It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is dying; does it need replacing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: kennyb72

Well... They can make a church out of anything these days..

Though, its more the religious type that "Group" together actually... Atheists don't have meetings on Atheism and how they can be better Atheists or the merits of...

Most just find religious people silly, or insulting in some cases... but cult?

Nuuu… unless said people are a bit nuts anyways...

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Though, its more the religious type that "Group" together actually... Atheists don't have meetings on Atheism and how they can be better Atheists or the merits of...

Well that speaks an awful lot doesn't it, religious people group together as in community and atheists have that one less bond between them. Using that analogy religion is the glue that holds societies together.

edit on 19-1-2019 by kennyb72 because: caps

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kennyb72

Sure... but we've went from Grouping together as being cult like, to groups hold the world together... lol

meh thinks you're bias is showing

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

meh thinks you're bias is showing

Maybe a little

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The title of this thread ("Religion is dying...") is unintentionally amusing, in that most religions deal with humans' fear of death by teaching of receiving your Great Reward after you kick the bucket.

"Sorry to jump in again but, yes you could legitimately call atheism a cult. Atheists are missing something, and so they club together, very cult like and attempt to discredit those who have a broader vision."

That's a presumptuous and incorrect observation.

I have no belief in a god or gods, and I also don't hang out with like-minded people in The Clubhouse. If it exists, I've never heard of it.

If they're serving cookies and tea, perhaps you're correct: I'm missing something there.

I don't discredit anyone that has a belief system different from my own. Many of my family and friends have some religious leanings, and we all get along just fine.

I also have no desire to convince anyone their philosophy is faulty and mine is spiritually or morally superior. I don't think in terms of others having broader or narrower vision; I appreciate people for who they are. Everyone does what they need to do to face life every day, and if it includes--or doesn't include--starting their day with a prayer to [god of choice], that's perfectly fine with me.

The only problem I have with religion is the arrogance that often accompanies it.

edit on 19-1-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: (no reasonable reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Our species seems to be intent on its search for and attribution of faith in something. I’m not necessarily talking about religious faith in this regard. It seems this drive in us is deep in our psyche, embedded in our definition of what it means to be us. For many - the majority, to have faith in something makes us whole.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

I also have no desire to convince anyone their philosophy is faulty and mine is spiritually or morally superior. I don't think in terms of others having broader or narrower vision; I appreciate people for who they are. Everyone does what they need to do to face life every day, and if it includes--or doesn't include--starting their day with a prayer to [god of choice], that's perfectly fine with me.

The only problem I have with religion is the arrogance that often accompanies it.

It is not you who is targeted when you feel heat from a discussion like this. Spirituality is under threat from ignorance and Atheistic elements like Richard Dawkins and other notables who go to great lengths to discredit ordinary people and their beliefs. It really isn't being arrogant when you state the truth.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TerraLiga
I believe Christianity doesn’t have teachers in said religion who can touch the truth of ones spirit simply because the understanding is taken off someone else’s word and or knowledge. Old Testament Vs New makes no sense to most. Why? They don’t read it (or other texts of human history) like a book and think of a higher dimension than what they experience. The Bible AND the like are esoteric and mystical for a reason.

Most people today are too busy bickering and de-evolving to experience the divinity with himself.

Piscean age has since moved to the Aquarian Age. This is our time as humans to make or break the chains of old and bring in a Diety that will unite the human race. Instead we are hoping a robot will do it lol

We are a race of humans when a tragedy strikes we do not care if there is a wall or not, what color, language, or religion. We care about the individual aside from race and or differences. We become naturally divine within our thinking and actions.

Problem with today is humans are not being motivated and inspired by nature anymore.

Whether you believe in God or not there is still a divine spirit within all of us. It’s our TRUTH which we allow to be compromised on the daily. This is the error within each of us. Until we come together with difference in opinion we will never know peace on Earth.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Its time to bring all religons together.

All religons are one.

Proof abounds found within all doctrinal writings.

