It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Glacial Maximum. Why are the glaciers not centered on the North Pole?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
So, it's well known that the primary cause of the Earth's axial stability is the Moon orbiting it. There are other planets out there that are not very axially stable, and so their North Pole drifts around a lot.

Interesting thing I just came across, though:

en.wikipedia.org...

This article takes a while getting to it, but close to the end of the section it quotes a height of the tidal bulge as being 0.7 Meters. Not really very high. In total, I am sure it is quite a lot of water being displaced but still not not the monstrous force I thought it would be. That is what you'd have to overwhelm in order to move Earth's axis.

The Haiawatha impact, on the other hand, would have melted a huge section out of a glacier a mile tall in some places, and over a large area.

phys.org...

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of displaced mass were quite a bit greater than the amount of mass that gets displaced by the tides.

And until the glacier grow back, that empty spot in the planet's mass distribution is just sitting there. Doing exactly what the tides do, except in this case it is acting against axial stability, instead of in favor of it.

<< 1   >>

join