It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Hunter-B Flying Wing UAV Breaks Cover

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The 2020s are going to be effing lit, from a defense news standpoint.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

The Russians are stating the Ohotnik is going to be ISR only, no strike. Either that sucker is very long range with massive amounts of fuel or they have the volume for the weapons bays in the future.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Erm, the plan has always been for it to be armed (UCAV)...

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

It was. They're saying in press it will only be used for ISR.

Obfuscation? Adding capability later? Some official is talking out is ass? Someone misreporting?

IDK.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They also said the Avangard can reach Mach 27.

#BelieveAllRussians

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

ISR-only? Yeah, sure Ivan, we believe you...

The fact of the matter is that the Russians seem to be building a frontal stealth-optimized Loyal Wingman-type UCAV the size of an F-16 that judging by the engine choice, will probably be supersonic.

It may not be as stealthy as our designs, but if they get it right, this could be a very capable platform from a country that has no qualms exporting stuff like this.

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Just a few thoughts

The Russians are the masters at limited or no production vaporware. I mean the av forum is a literal wiki page of bogus Russian gear. Plasma stealth anybody? This could be a one off, test bed etc.

This thing has loyal wingman/UCAV written all over it.

I doubt highly it will be supersonic. Also note that there has NEVER been a supersonic flying wing. The general thickness of the fuselage needed to make it stealthy and bury all of the non stealthy stuff make that an engineering nightmare and perhaps beyond our present technology....

And thanks I have the greatest song about Supersonic from the classic 80's group JJ Fad stuck in my head

ou see, the "S" is for super
And the "U" is for unique
The "P" is for perfection
And you know that we are freaks
The "E" is for exotic
And the "R" is for raps
So tell those nosy people just to stay the hell back

AGGGGGGGGGG make it stop
edit on 8/9/19 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

It was. They're saying in press it will only be used for ISR.

Obfuscation? Adding capability later? Some official is talking out is ass? Someone misreporting?

IDK.

Pretty much everything has been transparent about developing a UCAV for strike. Even named it "Hunter". It has four weapons bays.

Not sure what you've been reading, but it's obviously been designed for strike.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Remember that the Russians are arguably the masters of thrust vectoring, if there was ever a country to try building a transsonic/supersonic flying wing that used thrust vectoring for yaw control, it'd be them. Once you use the engine as the vertical stabilizer, the rest of the aircraft could easily become like a tailless Avro Vulcan or Dassault Mirage.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

And hunting dogs don't always do a kill, do they?

Can you highlight the weapons bays in the pictures so far?

I'll get the link as soon as I am able.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They've been pretty straight forward:
tvzvezda.ru...

Tass release describes it as a "strike UAV".

“The Okhotnik’s arsenal includes air-to-surface missiles and an array of bombs (glide and operator-controlled) that will not be suspended from the wings, but hidden inside the body to reduce visibility on enemy radar,” Professor Vadim Kozyulin of the Russian Academy of Military Sciences told the publication “Russia Beyond”. 

theaviationist.com...

Etc, etc.

Switched from two to four bays. In the prototype, one holds the APU, which you can see in the pictures. I'll try to dig out sources later.

edit on 10-8-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Wings arent really that long so not a real high flier.Thick body could hold a lot of fuel or they could retrofit a weapons bay for fuel.
I could see it used in low level conflicts but even now 3rd world countries are getting high tech SAMSs and Manpads trickle through.
If they work well I can see the USN kicking themselves after the Xb47 UCAV debacle..

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I'll have to retract. The source was in Russian quoting the MOD, but I can't find it. So, no proof, no support, can't make the claim.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Media is pretty universally terrible. Even worse when it is "general" media trying to report on technical subjects. I haven't read anything about it being ISR only. We have a couple years of talk about the development of Ohotnik as a strike platform, so I'd probably toss a single report unless it starts gaining traction.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I think it's basically a long-legged F-117 analogue. They might have kept the supersonic dash requirement, but it's an extra hurdle. They want it to fly fast down in the weeds. That's probably a mistake from an operational standpoint, but it would still present some significant problems for team blue, particularly if it has legs.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Eh.... Looks like things have not progressed much since the early 1940's.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

That's like comparing the Sopwith Camel to a Pitts Special. They might look similar, but they're nothing alike.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yea, I know.
If nothing else, it shows how far advanced the Germans were in aircraft design.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

The flying wing, like the jet engine has an interesting history. There were quite a few people working on them around the same time. The Germans were definitely a leader in the field, but there's a lot more to the story.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

*chuckles in Jack Nothrop*

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join