It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Day 34 of the Shutdown - The U.S. Senate Will Vote on Two Bills To Re-Open Government.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Since December 22, 2018, about 25% of the U.S. Government has been shut down.
What's Shut Down: www.cbsnews.com...

Tomorrow will be the 34th day of the partial shutdown. The U.S. Senate will vote on 2 bills that will restore the federal government to 100% functionality:

WASHINGTON — The Senate is scheduled to vote Thursday afternoon on two competing bills that aim to re-open the federal government, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., announced Tuesday afternoon.

McConnell announced Tuesday that the Senate hold a vote on a proposal made by President Donald Trump over the weekend that would re-open the government in exchange for $5.7 billion in border wall funding and temporary protection for some immigrants brought to the country illegally as children, among other immigration provisions.

Separately, the GOP-controlled Senate will vote Thursday afternoon on a Democratic short-term spending bill that excludes border wall funding and would reopen the government until Feb. 8. It would also include funding to respond to natural disasters. If all Democrats voted in favor of this measure, 13 Republicans would need to back it for it to move on to a final vote.
More at: www.nbcnews.com...

Our cynical Mainstream Media are predicting that BOTH bills will fail to garner the required 60 votes for passage.

Why would Mitch McConnell bring both the Democrat and the Republican government funding bills to the Senate floor for an official vote, if he felt they would fail?

If both bills fail, the 25% government shut-down could continue indefinitely.

Maybe both Democrats and Republicans would then urge President Trump to declare a national emergency, to get sections of the border security wall built/installed, and then vote to immediately fund and re-open the government.

-CareWeMust

edit on 1/23/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If the short term bill passes, Trump loses his leverage. Wouldn't count on that one.

I also doubt that the D's are going to come off their magic number zero for wall funding.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

What if the short-term/No Wall bill passes, but President Trump refuses to sign it?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Then he can properly own the shut-down.

Congress will finally have done their jobs.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Then he can properly own the shut-down.

Congress will finally have done their jobs.

Voters wanted a "balanced" Congress.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The bill would have to be Vetoed, reintroduced in congress and passed by the chamber that introduced it by 2/3rds then also get 2/3rds in the other chamber to over rule the veto

edit on 23-1-2019 by dubiousatworst because: grammar

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
The bill would have to be Vetoed, reintroduced in congress and passed by the chamber that introduced it by 2/3rds then also get 2/3rds in the other chamber to over rule the veto

Hell...by then, most of the 800,000 laid off employees will have found a job in the private sector.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Then he owns it, the shutdown, I mean.

I don't think that one clears the floor. The other might, but I doubt it. There is now far too much invested by the President on the wall, to accept anything less than the almost 6 billion for the wall.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It's going to be a 'who will cave first' type deal.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   

That's been the case from day one of this nonsense.

The easiest way for this to end would be for the President to agree to getting the money later, in exchange for signing a spending bill.

However, the problem with that is, he can not trust the Democrats in the House to do that. Were I him, I'd tell 'em straight out, no recess until a spending bill with the money for the wall in it, is on my desk. Period. Special session until it happens.

It's time, and past, for Congress to get off their dead asses and deal with this, more specifically the House.
edit on 1/23/2019 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Iirc that's why he signed the omnibus bill.

Also agreed on him not trusting democrats at all. They've made that bed and dug that grave.

#resist.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I don't know why Mitch McConnell would bring both bills forward if he knew they would fail, but I'm pretty sure they are going to fail, and I'm pretty sure he has a reason. It might be that he has to appear as if he's doing something. It might be better than nothing.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I'm confused how they can be voting on a "bill" introduced by the President. Last time I checked legislation has to start in the House before getting passed on to the Senate.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

wasn't that one of the issues that was brought up in a lawsuit against obamacare?

