It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phobos II

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
First an introduction into the moon Phobos orbiting Mars.

Formation & composition
The examination of Phobos and its companion revealed more than their odd, non-spherical shapes. The two moons are dark gray in color, and heavily cratered. The moons are some of the darkest, least reflective objects in the solar system.
After observing the pair, scientists concluded that they were made of material similar to Type I or II carbonaceous chondrites, the material that makes up asteroids and dwarf planets.
The composition and odd shape led some scientists to conclude that Phobos and Deimos came from the asteroid belt, with Jupiter's gravity long ago nudging them into orbit around Mars.
However, scientists aren't certain that the asteroid belt is the source of the moons' birth. Both have a nearly circular orbit unusual for captured objects. The thin atmosphere of Mars would have a hard time providing the necessary braking to settle the pair into their present-day orbits. Similarly, the moons are not as dense as objects in the asteroid belt.

Phobos facts

So why is this in aliens you wonder?

On July 1988, the Russians launched two unmanned satellite probes - Phobos 1 and phobos 2 - in the direction of Mars, and with the primary intention of investigating the planet's mysterious moon, Phobos. Phobos 1 was unfortunately lost en route two months later, reportedly because of a radio command error. Phobos 2 was also ultimately lost in the most intriguing circumstances, but not before it had beamed back certain images and information from the planet Mars itself.

Phobos 2 arrived safely at Mars in January 1989 and entered into and orbit around Mars as the first step at its destination towards its ultimate goal: to transfer to an orbit that the would make it fly almost in tandem with the Martian moonlet called Phobos (hence the spacecrafts name) and explore the moonlet with highly sophisticated equipment that included two packages of instruments to be placed on the moonlet's surface. All went well until Phobos aligned itself with Phobos, the Martian moonlet. Then, on 28th March, the Soviet mission control centre acknowledged sudden communication "problems" with the spacecraft; and Tass the, the official Soviet news agency, reported that "Phobos 2 had failed to communicate with Earth as scheduled after completing an operation yesterday around the Martian moon Phobos. Scientists at mission control have been unable to establish stable radio contact."

artalien.space

The last picture of PhobosII

I like this story for many different reasons.

1. an artifact of ancient aliens within our reach, Phobos is said to be hollow and just looking all dusty and rusty because it's old by now

2. there are and have been quite a few probe getting close to this Mars moon, but they seem to have all kinds of weird malfunctions. Was the computer hacked? Phobos I got shot down from ground control. Fobos-Grunt fell back to Earth without getting near it.
wiki

3. it holds a true mystery no matter if you're sceptic or not. "The shadow appeared moving"...

That's why I love ufology every now and then I find a story I haven't seen or heard or read before and it makes me go "what if...", and isn't that the most wonderful thing any kind of interest can bring to you? A sense of wonder.
I hope you enjoy this one too.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Dude.....it's actually the. Crux of the ....biscuit......

Russia and the US couldn't get a ship there those days

Was it Mariner 2...... sent pics as it approached Marsl then the pics,had a shadow showing, next pic the shodow engulfed....as if coming from an object behind......

Then, on national tv............zip........never heard from again.......same on Mariner 3, I think 3.....had a loss at landing.
edit on 19-1-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Mariner 2 went to Venus. But I loved the enthusiasm

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Reminds me of the lead up to the story line of Doom.

Pretty cool though, I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Reminds me of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey
But whatever, it's cool

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

It is interesting that Jonathan Swift predicted the moons of Mars in Gulliver’s Travels which was published in 1726. He even predicted their size and orbit to a pretty close degree.

If Phobos is hollow it should have a hole in it from this huge impact.

I guess it could have a hollow core the impact didn't reach.

Deimos is smaller.

Named after the Greek mythological twin characters Phobos (panic/fear) and Deimos (terror/dread) who accompanied their father Ares, god of war, into battle. Ares was known as Mars to the Romans.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
Dude.....it's actually the. Crux of the ....biscuit......

Zappa was very specific about the importance of correct punctuation.

Russia and the US couldn't get a ship there those days

Was it Mariner 2...... sent pics as it approached Marsl then the pics,had a shadow showing, next pic the shodow engulfed....as if coming from an object behind......

