It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Comic Banned from Comedy Nights Due to ‘Cultural Appropriation’ Dreadlocks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So it seems that a white comedian had the nerve to try and do stand up in Montreal with dreadlocks.

White comedian Zach Poitras was banned from participating in comedy events in Montreal, Canada, after organisers claimed his dreadlock hairstyle was inappropriate.

Have we not come to the agreement that it's not just black people who have had dreadlocks over the history of mankind? Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, ect.

My favorite part of the article:

rejected by the organisers, who wrote on Facebook that his dreadlock hairstyle violated their discrimination rules

Violated their 'discrimination' rules.
YOU'RE THE ONES DISCRIMINATING!
The article goes on to show some more absurd quotes and opinions:

“We will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment within our spaces,”

the comedian may not be racist himself but that his hairstyle acts as a “vehicle” for racism.

History professor Greg Robinson, who teaches on the subject of black immigration into Canada, compared the situation to that of “blackface”, saying: “It is white people who disguise themselves as blacks to make fun of them”

That's right, a history professor said that.

How can we subdue REAL racism, when more people are worried about someones hair?

Montreal Source

Breitbart Article

In what has to be the most hilarious coincidence, he was also banned from the 'Snowflake Comedy Club'

Poitras, who was also denied a spot at the Snowflake Comedy Club and another evening of “engaged humour,” declined comment on the situation.

Global News Link
'Engaged Humor' Gimme a break.

Is there a single member on this site that agrees with this decision, or believes that white people having dreadlocks is somehow racist?

Within these links, there are links to other outrageous stories about culture appropriation. Have some fun and check them out if you want.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Can't read French. If true, it's yet another proof that liberals everywhere are losing their minds.

This society truly is going downhill.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think white people with dreadlocks look stupid.

But the whole world seems to have become stupid, so whatever.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Ok, I won't sport dreads.....
But I dont want to see any black people driving cars or using indoor toilets.
No bras for black women either...

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I grew up working on a farm wearing jeans, boots and flannel, this trendy look by guys who can't change a tire on their prius offends me.

But more seriously, this is nuts but... It's Montréal I would say they are pretty similar to Seattle in that if you are not, x, y, z then you are wrong and hateful and racist.

Pretty sure both places put something in the water.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Pc culture has killed comedy.
Going to put on some Rudy Ray Moore records and watch the triggering begin.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
I think white people with dreadlocks look stupid.

Arguable. I mostly agree with you, many white people I've known with dreads just look bad with them. In fact, their dreads look really filthy and disgusting. I've also known some white people who look really good with them, though. For example, there's a lady in the town I live in who's taller than me(I'm 6'1) with really long dreads that she takes very good care of. They look really good on her and she's a very nice lady. Sad to think that if she were in Canada then people would hate on her.

I'm also not sure how or why dreads have become a black only hairstyle. I'm pretty certain people from throughout the world have had dreads, especially before the days of combs and brushes. Hell, if I go one day without brushing my hair it starts to dread up on it's own. Would that make me racist if I don't brush for two days??

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
He can always say white privilege made him do it and see if the comedy club really has a sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I get the urge to have dreads and wear hoop earrings. Maybe put on a Sari. Often that's done in appreciation for the culture. Not appropriation.
But what do I know, my avatar is probably racist too?

edit on 17-1-2019 by Peeple because: Nothing

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Is that a Rick James Horse?
Final verdict....

RACIST (obviously)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
What's so wrong with being inappropriate?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Very true about Montreal v Seattle.
I don't get it... are these peoples lives so perfect, that this is what they worry about?
Or are their lives so terrible that they want to cause pain to others?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

don't know this guy but thats pretty stupid. bob marley would laugh at them.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Rogan should invite him to a podcast.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
If a white man in western culture created the t-shirt does that mean only white people can wear t-shirts?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I hate how people who claim to be about equality, don't see the hypocrisy in something like this.

The thing is, they don't want equality, they want to be special. They want to restrict the rights of others and claim that it's virtuous to do so.
I find it disgusting.
These are the same people who would try and tar and feather anyone who dares to question any life choice of someone they conceive to be a minority, but actively discriminate against people. In this case, a minority.
(White people with dreads, lol)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

edit on 17-1-2019 by o0oTOPCATo0o because: Double Post

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Haha in my defence I have an Irish one too.

That was a racist comment. Because I called the horse "Irish" because of the red hair. I don't know that could be Hanoverian too.

I can't help it. Privilege problems because I personally invented colonialism, owned slaves and wiped out all Indians worldwide. It was a busy childhood...

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I'm actually just sort of baffled by this (I know, I know, at this point I shouldn't be, but still...).

You know, I was just saying to someone the other day, and I'm certain that many have heard about this already, but many comics are flat-out boycotting colleges and universities (including the majors such as Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock). It's just not worth it, they say. You tell a joke on one day, the next day you're on 60 minutes apologizing to everyone you've offended.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

At least you didn't assume it's gender.
I'll give you a pass.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join