It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blizzard is going to bring back Classic WoW.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Started in vanilla, played for 10 years. Main tanked, healed, dps'd. Tried this last expansion for 2 months and it's more of the same. I'm done permanently. Thanks for the good times back in the day with 40 man raids and team hard work for accomplishments.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The older wow strategy game was awesome. When it comes to the wow as of today, I much rather elder scrolls online

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: vlawde
I played and loved EQ for years. I've started/stopped playing WoW multiple times, it just never drew me in, and the graphics were like I was playing a cartoon. It also seemed the overall player mentality was a lot less mature than EQ, and the game just seemed not as interesting or deep as EQ. Playing to a different mindset/base.

It's too bad EQ Next was cancelled. EQ is/was a great game but horribly outdated. But tons of fun, very little in the amount of hand holding, etc

Brad Mcquaid is doing another one.

www.pantheonmmo.com...

Thanks! It's been years since I heard anything about this. I see they'll have pulling and crowd control, which is really fun. From what I can gather, it may be another year + away from public release.

I was in the Vanguard beta and played it for a bit. Rough and unfinished, and more importantly just wasn't fun

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
So Blizzard Activision is bringing Classic WoW back.

I suppose 2018 was mostly a # show for most triple A developers, and Blizzard/Activision was no stranger to that.

No announcement of Diablo 4 at blizzcon instead Diablo Immortal a #ty mobile game was announced.

So I ask this, is this Blizzard/Activision trying to save grace now, maybe give fans what they want?

Or is it because so many people play classic WoW on private servers that they've decided they need to get in on the action.

Also do you think Blizzard will keep it actually vanilla, or will there be some tweaks? WoW Tokens?

I'll probably give it a try on live, but I'm okay with being disappointed, theres always private server to get the fix.

Blizzard announced a release date for “World of Warcraft: Classic” today, confirming that it will debut in summer 2019.

The upcoming “classic” take on the popular MMORPG is playable at BlizzCon 2018. However, there will also be a special “World of Warcraft: Classic” demo available for attendees who didn’t get a chance to make it out to the event.

Anyone with a Virtual Ticket or regular BlizzCon 2018 attendee ticket will be able to download the demo at home. The demo comes with a 60 minute playtime limit as well as a 90 minute cooldown period, where you’ll need to wait a bit of time before logging in to play again. Players will begin at level 15 to get a good feel for what the game will over and will be capped at level 19.

Upon the game’s full release, it will be included free to anyone with a “World of Warcraft” subscription, which means new players who join the game will have access to the entirety of the “Warcraft” catalogue when opening a new account for “World of Warcraft: Classic” without paying an additional fee.

lulz, Variety had an article on it haha

variety.com...

Not to mention Cyberpunk 2077 comes out around the same time.

edit: looks like this been in the works since last June.

This was announced 2 years ago...

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DoubleDNH

Yeah you'll have to forgive me, I kinda haven't thought about WoW since 2006.

I didn't dedicate a decade of my life to it.

posted on Jan, 23 2019 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hell this is better than Blizzs idea

PROGRESS THROUGH EXPANSIONS
PTE ("Progress Through Expansions") is something new for us and for you as well. Thus far no private server managed to achieve what we plan to do. What is PTE about?

PTE will allow you a progressive advancement which will begin with The Burning Crusade, through Wrath of the Lich King and finish with Cataclysm, allowing players to experience something what, hitherto only retail players could experience, full of passion, rivalry.

PTE project establishes an idea of creating 3 separate realms:

The Burning Crusade
Wrath of the Lich King
Cataclysm
Every realm will be progressive and blizzlike. After the end of progression of an expansion, a new realm will be opened, players will have an opportunity to transfer their characters from one expansion onto another, thus, after achieving everything on TBC you'll be able to transfer your character onto WotLK without losing anything on the TBC realm.

The first realm from PTE project will be none other than 2.4.3 Netherwing!

PTE is a challenge for us, it's an excercise and it gives us satisfaction. As a team we want to fulfil this undertaking even for ourselves. We think that this is something fresh, interesting and it's very promising, and we'll do our best for PTE to completely change the private servers scene.
More details:

PTE project realms will be opened at the starting progression cap, e.g. Cataclysm realm upon start will offer a posibillity to complete only dungeons, and after this stage we'll open T11 raids.
Realms after the end of progression will remain available for players.
Players will be able to begin their journey at any time on any realm, e.g. if the progress is currently on T12, the player can start on TBC or WotLK realm and later, simply transfer his character onto Cataclysm or he can begin on Cataclysm straight away.
PTE project is a separate project, Dragonwrath realm will still be available for everyone.
Each expansion will require appropriate game client.

beta.atlantiss.eu...

server opened jan 8th i think
edit on 23-1-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Wanted to come back here and tell you thank you for telling me about Pantheon. I am intrigued. I've watched several gameplay vids and have been checking out the website, and this is something that has piqued my interest in a way that hasn't been done in a long time.
Kudos!