Then, on national tv............zip........never heard from again.......same on Mariner 3, I think 3.....had a loss at landing.

Mariner 4 was the first probe to fly by Mars in 1965, with the Russians close behind in Viking 1 and 2 the first to land successfully in 1975. The Soviets reached Mars in 1971 and 1972, but while they successfully reached orbit the landings were not so good: Mars 2 crash landed, while Mars 3's transmission stopped after a few seconds once on the surface.

So they did have the technology to get there. Equipment failure, however, is not unusual - nearly as many missions fail as succeed. The fact that there are so many successes kind of gives the lie to the idea that there are things up there preventing us seeing stuff, because we've seen a lot.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

What you're seeing there is the hangar bay entrance, obviously.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

OK, that must be where they launch the star fighters Fear and Panic

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

That was a good one, took me a second to get that it was a play on the moons names, but I'm proud to announce:
I got it

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Reminds me of the lead up to the story line of Doom.

Pretty cool though, I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks for sharing it.

That was the first thing I thought of too. Stop the demons!

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

There are quite a few threads on phobos over the years on ATS, most are very dormant but it is a fantastic and fascinating object which is most probably hollow due to it's orbital velocity which would not make sense if it was a sold object so it's overall density is fairly low.

Now look at those lines on it's surface, there are also shot's of craters of even size in row's if you look for more images.

Now imagine someone wanting to move a large asteroid or comet into martian orbit either in an ancient attempt to save the planet perhaps to mine the asteroid or comet for it's resources perhaps even water, now how would they do this since carting fuel all the way there would be difficult, well think of mobile nuclear furnaces that would move around the asteroid leaving lines as they used the surface material to feed into the nuclear furnace were that material would then be vaporized and turned into a high pressure plasma which would then be released to create thrust via a the top of this furnace through some form of nozzle structure.
The furnace long gone but the asteroid once in orbit may have prolonged the life of a dying planet by hundreds or thousands of years?.
Long, Long ago?.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So no one's mentioned the Phobos monolith? I can't post links or photos from my phone but maybe someone else will. Just Google phobos monolith. Buzz Aldrin alluded to it as being something that should be investigated.
edit on 1/19/2019 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

It looks like the Phobos monolith is just a bolder. The best monolith is on Mars. The Mars monolith is probable just a rock too, but it looks much more like an artificial monolith.

The Phobos monolith is a large rock on the surface of Mars's moon Phobos. It is a boulder about 85 m (279 ft) across and 90 m (300 ft) tall. A monolith is a geological feature consisting of a single massive piece of rock. Monoliths also occur naturally on Earth, but it has been suggested that the Phobos monolith may be a piece of impact ejecta. The monolith is a bright object near Stickney crater, described as a "building sized" boulder, which casts a prominent shadow.

Phobos monolith

The Mars monolith is a rectangular object (possibly a boulder) discovered on the surface of Mars. It is located near the bottom of a cliff, from which it likely fell. The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter took pictures of it from orbit, roughly 180 miles (300 km) away. It is estimated to measure about 5 meters wide.

Mars monolith

edit on 19-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

LOL, the grooves on Phobos have a much more simple natural explanation:

news.brown.edu...

Future missions will hopefully answer the question of low density. Martian Moons Exploration is scheduled to be launched in 2024, land on Phobos and collect samples.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Aside from quoting a few UFO websites, how much real research did you do on this old story?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I remember reading about this on dick Hoagland's site. He was saying the cross hatching visible in the newer imagery denotes an "underlying structure" eroded away by eons. Im sure there's a lame stream explanation for these but looking at them closely got my imagination going. If I recall Phobos is another tidally locked moon like our own. Great thread. a reply to: Peeple

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Although if Hoagland had his way there'd be no rock in the solar system... only ships hulls, and space glass! a reply to: Swollenamygdala

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It's obviously the sharp edges of poorly piloted ufos slicing across its surface. a reply to: moebius

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Come on - this isn't an academic website. What kind of 'research' are you expecting? Lighten up a bit. If its research you want, maybe you should try some astronomy journals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join