It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Hunter-B Flying Wing UAV Breaks Cover

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The Sentinel RQ 170? went down in Iran either due to loss of power to make it back to base at Kandahar, or because the Iranians hacked it. It was collecting info over borders troops couldnt cross. A taliban ho chi mihn trail spy.

Its bumps were antennas to help monitor multiple sources at once. Some bumps may be related to sound and heat signatures. A bump may be a nozzle for example, to release hot exhaust into ambient air in a way to reduce signature. Same same with sound vents.

a reply to: Masisoar

edit on 1/24/2019 by FrostyFlakes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

If one must read the drive, take anything factual the drive plagiarizes from other sources on the web, and then find the article's unattributed sources to find the broader context and reality of what they are "reporting" and throw out the other 30% as some enthusiast's opinion.

I'm all for the speculation game, just know those guys are aggregating info from other unattributed sources that they then spread and speculate on it. And they haven't been very good at connecting the dots and painting a picture.

As always, ymmv

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

The writers at the drive need an editor. That's all I'm going to say.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Speculative layout and size:

tehnoomsk.ru...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 24-1-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I'm guessing it'll come out a bit bigger span based on the pictures. But pretty nifty work.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It is nifty work. I'd like to know the banana, ahem, tractor model type for scale to get a more accurate span.

Engine doesn't look right at the back in the drawing or I might be misinterpreting what I am seeing (I need more coffee).

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FrostyFlakes

It wasn't hacked, it was spoofed. If it was hacked they would have been able to land it somewhere other than the middle of the desert where it would have to be cut up and moved out in pieces.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Ignore the "analysis", there are some interesting pictures of the rear of the aircraft.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I'm guessing the drawing/diagram predates the latest photos.

ETA: ie, the earlier photos show a cleaner rear end with a flatter nozzle for eflux
edit on 24-1-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Variable vectoring thrust nozzle?Or is it something that all Russian aircraft must have the ability to do the "Cobra" maneuver now.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Might also be a case of, "we have these handy" and all they are doing right now is validating and gathering data and systems by flight testing. Keeping the can and turkey feathers still definitely seems a head-scratcher, even for a temporary testing-only arrangement.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Ignore the "analysis", there are some interesting pictures of the rear of the aircraft.

What's so wrong about their article and analysis in your opinion?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

It is nifty work. I'd like to know the banana, ahem, tractor model type for scale to get a more accurate span.

Bill Sweetman's got you.

Tractorology? 

I'd say that the Kirovets K 700 is pretty much overkill for an airplane tug, but you go with what you've got. 

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Sweetman?

shoot. that case I need to reevaluate my av-fan status...

A little more info, but not much:

theaviationist.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It's got a non stealthy engine nozzle.

Does anyone know how much that affects the stealth?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

From the side and rear, it's not good. As RR has pointed out, the Russians may not care about loitering sneakily like the US does.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Or we're all overreacting to developmental test article and they plan something completely different for the eventual finished product (like the rcs or structural test model seen previously that featured a more "conventional" aft end for contemporary LO flying wings). Still an odd choice to keep what looks like it is essentially an unmodified engine from the Su-57 program, imo.

edit on 25-1-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

ok. So it's mostly head on stealth.

That seems to be the way the Russians are going with most of their new stealth platforms.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

There were some interesting rumors that a couple of our newer platforms had to fly with more conventional exhaust because the tricks they tried to hide the exhaust didn't work the way they thought. In one case almost disastrously according to the rumor mill.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join