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Slinki

It has many of us older MMO gamers frothing at the mouth.

Really hoping it lives up to at least half the hype.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I like a progression server like EverQuest does, or maybe different servers for expansion and you can transfer between them only forward in the expansions I'm sure.

Seen this on some some private servers.

and thanks for the video I'll give it a watch I only played some of the first expansion TBC.

Well, vanilla and tbc.
edit on 23-2-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slinki
a reply to: JinMI

Wanted to come back here and tell you thank you for telling me about Pantheon. I am intrigued. I've watched several gameplay vids and have been checking out the website, and this is something that has piqued my interest in a way that hasn't been done in a long time.
Kudos!

Pantheon (to me) looks like it is going full Everquest. It takes a whole group to fight single trash mobs as though they were raid level. I quit EQ at level 55 when my wife and I would spend 20 minutes watching tv waiting for mana to come back, kill a single trash of equal level which took minutes, then sit again for 20 minutes and watch tv.

It got real boring. I like hard but not more down-time than playing.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

That would be cool. I actually liked Burning Crusade so it would be fun to do that again.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You think the down time will be that brutal?

Man was brutal back in old school EQ, I was a wizard.

So then I rolled a necro hahaha

I don't like current retail wow where I can solo 20 mobs at once, was playing on a vanilla and a tbc server, it felt a lil better.

I think vanilla WoW had the most decent down time, not too long.

I think thats one thing vanilla got right was making the mmorpg more fun, granted I've always considered xp penalty ok in mmorpgs for death.

I don't miss having to doing corpse runs in EQ

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

" don't like current retail wow where I can solo 20 mobs at once"

My rogue can take on as many enemies as my protection warrior, it's lame. Really looking forward to vanilla again.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

There is a healthy balance between action and downtime. I really thought the food/water regen from vanilla wow was spot on for this.

IIRC Pantheon is doing it this way, we'll see. IMO there should be a do-able solo path and an expedient group path for players. One issue is having 'levels.' Kind of boxes players in and kills the community aspect but since in games like vanilla or say EQ, leveling was so slow that it compressed the player base.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I don't like current retail wow where I can solo 20 mobs at once, was playing on a vanilla and a tbc server, it felt a lil better.

I think thats one thing vanilla got right was making the mmorpg more fun, granted I've always considered xp penalty ok in mmorpgs for death.

Same... they turned WoW into Diablo with later expansions.

The most frustrating thing about today's WoW is that there is no use in doing anything. In Classic, tradeskills were viable and had a purpose, raiding actually meant something because items were progressively better and they were hard to get.

Today, why play? You can do the hardest content, get BIS and it is all invalidated in a few weeks with new drops that invalidate all the crap you already did.

Never ending mouse wheel. they almost invalidate all their content they spent all that time on in mere weeks / months and you can never stay ahead of the pack or really care about any of your gear since it will be outdated next patch.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

From the Panteon videos I have seen, I always see a gull group of 5 spending minutes beating down a single trash mob so that is my assumption until I see different. Like EQ, it didn't get super bad until higher level so we will have to see how it looks with higher level content in order to judge but if it turns out to be EQ ruleset and not have "out of combat" quick health and mana regen then it is not the game for me.

I like to group up for non-standard content but having to have more than 2 of us to simply kill any world trash mobs for farming or leveling would be boring and tedious.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Led a casual raid guild in EQ 1 and EQ 2 and ended my EQ2 raid time in a World Wide Progression guild.

Corpse runs and farming shineys took up too much of free time when I was younger. Lol.

Was funny going on my Blizzard interview when I was asked about my video game history since I had MMORPG on my resume. Having to talk about never having played WoW but years in EQ2.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Blizz announced the release date for classic, Aug. 27! Can't wait
Beta starts tomorrow so make sure you have WoW Classic checked in your beta settings.
Article: ca.ign.com...
edit on 14-5-2019 by Autorico because: added article

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Not much of Summer release.

So much for No Lifing.

Signed up for beta.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join