It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China hopes to be growing potatoes on the moon ‘within 100 days’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The 18cm high aluminium alloy cylinder - called a moon surface micro-ecological circle - contains silkworm eggs and seeds for potatoes and cress. Chinese scientists now hope both plants will root and sprout in the container, producing the first flower ever grown on the space rock.

They hope to see the results towards the end of a 100-day experimental period, according to the country's space agency. Last night, they announced their first breakthrough publishing a picture of cotton seed, bought up on Chang’e 4 actually growing.

China hopes to be growing potatoes on the moon ‘within 100 days’

With all the spacecraft NASA has landed on the moon and Mars they have never sprouted anything that I can remember. With Mars I am sure it is contamination fears, but they could do it in a sealed container. This is great PR for China, growing stuff on the moon.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

They must be so proud. Good for them. Someone had to grow moon potatoes.

I wonder if moon produce can become a thing. Launch a farm, send a farm back for harvest.

Very cool China.
edit on 1 14 2019 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
That's the thing about this mission that many people might have missed - we're deliberately taking life forms other than humans to the Moon surface for the first time in history (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Granted, the lunar environment is such that no life could possibly survive should the container break open, but still...

Watch this space for giant potato monsters attacking the earth.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   

This is the kind of thing that I joined ATS for! Starred and flagged!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So is this what will anger the mooninites.

It clearly says no outside food or drinks.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I bet they could sell those moon spuds for five hundred bucks a pound at auction. It might help pay for their trips to the moon. If they were guaranteed pure, I would even buy a pound to eat, just so I could say I ate moon potatoes.

Potatoes grow just about anywhere, they eat rock like dandelions do.
edit on 14-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I think they watch to many Hollywood movies saw that on The Martian

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Wonderful. Now the ultra ultra rich and hold parties for their ultra ultra rich friends so they can have Moonfries with their lobsters from the seas of Europa. Or would the be Eo, ah who cares, this is such a non-event.

Maybe I can not wash my feet for a month and grow cauliflower between my toes. Yeah that' s the ticket, Moon fries space lobster and cauliflower ala Terry.
'

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Is this before or after China assassinates a Canadian citizen?

Yay China!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
That's fascinating. It will be interesting to follow this and see what comes of it. If they can really grow something up there, it opens up many possibilites for the future.
Getting it back to earth though will be an interesting problem for someone.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I am personally glad to see China (or anyone else) doing stuff on the moon, Mars, or where ever.. Maybe it will motivate the west go get back into some serious space stuff.. Our rovers and orbiters are scientific wonders but like I said glad to have some competition in space as it will rejuvenate scientist who dream big. .

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
There is growing evidence that China's supposed Moon landing is a hoax.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Don't tell the Irish. Elsewise the they will be on the moon in a month. . .

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Potatoes grow just about anywhere, they eat rock like dandelions do.

SO DO GOATS!

CAN U IMAGINE

MOON-GOATS?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
I think they watch to many Hollywood movies saw that on The Martian

Yes, but are they using human poop as fertilizer?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Hey mate, Any links to this growing evidence of a Chinese moon hoax? Is the evidence as compelling as the supposed USA hoax? (I do believe America got there).a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Will they be making Cheese and Moonion crisps then

I'll get my coat

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I’m surprised no one has actually tried growing fresh produce on the moon or mars before considering all the talk of humans colonising space... great PR for the Chinese

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kingparrot

I don't beilve humans can get past the radition belt. Especially twice. Proves and equipment should be ok. But not manned missions based on the belt.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Would you eat those ? There is no ozone layer or athmosphere those potatoes are full of radiation !

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join