It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so this is what a music note looks like. not the notation. the sound

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well thats why I keep saying that harmonics and resonances are not mystical or magical. Even the bridge example, it is a consiquence of having an object bound and fixed at two (or more) boundary conditions. All objects have a resonant frequency that is entirely predictable based upon the shape and the materials used in construction. Most objects are complex and wont resonate strongly as vibrations are damped quite readily in compound objects made of different materials or in non-favourable configurations.

The bridge resonance example isn't true for all bridges and every bridge will have a difference resonance based on design.

If we want to be scientific, any resonance setup in the very fabric of spacetime... there are a number of problems.
1) For a resonance you need there to be a defined structure/cavity/boundary conditions that allow an incoming source of vibration to be matched and synced in order for a natural frequency of a system to exist. In the universe, this means it needs a well defined 'edge' The frequency would then be related to the springiness of spacetime, and the dimension of the 'cavity' inside the universe.

So how would we even start to think about testing it, or figuring out what that number could be?

Well gravitational waves is the answer

Gravitational waves, give a way of testing the stiffness of the universe... if you could call it that and the numbers are quite interesting. The universe, as you might expect, requires a great deal of effort to move, with an enormous youngs modulus. The real part for this discussion is found on page 2... the appendix that talks about universe sound waves.

physics.princeton.edu...

The number works out as f ≈ 0.5 × 10^-18 Hz, or a period of about 60 billion years.

So good luck with that 432 Hz business

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

You must not have been to many 90s raves
taking a variety of
....things

If I remember they used to match them to the BPM of the music or it could have just been the effect of....things ingested

Cool to see sound visually

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Great to see such a recent thread on cymatics! It's such an astonishingly beautiful and revealing aspect of life. Also really fun stuff to play around with!

It goes to show just how much vibration, frequency and energy has the ability to affect matter within existence.

Here's a fantastic video showing the utilisation of this science to create art that has previously been posted by Elementalist over here.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
What would a fart look like?

Probably depends on how good your pitch control is!

PS...bonus point for finding second level joke embed.

PPS...another bonus point if you are a catcher...

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
Wouldn't the medium that the "sound" goes through just change the amplitude that it is expressed? Then the shape of the vessel in which the sound is propagating has a larger effect on the "shape" of the sound due to reflections of the wave form, and in these 2 dimensional "shapes" of sound we are not really seeing the amplitude what so ever, just the frequency.

Basically "sound" is just vibrations of certain frequencies that propagates though a fluid, and if it is propagating through a solid that would just vibrate at the frequency present. But I could be wrong.

Both water and air seem to be the perfect fluids for this though, it seems to me. Perhaps fire, as well. Since the properties of those (and more) are essentially engineered/evolved for the particular physics we are embedded in. Resonance depends upon local conditions, I would intuit.

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433
Well thats why I keep saying that harmonics and resonances are not mystical or magical. Even the bridge example, it is a consiquence of having an object bound and fixed at two (or more) boundary conditions. All objects have a resonant frequency that is entirely predictable based upon the shape and the materials used in construction. Most objects are complex and wont resonate strongly as vibrations are damped quite readily in compound objects made of different materials or in non-favourable configurations.

The bridge resonance example isn't true for all bridges and every bridge will have a difference resonance based on design.

If we want to be scientific, any resonance setup in the very fabric of spacetime... there are a number of problems.
1) For a resonance you need there to be a defined structure/cavity/boundary conditions that allow an incoming source of vibration to be matched and synced in order for a natural frequency of a system to exist. In the universe, this means it needs a well defined 'edge' The frequency would then be related to the springiness of spacetime, and the dimension of the 'cavity' inside the universe.

So how would we even start to think about testing it, or figuring out what that number could be?

Well gravitational waves is the answer

Gravitational waves, give a way of testing the stiffness of the universe... if you could call it that and the numbers are quite interesting. The universe, as you might expect, requires a great deal of effort to move, with an enormous youngs modulus. The real part for this discussion is found on page 2... the appendix that talks about universe sound waves.

physics.princeton.edu...

The number works out as f ≈ 0.5 × 10^-18 Hz, or a period of about 60 billion years.

So good luck with that 432 Hz business

That's some space hull stuff, right dere!

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears I have dozens of these pictures.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Nature is amazing how it expresses itself, I wonder has anyone compared these cymatic images with those using other substances? there could be some interesting differences between say water and oil, or water and salt. It may be that every substance has it's own particular resonant structure.

It fascinates me to see the various patterns expressed in odd and even structures and the harmonic overtones taken on a vastly different look than the initial tone. Great stuff tiny! Thanks.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join