It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revisiting The Hessdalen, Norway Light Anomalies...Natural Phenomenon...Or UFOs?

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
In the remote mountainous valley of Hessdalen, Norway, people have been witnessing strange, unexplained light anomalies since the 1940’s. These sightings increased in the early 80’s, when the lights were observed two dozen times a week.

Locals observed these lights close above the tree tops and in some cases, they came close to their homes. There were even a few reports of local residents who actually witnessed UFOs in this area.

Scientists and students from Ostfold University College decided to investigate the phenomenon and soon built the Hessdalen Interactive Observatory. It has been in service since August 1998 and it's equipped with a magnetometer, cameras, a SBS-3 flight detector to detect air traffic and a radar.
Here are a few pictures of The Hessdalen Automatic Measurement Station (or Hessdalen AMS):

Some interesting pictures have been captured by this observatory:

The video clip shown below, discusses this interesting phenomenon, as well as the observatory. It also mentions about a "two ton piece of wet turf" that was cut out from the ground and placed several meters away, with no evidence of machinery being used.

YouTube clip about The Hessdalen phenomenon and the observatory:

Even though only 130 residents live in the village of Hessdalen, there is now a “UFO camp” set up for tourists, who can now experience the light phenomena for themselves. There’s even a local UFO pub, where visitors can enjoy a cold beer and a “UFO burger.”

Now, large information boards and “lavvos” (traditional Sami tents) with glass ceilings are to tempt travellers to leave their screens and head to a place where they can actually experience the inexplicable phenomena for themselves.

Recently, the Norwegian national broadcasting corporation, NRK, spent the night in the lavvo. Afterwards, they could tell of orange light balls moving, extinguishing, and then being lit again.

..the UFO camp also offers visits to the local UFO pub. “Here you can taste the UFO burger and drink UFO beer. The burger is made out of my cows, and the beer is brewed locally”

www.visitnorway.com...

Today, the observatory is still in operation and continues to capture light anomalies in the sky at Hessdalen, Norway. Some people believe these lights are of extraterrestrial origin, while others believe they are a natural plasma phenomenon, or a form of electricity generated by crystal rocks that are present in this area. The light phenomena produces considerable luminous energy, but scientists, to this day, can not explain exactly what these lights are.

For 10 years ago in 1994, the Hessdalen phenomenon was regarded as a pure hoax created by some disturbed minds dreaming about flying saucers. Hessdalen was an isolated small valley in Norway, unknown to the world. Hessdalen is now the most famous valley in Norway due to the unexplainable flying light phenomena which is the target for the scientific research campaign named project EMBLA. This project ended once and for all the speculative debate about if the phenomena existed or not. The phenomena has by the Embla crew been identified as a flying luminous object with certain characteristics that make it unique to science. These characteristics are so special that they can lead scientists to understand new concepts in science. The four year long EMBLA campaign has shown the researchers that the phenomena is more elusive than anticipated, and that it may be more than joust one phenomena. The phenomena may be made up of several smaller pieces which can break out from the main body and fly away. The body seems also able to collect fractal pieces of energy/plasma from the ground while flying by. The phenomena must radiate energy because it changes color, but no electromagnetic radiation can be 100% connected to it at this time. Many interesting spectra in optical and radio frequency have been obtained, but more data is needed to correlate the radiation to the phenomena.

www.itacomm.net...
Link to the Ostfold University Colleges' Project Hessdalen. Check out all the latest pictures at this site:
www.hessdalen.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
window area

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
One question

were infrared-ultraviolet films-cameras or other forms of film used to capture these?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

this is one of the most fascinating UFO threads I've read in a bit - thanks for putting all of this together. The area seems to be teeming with activity and weird incidents (like the grass chunk cut out)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Nice thread

Somehow the fact that science people have acknowledged its existence makes me think "natural phenomenon" which is entirely faulty logic on my end, I know. Maybe aliens really like the scenery?
But it's super cool either way.
I hope I see some working theories about it and not just one we're supposed to swallow.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
guess wat ….reflecting car lights in the atmosfere ! wat else ? hihi

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have read that the Hessdalen lights are caused by the unique geology in the area. The valley that the lights appear in are formed by two mountain ranges. One side is rich in copper and the other side is rich in iron and zinc. Scientist claim that these two mountain ranges form an anode and cathode, a huge battery configuration. A sulfur mine in the bottom of the valley leaching sulfuric acid into the river running through the valley creates a weak electrolyte solution. The actual cause of the lights is a charge produced by solar winds.

GIZMODO

NewScientist

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Cool thread, Shawn(etc).

