It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You say you care about your nation, but do you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

The " I don't want to be ruled by Germany because we fought them in WW2".

I think the crux is we don't want to be ruled by anyone other than our own Parliament.
edit on 25-1-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Have you heard of a Demarchy before? This I believe is the only fair system of government possible.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Well this is my country (so don't tell me to move) and I don't want to be ruled by this parliament, bunch of wan***s and in it for themselves. But they wont give me a referendum to get rid of them, I've got to wait 4 years for that choice.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

I like it, in principle. I think there would have to be a good hard look had at psychological screening to keep that pool clear of people who want to watch things burn just because fire is pretty, but I would be ok with it if it could implemented and the kinks worked out. It would be a damned sight easier to swallow than leadership by the same amoralists as always ever is.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I came across this, and was pleasantly surprised so I thought I'd share it here.

In this day and age of politically correctness I can only call him a true 'gentleman'

And raise a glass to him, Alex Von Schoenburg

He truly gets Brexit.

We Germans owe Britain a great debt — and should let you leave Europe with the concessions you need and your heads held high, writes ALEX VON SCHOENBURG

As March 29 looms ever closer, here in Germany, rabid, anti-British sentiment is part of the daily discourse.

The chattering classes — politicians and pundits alike — are urging our Chancellor, Angela Merkel, to harden her line towards the United Kingdom after suggestions that she was prepared to throw Theresa May a lifeline. Indeed last week, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, Merkel’s successor-in-waiting, led calls for Britain to scrap Brexit completely.

Germans are far from alone in this attitude. In the wake of the momentous Commons defeat for your Prime Minister’s Brexit strategy, the
European Commission twisted the thumbscrews still further.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, suggested it was time for the UK to abandon its ‘red lines’ over ending freedom of movement and the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice.

Yet these issues have been unshakable stipulations for the British since the beginning of talks. To casually propose dumping them in this way was insulting to your country.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, was, regrettably, similarly dismissive when he said that Brexit was a British problem and one it would have to solve on its own.

Such blinkered and sour responses are, in my view, wrong-headed. They ignore the great debt that Germany, and the whole Continent, owes our friends across the Channel.

However much we in Europe regret your decision to leave our Community, we must always remember that, throughout your history, independence and sovereignty have been paramount. Germany in particular should tread lightly when it comes to dealing with your proud nation.

It was Great Britain that first stood up to Hitler in 1939. And it was Britain that opened its doors to the thousands of Jewish refugees fleeing certain death during the Holocaust.

Put simply, there would be no free Europe without you and the bloody sacrifice you made to rescue the Continent. This plain fact has not always been a popular one, of course. The truth is that there has been a long tradition of policies aimed at excluding the British Isles from Europe, most notably those of French president, Charles De Gaulle.

After the war, inspired by dreams of the medieval empire that stretched across the Continent under Charlemagne, De Gaulle poured his energy into setting up the European Economic Community — the forerunner of the EU.

But when Britain inquired about membership in the early Sixties, his answer was an emphatic ‘Non!’

Thanks to De Gaulle’s opposition, it took more than a decade for the UK to be accepted. And the driving force for unity, for welcoming British membership with open arms, was the German chancellor of the Sixties, Konrad Adenauer.

For that, ultimately, we can thank the Queen.

We needed Britain 80 years ago and we need you now.

And because we should honour the result of your referendum, we must be happy to take you on your own terms. If that means a form of semi-membership with full sovereignty, so be it.

There has been much talk of the problem of the Irish ‘backstop’ — but for Europe, Britain is the real backstop. Without you, power in Europe will tend to gravitate ever more to the centre which will ultimately risk implosion.

European politics today seems to be full of De Gaulles, shaking their fists at Britain as you try to leave the EU.

What is needed is another statesman such as Adenauer — a man or woman to stand up to the bureaucratic machine of Brussels, who will
take on the Barniers, the Junckers and the Tusks. We need someone who can remind us of our bounden duty and enable the UK to leave without
punishing it.

A real statesman would rekindle Adenauer’s historic vision of the EU, as a federation of states and not some kind of bloated super-state — a confederation, that does not neglect the historic peculiarities of its members.

In many ways the problem is one of historical ignorance.

What we Germans and especially EU bureaucrats don’t appreciate is the delicate political situation in Northern Ireland, and the sensitivities involved on both sides. We know little of the tragic legacy of ‘The Troubles’, the deaths of so many, including British soldiers, and the hard won peace after 30 years.

More people in the British Isles were killed by the IRA than by Isis and Al-Qaeda combined. That statistic ought to make all of us in Europe rethink our position on the question of the Irish backstop.

We have to be more flexible, more forgiving.

Instead of torturing the world’s oldest democracy with unacceptable demands, our Chancellor Frau Merkel and the European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker should unite in calling for new talks, renegotiating face to face if need be.

Theresa May has been gravely weakened but it is unconscionable for European leaders to use this as a stick to beat her with.

Seen from that perspective, it’s imperative that Brexit is achieved with a degree of aplomb and decorum. At this crucial moment, Europe must concede enough to let the UK leave with head held high — and do it in style.

If, instead, our leaders continue to treat the British people with contempt, we will wreck those great ties between our countries that have been painstakingly created over many generations.

Our societies have always thrived on mutual respect and admiration. We are brothers and sisters ... and this family squabble has gone too far.

It is time for Chancellor Merkel to show other European leaders the way and for them all to start treating your country as it deserves — with our respect and gratitude.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 25-1-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Nothing says you love your nation like selling it out to foreign un-elected politicians and their international bankster counterparts.

posted on Jan, 26 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yes the kinks would have to be worked out, some kind of screening would have to be applied. It has it’s flaws sure, but it’s major strength is dismantling the ability to bribe and corrupt career politicians. It would do away with the charade of the two party system most democracies have and in one fell swoop cripple the self interest of their respective donors.

If it’s the best solution for our legal systems surely it can be applied to our government? I don’t know of such a system applied since the ancient Greeks used it, I wonder why that is and why most people have never even heard of such a system? I suspect it has been hidden under the rug on purpose, as history has shown us every other type of political system can be and has been corrupted. The machinations of the powerful and those that seek it are deep and Machiavellian at best. We should be ever vigilant against their agendas and a Demarchy seems to be the best way to curtail them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join