It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump May Want To Pull The U.S. Out Of NATO

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well it seems that Trump has voiced that he would like to take the USA out of NATO.
I think that he wants Europe to tow their own line or take care of themselves.
From what I know NATO has recently NATO hasnt been keeping thier commitments when it comes to defence spending and that most likely means buying US military equipment.

If something isnt working and seems unfair why do it?

I think there are more than enough problems to take care of in the USA and spending all our money to prop up a military alliance may be counter productive.

Anyways what do you think of this news ATS?
What happens if the USA pulls out?
What could be some positives?
What could be some negatives?

www.nytimes.com...
WASHINGTON — There are few things that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia desires more than the weakening of NATO, the military alliance among the United States, Europe and Canada that has deterred Soviet and Russian aggression for 70 years.

Last year, President Trump suggested a move tantamount to destroying NATO: the withdrawal of the United States.

Senior administration officials told The New York Times that several times over the course of 2018, Mr. Trump privately said he wanted to withdraw from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Current and former officials who support the alliance said they feared Mr. Trump could return to his threat as allied military spending continued to lag behind the goals the president had set.

In the days around a tumultuous NATO summit meeting last summer, they said, Mr. Trump told his top national security officials that he did not see the point of the military alliance, which he presented as a drain on the United States.

Schiff: We wanted to reassure NATO allies worried that Trump wants to withdraw
www.washingtonexaminer.com...

Trump privately said he wants to withdraw US from NATO: report
nypost.com...

President Trump Reportedly Threatened to Pull the U.S. Out of NATO
fortune.com...

Trump says US backs NATO ‘100%,’ after report he discussed withdrawal
www.defensenews.com...

edit on 18-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Maybey it's not what he wants. Maybey this is how he wants to get what he wants.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Well I have only one question.

What difference would it make?

Except for the thousands of dollars you guys would be saving.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Probably could use the cash to help out the USA instead of being the world police.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
What has been Putin's biggest goal for the past 5+ years? Weaken NATO.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Trump doesn't have enough time to pull the US out , it's unlikely that he would be able get any legislation passed to do it either.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
If trump pulled out of NATO he might as well just go all out confess that he is a Russian asset.

It would destroy his presidency over night so as much as he might bitch and moan about NATO he is not going to pull out

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
What has been Putin's biggest goal for the past 5+ years? Weaken NATO.

While your point isn't invalid, I think it is important to note that during both of the world wars, weapons buildup and alliances were to blame for being part of the catalyst for war.

We made several agreements with Russia after the fall of the USSR to deescalate the Cold War. Part of that was that NATO wouldn't grow towards Russia's borders.

Aside from their nuclear arsenal, they don't really present themselves as a threat that justifies a sizable alliance that is NATO. The official narrative was that we would keep NATO, but Russia wouldn't be the primary "enemy" for lack of better terms. I think NATO's actions have proved otherwise.

NATO encourages all those threatened, and those who perceive threat to align themselves in the event of conflict.

We haven't learned a damned thing if that isn't part of this discussion. WWIII in my opinion is more of a when than an if. We can decide how long we postpone what I believe is inevitable.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Please read my comment below yours.

Also, keep in mind that Russia has a GDP less than Texas.

They are the patsy that can enable the world to overlook the threat of China until it is too late.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Now that I think of it pulling out of NATO may put a monkey wrench in the WW3 clock works.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Now that I think of it pulling out of NATO may put a monkey wrench in the WW3 clock works.

If I were Russian, I would support Putin in his efforts against NATO seeing as NATO now had member countries that boarder Russia.

If I were Russian, I would look to China as a country that shares an enemy at the worst or adversary at best.

If I were Russian, I'd see a pullback in NATO as an extended olive branch from the west.

Sometimes I find it better to think of things in terms of if I was on the other side. It sheds a little bit more light and makes things at least more predictable.
edit on 18-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

If I were Russian, I would support Putin in his efforts against NATO seeing as NATO now had member countries that boarder Russia.

If I were Russian, I would look to China as a country that shares an enemy at the worst or adversary at best.

If I were Russian, I'd see a pullback in NATO as an extended olive branch in the west.

Sometimes I find it better to think of things in terms of if I was on the other side. It sheds a little bit more light and makes things at least more predictable.

Well we do have Russia surrounded with missle defence systems as well as nuclear missles.
Just imagine if Russia had nukes and missle defences in Canada and Mexico we would go nuts.
A stragic retreat from their border isnt stupid considering its mutually assured destruction in every single scenario.
There is actually no purpose to fight WW3 however I think its destined to happen and a new age of humans will rise from those ashes like roaches that never die.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

Well I have only one question.

What difference would it make?

Except for the thousands of dollars you guys would be saving.

Spoiler alert: it wouldn't make a difference. Nor would it be evidence of Russian collusion. Nor will any of this even happen.

This story ( that was obviously disseminated to the MSM as a 4AM talking point ) is nothing more than a distraction for people to focus on instead of the fact that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is retiring and will be replaced by a conservative leaning female justice. A scenario that the Dems still haven't figured out how they'll spin, obstruct, smear, and basically throw a tantrum over.

So once again, ahem, "Look at how crazy orange man is! He's so stupid! We're all in danger because of him!"

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
If trump pulled out of NATO he might as well just go all out confess that he is a Russian asset.

It would destroy his presidency over night so as much as he might bitch and moan about NATO he is not going to pull out

I thought the EU was going to build it's own military?! roflmao
I am 100% behind pulling out of NATO. The US has been footing the bill for that useless organization since the ending of WWII.
Let the EU and it's serfs fund their own military. Unless of course you agree with Nigel Farage?
]]
I feel bad for those of you who want to remain sovereign, and I would remain open to help protect and be an ally of those countries. However the EU is not a democracy. Perhaps Trump wants out because you have idiots like Verhofstadt who wants the US to get involved because Hungary is giving your darling EU the middle finger?
Perhaps the writing is on the wall that the EU is becoming a fascist state despite how much they say in the European parliament they are a Democracy. Next video shows it coming right from the Soro's owned puppets mouth. The EU wants your soveriegnty!

]]

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I think the main point is they dont want to pay for their protection and believe it sould be given freely.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Not true.

According to NATO's most recent estimate, released in June 2017, six EU countries hit the 2 percent target: the United States, Greece, the United Kingdom, Estonia, Romania and Poland. The latter two countries scraped across the line at 2.02 percent and 2.01 percent respectively.
www.politico.eu...

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
NATO served its purpose in protecting Europe from the USSR.
the USSR no longer exists.
does anyone really think Putin is going to invade Poland or Latvia at this point?
and is there any reason the rest of Europe can't fix this should it happen?

Trump is right. there is no need for the US to continue to subsidize NATO.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
We should just kick out countries like Germany that don't want to contribute their part. I mean it's not our safety on the line and definitely not our responsibility to protect them if they don't honor the agreement.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

lol
99% of the US would not notice or care if we left NATO.
and the dems don't need a reason to trash him. they'll do that regardless.

'Russian agent'? please turn off the MSNBC. Putin hates Trump.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
We should just kick out countries like Germany that don't want to contribute their part. I mean it's not our safety on the line and definitely not our responsibility to protect them if they don't honor the agreement.

Maybe you should. And quit blackmailing Germany for North Stream while you're at it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join