It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube says it will crack down on recommending conspiracy videos

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I love watching these tech companies kill their brand it's hilarious bahahaha

I think they'll be fine. Free market dictates that the handful of people feel entitled to use someone else's stuff will move on and make their own stuff.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Youtube signing its death warrant..

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Look, people have to realize that Youtube is a platform, owned by Alphabet, owned by shareholders, no matter how mysterious and unknown they are.

It can do as it pleases with content on it's platform. Your free to upload your conspiracy videos to another site or create a site for that purpose...

Funny how people take a stand against governmental dictatorships but are so conditioned that they willingly support a corporate dictatorship without question. Like that somehow makes it better.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What about JFK?

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

We really forget these are companies and can run them however. We have only 1 right when we view them...and it's to go elsewhere if you don't like it.

They are worldwide...and if you didn't realize, so are it's contributors in countries that have no or limited free speech.

We can go elsewhere...

No, not if they are operated as a utility, like they currently are. Different laws apply, and free speech is one of them.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticallyI
a reply to: underwerks

How would you ever think to search for information on 9/11 conspiracies if all mention of those conspiracies were shut down in media?

Ironically, if they prune out the "untrue" 911 videos, it validates the remainder of them, unless they are ALL removed.

I notice my Recommended videos are suddenly devoid of "Alt-right" shows and commentators, even the ones I consider to be somewhat intellectual. It does seem like a monopoly on information is in full effect. Since MSM is already in the bag, all they need to do is kill social media too.

I sat thru long stories about censorship and state retaliation from my college professors who were from Totalitarian East Bloc countries. The situation with MSM is just like it. They had to hide books and shared them all in small groups. I wonder if these guys are blinded by their new Liberalism and would approve of this newcensorship....if they inadvertently became aware of it. It's a fascinating question, these are scholars at the top of their game, whom I trust. These guys forced the classic literature on me, a reluctant student. Of course I respect them, but I am afraid they are twice victims....it's almost poetic.

Worth a click...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Tismăneanu

Anyway, it does seem like a chronic situation, I don't see Alt-hosting sites making an impact. Also, there's no "plug-in" app for other formats, like the YT player on my media box....and RIGHT HERE on ATS. The single best weapon against the deep state is actually a tool, a patch to redirect the YT player to another host. Paste a custom URL into that YT link on top of the page, so it plays off another site. It seems more plausible than starting your own country.

edit to add: "embedding" is the word I was looking for.

edit on 29-1-2019 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I don like it. But I go to YouTube for music videos and shows for the kid. YouTube is the last place I seek truth.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
So all this talk of "just use another service, YT is free to do business as they please".

What are alternatives to YT?

I saw PeerTube suggested but I am leery of 'installing' this.

We could use a thread listing alternatives to YT.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
So all this talk of "just use another service, YT is free to do business as they please".

What are alternatives to YT?

I saw PeerTube suggested but I am leery of 'installing' this.

We could use a thread listing alternatives to YT.

What did people ever do before YouTube......

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I slightly disagree. Freedom of speech in a way has always relied on at least a platform to provide it for you. Saying you don't need to depend on others for your own freedom of speech is like saying you can sit in your backyard and say whatever you want. The point of free speech is to be heard by others. And if society and the socially acceptable forms of communication are being controlled in a way to limit your ability to be heard, then your freedom of speech is being infringed in a way.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

They used media, TV, Radio, Newspaper, whatever the most widespread forms of communication were. Youtube has over a billion active users per year. That is 3 times the population of the US. It is not out of the question for people to use Youtube as a platform for free speech, seeing as how it has become such a popular medium.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: dalepmay

I slightly disagree. Freedom of speech in a way has always relied on at least a platform to provide it for you. Saying you don't need to depend on others for your own freedom of speech is like saying you can sit in your backyard and say whatever you want. The point of free speech is to be heard by others. And if society and the socially acceptable forms of communication are being controlled in a way to limit your ability to be heard, then your freedom of speech is being infringed in a way.

What's stopping anyone from running a server and hosting any content they want to be 'heard'?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

We really forget these are companies and can run them however. We have only 1 right when we view them...and it's to go elsewhere if you don't like it.

They are worldwide...and if you didn't realize, so are it's contributors in countries that have no or limited free speech.

We can go elsewhere...

No, not if they are operated as a utility, like they currently are. Different laws apply, and free speech is one of them.

The internet may operate as a utility, the software running on a server owed and maintained by someone else is not. It's proprietary. No one is entitled to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Unless you agree with the government regulating private corporations, they are free to do what they want.