Re: "Leaching sulfuric acid into the river..." gee, wonder why our ecosystems are in crisis?

Wonder if the possible inter-dimensional denizens "next door" , aka the usually invisible neighbors, are dependent upon our ecosystems? Wonder how far away they really are? They are almost always concerned with our killing mommy Earth, for some odd reason... according to some of the more legit seeming reports, anyway.

I doubt they'd be that broken up if we offed ourselves ... unless we're their herd animal OR they live here, too, that is.

Apparently, the "gods" are coming back... and they are upset. Better lawyer up, humanity!

*note that the above statements are speculative - except for humanity killing our ecosystem as that is, unfortunately, truth.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
[

There’s even a local UFO pub, where visitors can enjoy a cold beer and a “UFO burger.”

Sign me up - sounds great.

Dr Hynek also supported the work being conducted at Hessdalen and here he is discussing how the place is a 'UFO laboratory' and one of the best sites in the world for UFO research, he also explains that whatever the truth about UFO origin turns out to be, it's 'terribly important'.

Some of the witness testimony taken from Hessdalen residents about cigar, saucer and conical shaped flying objects are very interesting (especially when they are reported to have specific features like two vertical lights on them).

originally posted by: FamCore

The area seems to be teeming with activity and weird incidents (like the grass chunk cut out)

There are also a few other global cases of that being reported.

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Excellent thread, well presented with an equally excellent array of pics down the years.

A rare case of ongoing (albeit in spasms) anomalous activity that still leaves many scratching their heads.

I suspect it's a rare atmospheric phenomenon that feasibly could be applied to cases like Rendlesham Forest (1980) and other bizarre light spectacles. But how does that tally with those chunks of grass? Wooooooooo!

edit on 20-1-2019 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There is a theory (one of many) that some UFOs are a form of atmospheric plasma. Generated in certain spots around the Earth where the geology and presence of specific magnetic field conditions are particularly conducive to such a phenomenon.

That doesn't mean all UFOs are 'plasma' of course and illustrates why we should remain open minded to solving the mystery on a case per case basis.

I've posted this video a dozen times or more before here. But it sums up Hessdalen in a few minutes for those who have never come across it before.

edit on 20/1/2019 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A New book - the first one in English - about Hessdalen is available. It covers the history, the research that has been done - and IS being done, the authors personal experience after living in Hessdalen for one year, - in addition to interviews with hessdalen residents etc: Kindle: www.amazon.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
New interview with Ealing Strand discussing recent research and how sightings in the Hesdallen valley go back generations - he also describes how a disc shaped object flew over his head back in 1978.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I occasionally take a gander at the streaming video on the three valley cameras. It's not the greatest, and they tend to go offline sporadically. The problem with the casual observer, however, is that there doesn't seem to be a way to access the archives or record anything if you see it happening. I was watching once and saw something, and basically did a screen grab:

The little light blob continued to the right of the image and disappeared behind some trees. I saw one similar to it the other day, but didn't grab it before it flew out of sight. It could have just been regular airplane, but it didn't have blinking lights (or they didn't show up, anyway), so maybe it was something else. Like I said, there's no way I know of to go back and review the footage. So it is what it was.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I occasionally take a gander at the streaming video on the three valley cameras. …...

So with separated time-tagged cameras, they've now been able to triangulate and get accurate RANGE to the lights and thereby plot where they are on topographic maps? Where are those results reported?

PS: I've been to the "Marfa Lights" observation platform in Texas, set up by the local tourist bureau with vending machines and pay toilets. Last time a researcher showed [using his own separated cameras] that the lights were coming from along the distant highway past the hills in view, the Marfa 'Chamber of Commerce' supposedly told him never to be seen in that corner of Texas again.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Nice rant with some important questions

The close range sightings are also really interesting

m.youtube.com...

What do you make of this quote?

"The type of UFO reports that are most intriguing are close-range sightings of machine-like objects of unconventional nature and unconventional performance characteristics, seen at low altitudes, and sometimes even on the ground. The general public is entirely unaware of the large number of such reports that are coming from credible witnesses... When one starts searching for such cases, their number are quite astonishing. Also, such sightings appear to be occurring all over the globe." (Hearings before the Committee on Science and Astronautics, U.S. House of Representatives, July 29, 1968.) 
Dr. James E. McDonald, Senior Physicist at the Institute of Atmospheric Physics at the University of Arizona 

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Always a good Camfeed when bored.
Noticed loads of weird stuff on their cams. Don't know what they are but a good watch.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
The close range sightings are also really interesting

How do they measure range to an unknown-sized light at an unknown distance?

top topics

join