It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Lets Trump's Transgender Military Ban Take Effect

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

What about chicks with silicone breasts?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I feel the result of this will be a bunch of whiny people (trans and otherwise) who are overly emotional and do not belong in the military, and a bunch of level-headed individuals (trans or otherwise) who understand the logical reasoning for this decision and are of sound enough mind to serve.

Perhaps we can use it as some sort of entry test for the military.

Like that old frat joke where the last thing you had to do to get into the frat was to have sex with a goat. The ones that did it were not let in because, you know, they're psychotic goat f***ers.
edit on 1/22/2019 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

There is nothing that physically makes anyone who is transgender unable to preform the roles of a solider.

Its more than just physical... BTW what if an over weight person can pass all physical tests better than people that are not over weight, it doesn't matter... They also don't allow single parents to join, do not allow conditions that need meds such as allegories in some cases. Can a transgender go 6 months in the field with no meds? This is not even addressing the elephant in the corner of mental wellness that is also a big factor that transgender do have issues due to just the nature of their condition.

edit on 22-1-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: scojak

The ones that did it were not let in because, you know, they're psychotic goat f***ers.

Have sex with one goat and no one will let it down....

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Oh, I 100% agree on that. I definitely do not want the military to be an equal opportunity employer. I think my set back is that transgender people are not technically considered mentally ill. Even though it is a somewhat popular public opinion, I base my opinion of the DSM - V. Who knows, one day it may include that.

I am not asking the military to let anyone slide or rearrange any of their entrance qualifications. I just don't really care if someone is transgender as long as I am not paying for it and they prove themselves worthy.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The ones that did it were not let in because, you know, they're psychotic goat f***ers.

Augustus....is that you?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Have there been conclusive studies on a biological male taking estrogen or a biological female taking testosterone?

In what regards?

Again it shouldn't matter, so long as you can meet the standards you should be able to join up.

I'm not aware, but the military also views things differently. While private sector can't discriminate against certain things, the military can.

Well it depends on what is being discriminated against, it's entirely possible to discriminate on medical grounds in both the public sector and in the military. You have to be physically able to do the job, my stance is basically that so long as you meet those standards then you should be aloud to do the job regardless of your gender status. I also think that gender dysmorphia is interesting in that its one of those things thats rare in that it blurs the line between a mental illness and how one identifies their gender which complicates this.

On the one hand you cannot discriminate based on gender, meet the grade we let you in, simple.

You could however make an argument for exemption based on the condition of gender dysmorphia making a individual unable to serve in the military but then to do that you have to be able to demonstrate that individuals who have gender dysmorphia are physically unable to preform the role. To my knowledge I have not seen any evidence that they would be unable to do this, indeed they have been doing it for a few years now and serve openly in other nations militaries.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

Augustus....is that you?

No....

But my dad did leave to get ciggarettes when I was 2. Bless his heart, I think he's still looking for them.

So maybe he's my papa.... if so, I hope he can find those cigs so we can finally play catch.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Transgender persons serve in various militaries in various roles around the world.

They have been doing so in the US Military openly for a few years now also.

Why then can't they now?

What is so different about the US military now that all of a sudden these people who where fully able to serve a few hours ago and are fully able to serve in the militaries of other developed states are unable to serve in the American military.

link   

Transgender persons serve in various militaries in various roles around the world.

They have been doing so in the US Military openly for a few years now also.

Why then can't they now?

What is so different about the US military now that all of a sudden these people who where fully able to serve a few hours ago and are fully able to serve in the militaries of other developed states are unable to serve in the American military.

link   

But I got caught with pot when I was 17, so they said no since their numbers weren't down.

I probably could have gotten a waiver, but I took it as a sig and didn't try further.

We need to understand the military does not use small brushes...they use big wide brushes and in every case even with transgender we can look at each case, such as yours, they would be exceptional in the military, but the military deals with a lot of people so it is the wide brush mentality. I know people over weight that are extremely fit...I joked about opening up a gym called Fit Fat... that wide brush says 35 BMI even if you can run a mile under 6 minutes.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
No one seems to mention at all the fact that its an ELECTIVE surgery, that takes time out of your service.....

