It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
m trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nanomorph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxNocerino7

A holodeck, it will make everyone's heads explode.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
A solution to the pollution and destructive components of Warp Drive.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A machine that will complete a student's creative writing assignment.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Easy! Ask an Author!

Machine to transfer knowledge from one mind to another.

Ten minutes of school a week.

Now that is awesome.

P

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxNocerino7
m trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nanomorph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

How about this. A long long time ago, a man was working on the philosophers stone. Think about it. Most heavy metals have to have come from the destruction of neutron stars. What if he was working on a “stone” the turned water to gold. The stone could be tested on a water rich planet, which turned around and also converts people to gold. You could tie the story to Leonardo as well as king Midas, maybe them receiving ancient texts or weapons hidden on a backwater, desolate planet on the fringes so that it didn’t destroy the galactic economy and start a war. If you make millions it, I want a trip to Jamaica.

Camain

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

His car, it broke down and he needs to go to the store.

it just has to sound cool and scientific

It's a flying car

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Something to clear debris from roadways, while converting that debris into armor for the machine cleaning the roadway.

A self healing battering ram, for combat scenarios on the ground, where a free path needs to be cleared, while under heavy continuous fire.

Lots of jacks, debris, metal, or foilage on the path? No problem. Gets autoconverted into armor, and the vehicle continues driving

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Cloaking

Bio enhancements or even being able to regrow a hand would be handy for some.

Missile system - seriously star wars missile systems suck better yet cloak them

A better energy system last movie they ran out of fuel. Disney sucks.

Mech suit

edit on 14-1-2019 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

AIRS;
Ambient Ionizing Radiation Survey.
He could be collecting core samples of literally anything and everything to measure isotopes.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The scientist is working on a guided reciprocating deflector shield that returns 75% of the damaging energy back to the targeting source.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   

A version of modern-day CRISPR gene editing.

The SW universe seems to have been very strong on technology but, aside from clones, relatively weak on the medical side (clones but no regeneration or transplantation of limbs or organs-rely on mech instead. Limited medical knowledge-ability to diagnose conditions e.g.death of Padme), etc.
edit on 14-1-2019 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

The scientist is working on a guided reciprocating deflector shield that returns 75% of the damaging energy back to the targeting source.

A reflector deflector shield?

He could be developing a lightsaber, to prove that Jedi are nothing special and anyone with a kyber crystal and some know how can build one. He could even have developed a synthetic kyber for it.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

How about an archaeologist? it's a big galaxy with lots of lost civilizations to discover.

My star wars book starts with an archaeologist, on a dig he finds a sith holocron and...well things go south from there. It'll never get published but it's a personal goal.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Synesthesia algorithms and hardware to promote better trade and communications with species that have different sensory inputs and ranges.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   
A container that keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold, without having to be programmed to do so.

or

a method of excising and containing material from Neutron stars. The container would "obviously" have to be made from his earlier invention, you know the one that works as a gravity shield.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:43 AM
link   

A Cyberthropologist. Like an anthropologist for robotics. Trying to determine when and how they became intelligent and conscious.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Turbo-Encabulator.

Or a gender change machine.

I would prefer the latter.
edit on 15/1/19 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Excuse me...

But since the introduction of midichlorians into the Star Wars universe, which from my understanding are living things that, when drawn into a body (presumably by way of preferences of those creatures, as to whom their host might be), make it possible for them to become aware of the workings of The Force, no scientist could ever deny the existence of the Force, especially since in the Star Wars universe, the Force is a tangible and measurable phenomenon. They might not believe in the philosophy of either the Jedi or the Sith, but no one living during the days of the New Republic could possibly deny the Force itself. The New Republic era could never have come about at all without the antagonism between users of Force powers, including Darth Vader, Palpatine, Luke Skywalker and so on, so there is no reason for anyone in the New Republic to doubt the Force is an existent phenomenon. You can doubt its origins, you can doubt the philosophy of those who wielded it in the past or present (whenever that is for the character concerned), but they could not possibly be a scientist and deny its existence, any more than a scientist of today could poo poo the idea of lightning. Its a readily observable phenomenon. The midichlorians issue is just a nail in the coffin. There is no way a New Republic citizen or person living during that time, could doubt the existence of the force, and have it make the blindest bit of sense!

As for what they could be building, how about a laser rifle that actually fires at the speed of light, rather than at the incredibly pedestrian speed of an Empire blaster rifle?

edit on 15-1-2019 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Dam you're kind of limiting yourself with that those restrictions a bit.

My suggestion would be to say that he is researching into Kyber Crystals right away, its kind of been done though in Star Wars Catalyst. With out knowing the story its kind of difficult to give you a firm suggestion. You might also find lots of inspiration if you read the Dr. Aphra comics if you haven't already. Sounds like it could be kind of similar to what your writing.

If it doesn't matter to the story just say its some kind of new hyperdrive system and be done with it, I dont really see why it would have to be something amazingly original if its not a big part of the story and its just being used as a plot device to say Mr. Scientist is researching x.

I love this kind of fan-fiction stuff so be sure to let us know about the finished product.

edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join