this is such a contentious point (when it should be so obvious and cut/dry) is the only reason anyone on the right gives 2 cents about this issue. This shouldn't be a point of argument. None of these are radical or revolutionary concepts. Nothing is new here. Foreign nationals have never been permitted to unlawfully enter the country. Legal immigrants, as Americans, have and will ALWAYS have the right to enter the country. The fact the left tries to equate these two completely different groups shows their complete lack of knowledge and the overall shallowness of their argument. It is precisely why none of them can debate this issue without committing the "appeal to emotion" fallacy.
edit on 1/31/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

Now add one ladder...lol

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Now add spring-loaded bumpers at the top of the wall that fire off at random or even a high voltage/low amp powerline (non lethal, just shocking)

Good luck. But I see your point, well made. It is clear that mounted weapons/armed guards/minefields/attack dogs (like our border with Cuba, between GITMO/Cuba) would be a lot more cost effective.

Extreme? Sure. But the point is for every radical new way over there is an equally radical way to stop it.
edit on 1/31/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Is pissed the same as afraid? Pissed as in a classroom can be 50 students to 1 teacher and I want my kids to have better, pissed I need to wait in a ER for 10 hours as a mass of illegals are there too for their free healthcare, pissed that they cost us over 100 billion a year we could spend that on our own homeless, pissed that they open the path to take actual good paying jobs, like construction, from Americans because they are willing to do it for cheap, pissed that the real name here is human trafficking and no one on the left dares to say that, pissed that we are also talking drugs running, sex trafficking of all kinds including kids, pissed that an illegal killed two young girls near were I live as she drove over them and left the scene, but got caught later, pissed that I have a sister in law that has been waiting 15 years to come here legally and people want to give illegals citizenship...

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Extreme? Sure. But the point is for every radical new way over there is an equally radical way to stop it.

Just like on EVERY military fence. In front of the 30 or 35 foot wall we have a 6 foot one with a sign on it saying extreme force is authorized beyond this point. At that point ANYONE past the 6 foot fence is game on, so once again we are talking delay tactics in all this as we use our tech to identify them in the process and the wall delays them enough for us to get there and stop it. 1000s of people trying to cross at a bottle neck whether it is ladders, tunnels etc will take a good amount of time to set up and get people going, enough time for us to identify and stop.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

We want LEGAL immigrants coming here day, noon and night. 24/7/365.

I don't 100% agree with this. Basically, we don't need them.

It's true that until the 1900's we needed immigrants to come here as settlers and pioneers. We were expanding to the Pacific. But after that, we were basically settled and didn't accept many immigrants. We no longer need them, there are no more wagon trains west. And we limited our growth until the '60's when they changed the law and things went wild.

I believe in merit based immigration but only in exceptional circumstances. For example, why import medium skill computer programmers from Asia to replace American medium skill computer programmers just because they work a little cheaper. If you want to drive wages down in this field, train more Americans.

We need to start training our workers now anyway to cope with automation.

I think we should let in exceptional cases like highly talented individuals, people willing to invest in this country, foreign citizens that marry Americans, etc. but we do not need large masses of new people even if they are legal.

This isn't racist either. I am not talking only about latinos but people of northern European descent also.

top topics

join