Science and religion have always been partners....they have never been separate.....the diety and imaginary parts have been artificially inserted into ALL doctrines by the Knowledge and Secret keepers as a power move to support the long lived protection of the original storyline.

Truth will never destroy religion truth will build the single strongest most influential doctrinal following ever seen by Humanity.This doesnt have to take generations it can take only a few years.

Today young people all know ysterdays TOP SECRET HIDDEN DATA......understand Lobsangs.....everyone KNOWS that real hard science is included hidden within different doctrines and this hard data is CONNECTED from within these different doctrines like DNA.....you CANNOT SEPERATE THEM ALL....it was tried and we now see this attempt failed.

We know the original hands-on hard science and data inclusive Humanitarian History is the catalyst of ALL DOCTRINES....and this FACT has been clearly exposed by simply reverse extrapolating all major doctrines.

Sure its time for change but it takes a Special Person to catalyse this change.Good luck with finding that person.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TerraLiga

It has been.
With ideologies.
Which is very bad.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

You wrote
“Truth will never destroy religion truth will build the single strongest most influential doctrinal following ever seen by Humanity.This doesnt have to take generations it can take only a few years.”

I agree ☝️

Truth is in each creation including but not limited to our Earth. Our Planet is also an organism regulated by natural law. As above so below...

Naturally the Earth will stop the madness, maybe take some antibiotics lol or something will most definitely happen NATURALLY, Whereas humans( the cancer killing species) will be eradicated to only a certain amount of entities whom will begin living on a new earth. It’s the only way. Truth that is. We will never be able to escape natural laws. Just like we may compromise Truth for so long, when this happens we are at a breaking point and either leave the situation that’s compromising our TRUE self or be eat up with the dishonesty and naturally become ill or diseased.
This is same with any system. It cannot maintain itself with its lifeline and resources being used in such a selfish way to keep industries ($$) above nature. Our bodies cannot sustain this way and neither can the Earth. We cannot even imagine what “they” are doing to the space above and below Earth. From what I can see and what I read it’s only literally a “matter of time” before the world as we know it doesn’t exist.
Every natural system either evolves or decays.

We have to decide whether or not we are going to be a part of the problem or the solution.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Jesus is a false idol. There is only one true all-power God and that God is God. God is not only the God of slaves but the God of the masters as well. What determines how one benefits from God's favor is much different than 500 years ago. Today, God rewards the wolves as much as the sheep. The one true God is the God of everyone including the skull and bones members.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Thinking about it in terms of ultimate authority, the Atheists (I capitalize it purposely--you figure out why) have substituted the state for God. It's a form of statist cultism writhing in self-loathing of the individual as a concept, psychologically akin to whacked out Christians whipping themselves as penance for sins never committed.

I disagree with you about the Atheists. Most atheists are nihilists and do not really care one way or the other how everything turns out. So many Christians project their own values on other people they despise. Most Christians believe if only enough people would accept Christ then everything in the world would turn out alright. I do not think what people believe matters.

The problem with today is the people in power simple do not care about people who are not in power. But it's more than simply not caring. It's more like hatred and purposely causing them harm for their own benefit. The golden rule only applies to club members. Everyone else is an ant. And there are no moral consequences to stepping on an ant.

At some point, something really bad will happen like some world wide event where millions of people die as a result of institutionalized callousness. At that point, the powder keg will go off. A new religion and government will be born. Maybe it will be better this time. Maybe not.

Until then, all I know is peace sells and I talk to God everyday:

Peace sells but nobody is buying.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Truth will never destroy religion truth will build the single strongest most influential doctrinal following ever seen by Humanity.This doesnt have to take generations it can take only a few years.

Today young people all know ysterdays TOP SECRET HIDDEN DATA......understand Lobsangs.....everyone KNOWS that real hard science is included hidden within different doctrines and this hard data is CONNECTED from within these different doctrines like DNA.....you CANNOT SEPERATE THEM ALL....it was tried and we now see this attempt failed.

