It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printed House Coming to Small Town Central Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Well it seems a 3D printed house is coming to my little town. I am going to be watching this in action as it is going to be close.

www.chron.com...-16791059

"An Austin-based company is preparing to build one of the first 3D-printed houses in the country in Central Texas this year.
In contrast to the pricy, time-consuming traditional home building process, Sunconomy touts its We Print Houses system as one that can build affordable homes in just two to three months.
The flexibility of the 3D machine enables aesthetic attributes like curved walls that would otherwise be difficult or costly, Larry Haines, founder of We Print Houses, said.
"(A person) can buy this home, an affordable home, that looks like it was made for a millionaire," he said.

Haines spent 35 years working in the construction industry before he began to dabble with 3D-printed houses in 2015, working with Russian company Apis Cor. His work with them eventually fell through, but his name was on their website for about a year. During that year, he amassed a list more than 1,700 names long of residents and real estate agents interested in houses and equipment, he said.
Those interested always have two questions: Can you get permits, and have you ever built one?
He's gotten permits, so Feb. 11 he intends to begin construction on his first house in Lago Vista, which will serve as a demonstration house.
It will sit on small lot overlooking the Colorado River. Its three bedrooms and two bathrooms will be on the ground floor, along with a dining room, office space and kitchen, renderings show. The living room will extend from the first floor up to the roof, which will be mostly flat, for entertaining and gardening.
Because it's a demonstration house, Haines is "pulling out all the stops," so the list price will be about twice as much as a standard 3D-printed house of that size. He declined to disclose the exact price, but said most typical houses will be about $100 per square foot, excluding the land they sit on.

Haines' house will be one of the first in the country in which the entire structure (walls, floor and ceiling) are 3D printed.
He uses hydrophobic, self-binding geopolymer cement that not only complies with the international building codes, but also meets many of the standards required by cities that are more susceptible to dangerous weather, such as parts of Florida and California. The materials and the design will ensure the printed houses can withstand winds of up to 250 mph and are fairly immune to hail and fire damage, Haines said......."

We shall see how it goes....
edit on 24-1-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

Wow, from the article, it sounds like the building material will actually be top notch:

"Because of the materials we use, we don't have to skimp on meeting the standards," Haines said. "And the maintenance is very low because this geopolymer concrete that we're using is the same the Romans used to build the aqueducts and the ports. Waves have been hitting that concrete for 2,000 years, and it's still ther

I looked around at houses when buying and the majority of the recent construction looked like garbage. I purchased a house that was built back in the 30s with plaster & lath, also very good exterior construction. I haven't really had to sink any money into it outside of a new roof for almost 20 years now.

But if they started making quality housing again....

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I completely understand, we are always doing up keep. Ugh.

I do wonder how this material would hold up at the coast to hurricane and flooding.

I really am curious about this house, I just hope it is not a failure.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I have been watching this for years and was flabbergasted at just how quick they can throw up a house walls try 24 hrs ! This will revolutionize the building industry and lower the cost of homes , it is a win win for all

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam
This is exciting to me.
I am going to get my crazy fun friend to go with me on the start day to watch the process.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

This is the big advance the building trade needed too cut costs and labour for properties there are some good vids on youtube about this i watched years ago , strange it is only coming to America now as China has been experimenting with it but the Russians took a while getting this to market

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Great news I hope it takes off, I'm just sitting on a block of land and if that technology is successful I will more that certainly have one built myself.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I really think 3d printing and other miniaturized small scale manufacturing is going to revolutionize the world if it takes off. It has the potential to reshape the economy and the entire global supply and trade network in a good way. Much like the way the internet equalized opportunities for people around the world, it brings the ability for anyone to to begin manufacturing things. The cost of materials and the machines themselves keep dropping while the variety of materials able to be printed and just the amount and complexity of things able to be printed keeps increasing.

Hopefully it can help the world step back a bit from the mass corporate controlled globalized world we're heading towards and one more where things are produced and manufactured locally. Taking power away from corporations and bringing it back to communities and people.

top topics

join