I agree on this....Do it after you get out......

I dont care one way or another what someone wants to be, or if they want to transition, whatever......

But this could affect deployments and many other things, for something , again, that is ELECTIVE......

Wait till your time is up then get it done.......

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Again it shouldn't matter, so long as you can meet the standards you should be able to join up.

You know you can't join if you've ever been prescribed adderal or any other ADHD medication right? You know some of those kids basically have weaponized hyperactive disorder? Some of them could totally do some of the jobs, maybe even better than most. But rules is rules.

Is it possible that we could compare someone on hormone treatment to that of someone who receives chemical altering treatments?

Keep in mind, we're just discussing, at the end of the day it's not up to me, and as you saw, I got turned down myself for smoking a doobie as a kid.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Ya, but it's a widely known fact that goats have incredibly small sphincters, and anyone capable of completing such a process will undoubtedly also be suffering from a debilitating penile Napoleonic complex.
edit on 1/22/2019 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I think that's a very good point. They spend enough money trying to get the ones who do make it through the tight parameters only to get a fraction make it through boot camp and MOS.

Part of it is if you don't meet the guidelines, you have to prove you want it.... I obviously didn't haha, so maybe they're on to something.

In hindsight, I'm glad they turned me down, I've held great jobs since and it didn't offend me that I got turned away.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

Ya, but it's a widely known fact that goats have incredibly small sphincters, and anyone capable of completing such a process will undoubtedly also be suffering from a debilitating penile Napoleonic complex.

This guy knows his goats^^^^^

Sorry you didn't get into the frat, hope you're coping with that complex now further into adulthood. lol.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You know you can't join if you've ever been prescribed adderal or any other ADHD medication right? You know some of those kids basically have weaponized hyperactive disorder? Some of them could totally do some of the jobs, maybe even better than most. But rules is rules.

Is it possible that we could compare someone on hormone treatment to that of someone who receives chemical altering treatments?

Keep in mind, we're just discussing, at the end of the day it's not up to me, and as you saw, I got turned down myself for smoking a doobie as a kid.

I think I would go back to what I said, in my opinion if you are able to meet the standards set by the military to serve then you should be able to.

So if you have ADHD but you're off meds, are stable enough to pass through basic training then yeah, you should be able to serve.

I am sure that there are a lot of conditions that I might find that are exclusions that I might disagree with on that same basis it just so happens that one of them in gender dysmorphia. I also think its stupid you were denied the opportunity to serve because you enjoyed the magic dragon as a teenager.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

This guy knows his goats^^^^^

Sorry you didn't get into the frat, hope you're coping with that complex now further into adulthood. lol.

I didn't screw a goat to try to get into a frat... I did it for scientific research.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What about chicks with silicone breasts?

I'm in favor of them.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

There are all kinds of medical conditions that would prohibit you from serving. Diabetes (Type 1 or 2) would get you a medical discharge and make you ineligible for enlistment.

It doesn't mean they are putting you down, think of the logistics. If you deploy they would have to make sure you were supplied with adequate medications to moderate your condition. What if the supply convoy got hit and your meds were destroyed? Now they are scrambling to get you your medication or else you become unfit for duty due to your medical condition. Same is true for a number of chronic conditions. I'm no expert, but I would imagine someone who has transitioned could also be in a similar situation.

I knew a guy who was released from service for Raynaud's disease. I was let go after gaining weight. Of course I gained weight due to an injury to both my legs leading to 6 months of bed rest. I could still pass the PT test, but my waist was too large compared to my neck (how they measured BMI at the time) so I was out. They made me pay back my re-enlistment bonus too so instead of a final paycheck, I got a bill.

Oh well, that was many years ago and I've done well for myself since, so time to let it go.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join