It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Angels landing accident at El Centro

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
One of the Blue Angels F-18 aircraft was damaged today in a landing accident at NAF El Centro. The aircraft was coming in to land, when the MLG failed to extend. The aircraft suffered an unknown amount of damage, but there were no injuries.

More when available.

airshowstuff.com...

www.navy.mil...

edit on 1/22/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

I was at the crash in Beaufort in 2007. I've heard from a couple different sources that the Blue Angels are not maintained as well as they should be.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Old aircraft that see a lot harder use than any other aircraft in their inventory. They are maintained as well as can be, but they're not new aircraft and they have retired some with the airframe physically deformed.
edit on 1/22/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I get that, but I've heard about forged maintenance records and young airmen given free reign on maintenance as they travel around. I've heard that from people I've known for 20+ years, people I trust.

And in Beaufort I was one of the 1st to the crash site. I saw with my own eyes that the canopy didn't jettison, the pilot went through the canopy. The rocket motors on the seat were only partially fired.

More than a few things didn't work as they should have.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

There's a lot of pressure on them to get their shows off and to fly with minor issues until they get home and can fix them there. They don't have everything they need on the road with them, so if it's not a serious safety of flight issue they fly with it. Add in the fact they they're some of the oldest aircraft still flying, and you'll see issues on all of them. It becomes a "can we live with it" scenario.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Makes sense, but I'm glad I'm not a pilot.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
One less classic Hornet to sell to Canada is all.

They (Blue Angels) should be getting Rhinos soon.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

They're supposed to transition after this season and fly their first actual season by 2021.

new topics

top topics

join