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

my guess is that it will be the workers who cave first. not only are they being asked to work without pay, but I hear that tsa workers are being asked to temporarily relocate to other cities that have too many calling in sick.
so, not only are they not gonna pay you so you can have the money you need for the rent/mortgage on the house you have, but they think you should go off and take on another rent payment also I guess.

when the workers stop showing up for work, it will be time for a national emergency only it won't be a wall that needs to be addressed it will be how much more money and perks will we have to give the federal workers to bribe them to come back

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The short term bill proposed by the Democrats only lasts till Feb 8, then we are right back jonesin' for omnibus.

If I were an independent Republican I might swing vote for a long term democratic incentive containing new legislation that actually balanced the loss of the southern border security incentive. An additional $12.1 billion package to help rebuild California, Florida and Alabama won't help the other southern states however California could use some of that money to offset costs of monitoring the Tijuana border if they saw the need.

Might be a few short trunked Republicans that would vote for a short term bill but I hope not.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Since December 22, 2018, about 25% of the U.S. Government has been shut down.
What's Shut Down: www.cbsnews.com...

Tomorrow will be the 34th day of the partial shutdown. The U.S. Senate will vote on 2 bills that will restore the federal government to 100% functionality:

WASHINGTON — The Senate is scheduled to vote Thursday afternoon on two competing bills that aim to re-open the federal government, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., announced Tuesday afternoon.

McConnell announced Tuesday that the Senate hold a vote on a proposal made by President Donald Trump over the weekend that would re-open the government in exchange for $5.7 billion in border wall funding and temporary protection for some immigrants brought to the country illegally as children, among other immigration provisions.

Separately, the GOP-controlled Senate will vote Thursday afternoon on a Democratic short-term spending bill that excludes border wall funding and would reopen the government until Feb. 8. It would also include funding to respond to natural disasters. If all Democrats voted in favor of this measure, 13 Republicans would need to back it for it to move on to a final vote.
More at: www.nbcnews.com...

Our cynical Mainstream Media are predicting that BOTH bills will fail to garner the required 60 votes for passage.

Why would Mitch McConnell bring both the Democrat and the Republican government funding bills to the Senate floor for an official vote, if he felt they would fail?

If both bills fail, the 25% government shut-down could continue indefinitely.

Maybe both Democrats and Republicans would then urge President Trump to declare a national emergency, to get sections of the border security wall built/installed, and then vote to immediately fund and re-open the government.

-CareWeMust

It appears the plan is to get those who vote no on the record for their vote.
Making some in the senate vote against things they have voted for in the past shows the "shutdown" is for political points only and not for any actual issue.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I have to agree.

In fact, I think repubs have been courting moderate Democrats on the issue, in other words, get some of the enemy to break ranks.

The liberal media is spinning Pelosi as "out trolling" and "winning the debacle", however, it's anything but and the cracks are showing with some dems already breaking ranks on their own to with "just give him the money!".

I've also noticed an increased campaign on the border walls "why" on over social media, coupled with the POTUS continued firm resolve and support, I've seen nothing from the Dems side trying to oppose other than the usual interviews when they come across Pelosi. They've no explaination other then their emotions on it and that's all.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It looks like even President Trump doesn't expect either bill to pass in the U.S. Senate tomorrow.

President Donald Trump is preparing for two different State of the Union speeches – one a more traditional address delivered to Congress in the House chamber or some other location in D.C., the other prepared for a political rally at a location outside of Washington, D.C. that has yet to be determined, according to multiple sources familiar with the planning.

Sources told ABC News that the president was previously planning two separate versions of the State of the Union – one version if the government was still shut down and another if the government was open.

However, now the planning has evolved, assuming the government shutdown could drag on past next Tuesday – the expected delivery date of the address. If the president decides to deliver a speech in rally form, it would mark the first rally style event the president has attended since the partial shutdown began.
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
January 23, 2019

UPDATE: President Trump Accepts Nancy Pelosi's invitation to deliver the SOTU address at the U.S. House, next Tuesday.
twitter.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join