It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR will be the New Social Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   
There was a time... recently if you have a few years under your belt...

When you had to dial a number...Literally!!

In an age where we now talk to each other instantly... and lets keep in mind, a few years back we had flip phones...

ye know, the kind where you had to press the 1 button three times to get C...lol

Long ago in the age of the dinosaurs...er, the 80's..ish.. we saw movies where we could talk to each other face to face from anywhere on the planet...

And we thought, Damn... can you imagine that??

Well... I still don't have my bloody hoverboard... Perhaps im just getting old... but time tends to fly by...

Now we live in an age where we can literally stand face to face with your friend on the other side of the planet...

We can explore places together... play games while sitting beside each other, even though we're half a world away!!

We can play games that we used to play as a child.... chatting away like we're right beside each other

and soon... There will even be touch capabilities!!

Oh it exists right now!!!

Yes we have touch gloves... touch suits... Right Now!

I will let you search "Haptic VR" without spoiling it for you...

Oh yes my friends... VR is Coming... it is reality, and it may be the new reality...

But there is one thing that is completely clear...

Soon, VR will be the New Social Media...

I Give it 5 years from the release of the "Oculus Quest"... this April

Everyone will have VR as their new Facebook

considering FB Bought Oculus for a few billion of course

Place your bets?

edit on 19-1-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I think AR will be the new next big thing.

Its application and integration with every day life is almost inevitable.

In maybe 20 years, AR will be all over
From doctors in the operating room, cars infotainment and heads up display, to soldiers on the battlefield, and even the local bakery will all utilize AR as a new norm.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   

What will people have to talk about when they're all wearing haptic gimp outfits and never going outside?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

I think AR will be the new next big thing.

Its application and integration with every day life is almost inevitable.

In maybe 20 years, AR will be all over
From doctors in the operating room, cars infotainment and heads up display, to soldiers on the battlefield, and even the local bakery will all utilize AR as a new norm.

noo.. AR is Bunk as it stands...

Its nifty on your phone but... unrefined now

plus theres the "eye scaning" thing i can't really get with

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

What will people have to talk about when they're all wearing haptic gimp outfits and never going outside?

who said you can't take it outside?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Yeah (mutter mutter) I suppose it'll come to pass. Some aspects of the future disturb me lol.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Yeah (mutter mutter) I suppose it'll come to pass. Some aspects of the future disturb me lol.

Yeah but this is right now...

You can sit with a friend that is across the country...

I've been pushing my gaming buddy in BC to grab a GO... $200 and we can play chess together right now!!

Stuborn son of a ........ LOL

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   
S and F cause me and and couple buddies were talking about this today.

Technology trends are moving a lot faster now than they did when the millennium first showed up.
I give it 10 more years before we start seeing VR being applied to everyday life and it opens a whole new world.

I cant wait to see whats coming next, but at the same time it scares me.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Yeah I get that it's 'now.' I was picturing a future of people wearing suits to simulate reality whilst they escape actual reality.

Sure, it'll be fun for gamers. It's the other side to it like kids being addicted to phones and checking their social media every five minutes. It's those guys whose future I'm shaking my head over. Technology nearly always has compelling upsides and despairing down sides.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz
Do you mean this as an example?

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ItsEvolutionBaby

That's just Terrifying...

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
In an age where we now talk to each other instantly... and lets keep in mind, a few years back we had flip phones...

You mean like:

12:45pm
Me: Hey,
Me: *insert laboriously long heartfelt and meaningful post about a serious thing, really saying everything*
Me: What do you think?

*send*

Message Read at 12:54pm

... 3 days later

Them: That sounds good...

This is what social media has brought us to, we ignore the faces of those we are with, to see the words of those we are not with, only to overthink everything and ultimately be more isolated than we have ever been.

Having said that though, VR is definitely going to be the new social media. Absolutely. Once we get away from wearing suitcases on our heads to do it, it will be .. second nature.

I'm saving up for an occulus rift, I tried the google cardboard (not using the cardboard rubbish, but a proper head strapped device) and my samsung has too much drift and the experience is best a novelty. I can imagine there will be something like in caprica, where there is an entire world, or set of worlds, that people can enter into, with places, areas, etc, that a 2D representation only hints at.. And as things progress, and technology exponentially improves, only grandpa and his xbox at the nursing home will lament "Lol noobs, they don't even have controllers."

edit on 19-1-2019 by gallop because: damn, system hates angle brackets huh..

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I'm surprised we aren't at that point already.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

IF you can afford a rift, Get a GO first... IF you've never been in VR that is...

phone VR isn't the same thing...

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vigilantastrum

I'm surprised we aren't at that point already.

Lol no.. VR is a social media playground...

theres no ads...

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItsEvolutionBaby
a reply to: odzeandennz
Do you mean this as an example?

Haha that was a good clip.

Just need to ensure you have a good firewall and use adblock++++

And gloves.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

IF you can afford a rift, Get a GO first... IF you've never been in VR that is...

phone VR isn't the same thing...

The GO is that one with the device already inside, isn't it? Pretty much phone spec, but dedicated to the purpose? I've looked into those too, but I am intending to use the PC more, even if it's SBS gaming/videos etc. I know I probably still will try one first, I seem to be on a tech spree these past few months. Slowly built a new PC to handle VR, and that was a costly achievement in itself. The GO is within a doable in the near future, budget! The Rift is longer term.

Problem for me is, from an early age, 3D illusion has fascinated me. I used to go cross eyed on geometric patterns and notice how I could get them to 'set' in a new uniform position, but everything else was blurry. First time I saw a stereogram, I thought "I wonder" and it actually worked. I spent ages going to the state reference library and looking at all the old stereographs of my city back in the 1800's, and other places. I couldn't explain it to anyone else, they'd give it a go and tell me I'm weird.. which is true, but still, this worked.

Then those magic eye things came out, and I've NEVER been able to see one, as they are reversed. instead of going cross eyed, you look 'through' it, and I just can't ever do that...

3D anaglyph glasses never worked properly for me as I'm slightly blue/green colour blind, meaning I see the outline of the blue still.

But true VR, no need to try and focus, no distorted colours, just a shoebox strapped to your head.

I wish I was that woman here who just won 107 million dollars on the lottery.. dang it. Lol

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

no seriously...

the Rift as it stands doesn't have the resolution that the GO does...graphix wise its far superior...but more then double the price...plus you need a crusher cpu to drive a decent VR experience.... IF you're graphix card isn't top notch don't bother...

For $200 you can get a ful VR experience... crisp and clean graphix…

OR wait for the Quest which is a mini Rift... Sans wires, cpu

Or just wait til the Next Gen of VR comes out... which is the best idea IF you plan to invest

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Yea VR for me is gonna have to wait till it drops a wee bit more in the price.
Just built a PC that can sure handle it but it also handled all the extra cash

top topics

<<   2 >>

join