If you don’t like it, make your own video hosting service and stop relying on other people to give you your freedom of speech. That’s how this whole thing is supposed to work anyway.

Did he say YouTube isn't allowed to do this? No, he didn't.

Does what you said here change the fact that YouTube is censoring people? No.

You are correct, if he doesn't like the way YouTube handles it's business then he is free to use a different platform. It's not like YouTube is the only game in town. I have already moved on and deleted Twitter, Facebook and am working on getting rid of YouTube completely. When this blatant censorship affects enough people and the masses find there is another platform that doesn't censor them or restrict their viewing experience as much as YouTube does then YouTube will soon find itself lacking users and thus advertisers and will eventually just become another number in the massive corpse pile of dead websites.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The "what about" you are avoiding in the real world reality has already been mentioned by other posters, but since you've missed it I'll try and restate.

Your suggestion of starting a mom and pop business of video sharing services to compete with the cooperate giant that is youtube is laughable. You condescendingly suggest laziness on the part of all concerned parties but you fail to address the monopoly youtube has on this form of service when the reality is 99% of us don't have close to the financial resources for such an undertaking. The 1% that might (or .1%) benefits from the status quo as it is their bidding.

Fundemtal concepts in our social contract have been eroded for the individual while cooperate entities gain a stronger foothold. The freemaket should be able to resolve the issue on its own, but it's the free market that is weakened over time to make room for the bastardization we have today.

You state youtube isn't some "octopus" company with its tenticles in everything, it's just another business trying to make its way. It's parent company google just might be that exact thing, I think you would have a real challenge convincing someone on the street let alone on this platform otherwise.

I agree youtube has the right to put its own rules in place regarding content it hosts, and how it's reached to its users. The point you won't acknowledge being this type of censorship weponizes the platform and allows for the continuation of an "approved" version of dialog. How can one find truth if we cover its light with a blanket?

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Timing seems suspicious to me. What happened with the hackers that were selling off thousands upon thousands of documents pertaining to 9/11?

I know that doesn't mean much...but need to stem the flow of "false info" videos that may come from any leaked docs before they come streaming in!

After that is handled, they might as well finish sweeping up the rest of the dirt and get rid of all other "fake" videos. Lord knows that people are morons and cannot think for themselves. Thank God we have Google, YT, Silicon Valley, and the 3 letter agencies that run them to tell us what is real and what isn't.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer
You are right.

And also
Well apparently someone didn't like a comment about what i had stated about migrants so for the first time my comment was removed by YouTube.
No action will be taken at this time though. I wont be talking about politics on YouTube thats for sure anytime soon.

And the fact YouTube is going to strike down alternative views and opinions its very concerning.
edit on 30-1-2019 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

And the fact YouTube is going to strike down alternative views and opinions its very concerning.

Alternative views are different than blatant lies.
They are also going after nibiru believers. I've seen several nibiru channels go poof in the past couple months.
Hopefully they will add flat Earth channels to the chopping block too.

There has and always will be censorship. You do it with your kids too.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 02:45 AM
link   
There is undoubtably a problem with the internet in general and false information being spread. It's a bit of a double edge sword on the one hand the internet has gave us the ability to tap into pretty much any information and knowledge we wish yet on the other hand it is also full of inaccurate information. Critical thinking skills are also sorely lacking these days I believe and people have a tendency to only look for information that backs up their preconceived views of the world, confirmation bias is rife online. This I believe has made us all more ignorant, therefore I think it is incumbent upon the internet giants to take steps to ensure that information claiming to be factual is actually factual.

Believing that vitamin C or fasting for example is going to cure cancer isn't a fact, pushing it online as if it is a fact is wrong. As is claiming that 9/11 was a false flag, while you might believe that, while you might have questions about the official story there is still zero factual evidence that supports the false flag hypothesis. Pushing this false narrative that 9/11 was a false flag is in my view, stealing history for future generations, its putting a question mark over an event in history that I along with many others on this site lived through and can remember very well. If a 16 year old these days goes to do some 9/11 research though they are bombarded with inaccurate information coming from conspiracy sites.

In my view it's wrong to push revisionist history as if its fact. I think that YouTube has a obligation to history to stamp out the lies that are spread about 9/11 and other historical events.

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dalepmay

It is not out of the question for people to use Youtube as a platform for free speech, seeing as how it has become such a popular medium.

No its not

however do the users set the rules on you tube?

If you came into my house weekly/daily and got comfortable putting your feet on my coffee table without me saying anything until I realize my coffee table is getting ruined.

So next time you come over I tell you that you cant do that anymore because its damaging and could get worse if I keep allowing it, you think you have a say in my home?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join