Sure its time for change but it takes a Special Person to catalyse this change.Good luck with finding that person.

So much optimism! People will never understand what is going on. Too many shiny objects to distract our attention.

The real owners of this country will simply not allow the people to have any real power:

"It's a big club and you and I are not in it. It's the same club they beat us over the head with all day." Religion has absolutely no purpose nowadays. This is why nobody cares about it. It's like "the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Religion has been dying since man became man..... study religion some, you’ll see that this is not a new trend.

And yes, there will always be a “replacement” of sorts. Always.

Personally, I see an evolution in religions happening. Without a fluidity it becomes stagnant and atrophy sets in, which leads to death. If a belief can’t grow and change, then it dies.

Also- I listened to an interesting podcast the other day (while searching for anything to listen to concerning ancient Sumeria) that ended up being mostly about the role of religion in politics. Very insightful and actually made me take a step back regarding some beliefs I held. I may make a thread about it once I get my computer up again.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Also- I listened to an interesting podcast the other day (while searching for anything to listen to concerning ancient Sumeria) that ended up being mostly about the role of religion in politics. Very insightful and actually made me take a step back regarding some beliefs I held. I may make a thread about it once I get my computer up again.

This is the best commentary I've ever seen on religion in politics:

Starting at the 4 minute mark, he really makes a great point about religion in politics.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

I believe Christianity doesn’t have teachers in said religion who can touch the truth of ones spirit simply because the understanding is taken off someone else’s word and or knowledge. Old Testament Vs New makes no sense to most. Why? They don’t read it (or other texts of human history) like a book and think of a higher dimension than what they experience.

Christianity in general (“Western” Christianity imho) usually doesn’t offer those teachings. However there are followers of Jesus who certainly do offer this kind of understanding. They are dismissed by their fellow believers and ignored by everyone else. But we do exist, and happen to gravitate to one another.

Sometimes, it takes dropping hints to identify (or in my case- ignite the spark) those that are on the same page.

The Bible is an interesting book that gives much insight to so many things—many hidden treasures that are passed over without a second thought. But we also have to be aware that most “Christians” are not in a place to accept those things: until they want to, they don’t have eyes to see or ears to hear.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
How can it be the divinely inspired word of God if it is so wrong about slavery:

No. 1:St Paul’s advice about whether women are allowed to teach men in church:

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

No. 2: In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

No. 3: A command of Moses:

“Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)

No. 4: The ending of Psalm 137, a psalm which was made into a disco calypso hit by Boney M, is often omitted from readings in church:

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

No. 5: Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

No. 6: St Paul condemns homosexuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

No. 7: In this story from the Book of Judges, an Israelite leader, Jephthah, makes a rash vow to God, which has to be carried out:

“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

No. 8: The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

No. 9: “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

No. 10: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Speaking of the binding of Isaac, "‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2) ",

The binding of Isaac is a really great card game:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?hvadid=323057509371&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004000&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvr and=7428823437366972780&hvtargid=kwd-608831964186&ie=UTF8&keywords=the+binding+of+isaac+card+game&qid=1547915329&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-20

The religious scripture quotes are really funny.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well, you see, I’m not sure that it IS the “word of God”. Actually, I’m pretty sure it isn’t.

I teach Sunday school to the adults in our congregation- last year we studied he OT, and it was very eye opening for me.I can’t conment on the NT, as I have barely started it for this year. However, my approach last year (and the 2 years prior) has evolved to say “let’s look at the text and historical/cultural context and extrapolate what lessons we can gain from this”.
I don’t gloss over the ugly stuff- because one should be educated in one’s beliefs. I also think that “scripture” can be found far and wide- outside of the Bible, canonization, or religious texts even. Harry Potter contains an awful lot of things I would consider “scripture”. I recently read Cry The Beloved Country by Alan Patton, and I finished it feeling very well “fed” by truths that changed me.

Also. I watched the video you shared and he made some great points. Who is he?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join