It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antony and Cleopatra's long lost tomb 'FOUND and is set to be uncovered'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: 3n19m470

I was making a half joking comment, you on the other side showed you're full of bitterness and hate.

A half joke is still half serious... And besides...

You had every chance in the world to explain it as a joke the 1st time you were confronted about it by Ziplock9000, but instead, doubled down on your "sexism" narrative...

I actually saw your post as a joke, until I saw how you reacted to someone Else challenging it. Did you notice how I replied first to that 2nd post of yours which seems to confirm it was Not a joke and THEN I went back and replied to the post I had already passed over the first time around, because then I realized you were being at least partly serious?

Rather than lower tensions when you were first confronted, you chose to ratchet them up. You brought this on yourself and there is not one bit of hate in my posts. Just a question in my first post (that went unanswered) and then a logical deduction in my 2nd post.

You regularly take delight in pointing out isms, is this not true?

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ah, Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra. Did it for English Literature many years ago. Here's an apt quote...

Act 5 Scene 2 - Caesar
"She shall be buried by her Antony,
No grave upon the earth shall clip in it
A pair so famous."
edit on 22/1/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I still think it's sexist to be interested in her looks. And it was at the same time not such a big deal to me that I feel the need to justify myself to a hateful "oh you're liberal" douchebag like you.
I'll just quit talking to you, because you're unpleasant.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
My understanding is she had major oral fixations for men and it made her rather popular in the neighborhood. I read that many years ago and thats how red lipstick became popular for marketing her skills.

Time will tell.

You must have read her part in the book of list where she supposedly (has to this very day) a certain world record thanks to the Praetorian (-1sp ?) Guard... That's one way to win friends and acquire admirers I suppose. Certainly a different time with different morals.

a little history about her 4 siblings and a terrible father youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
She did suffer from Ancient Greek/white privilege tho.. You know, presiding over Egypt, Alexandria, and northern Africa, as a white person?
a reply to: Peeple

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well, the Democrats have told me that strong women have to play the bad guy game to get ahead in this harsh patriarchal man's world, and so I am redacting your comments (at least out of my echo chamber). Didn't you get the country-wide memo?
a reply to: Flavian

edit on 22-1-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

My understanding is she had major oral fixations for men and it made her rather popular in the neighborhood. I read that many years ago and thats how red lipstick became popular for marketing her skills.

Time will tell.

They did a good chuckle series called Rome years ago en.wikipedia.org...(Rome_character)

Very tongue in cheek , with Cleo going mad with it one night and lots of winks and nudges about who the baby looks like

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Part of politics, or successful politics, is attractiveness. Deny it as you will.

Cleopatra is never described, even by ancient historians who disliked her, as anything less than very attractive.

Modern sensibilities are utterly meaningless.

Cleo used her political acumen to play off Antony and Ceasar against each other, and almost got away with it...and part of that were her looks, and **ahem** other skills, I'm sure.

You fight your battles with the weapons you have. Soldiers. Or...looks. Both if you got 'em.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Women have been doing that since Eve went leafless on Tuesdays and why not if you got it flaunt it, omg I just got an image of Merkel n May frolicking in the the garden of Eden

A feel sick

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

You mean she was Mother Teressa. Evil, manipulative, vindictive played her way to the top of a ruthless organisation and enjoyed seeing people in torment and pain. AIDS patients shall have no pain relief during death they should feel the suffering of christ. Cleopatra was probably more saintly.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:15 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Time will tell.

You must have read her part in the book of list where she supposedly (has to this very day) a certain world record thanks to the Praetorian (-1sp ?) Guard... That's one way to win friends and acquire admirers I suppose. Certainly a different time with different morals.

All this is, of course, absolute nonsense. Nearly all of these stories were invented relatively recently (starting in the early modern period) - the orgy stuff largely comes from the late 19th century. The authors of these stories were often trying to tell a tale of moral decay whilst simultaneously titillating their readers. Upstanding men could read these tales and tut-tut at the disgraceful behaviour, then have to wait a few minutes before they stand up, adjusting their trousers as they did so. Sex sells and always has.

One bit of "common knowledge" about her inventing the vibrator (using bees in a gourd) only dates back to 1992!

All we really have for Cleopatra is a handful of Roman sources, some of which would have been basically political propaganda and often tried to contrast the fine, upstanding, martial Roman with the decadent, make-up wearing, perfumed "Easterner". However none of them talk of oral sex, or orgies or lip stick. They more often portrayed her as what we called a "ladette" in the 90s. A young woman who can drink a man under the table, plays dice and isn't afraid to speak her mind. Or as a ambitious woman who seduced powerful men for her own aims. None of these were considered good qualities for a woman in Rome, but they are a long way from the sex-mad monster she has sometimes more recently made out to be (HBO's Rome gave her a drug addiction as well).

Nearly every famous historical woman ends up with these kind stories attached to them (again, often by dodgy Victorian historians). From Catherine the Great dying while having sex with a horse to Eleanor of Aquitaine riding round England with her breasts hanging out. As with any historical claim, always check your sources - you'll be surprised how many well told stories of historical characters is a recent invention, or were invented as propaganda.
edit on 1/2/19 by FatherLukeDuke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join