It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the H happened to flip phones?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx
look for an LG Cosmos. It has a full physical keyboard, and t9 texting ability. It is bare bones, it can access the internet, but is really limited in doing so. It isn't a flip phone, but it is close enough. I have never had a smart phone, people think I am weird for being proud of that, but they also appreciate my full attention when I am with them.

Try having a month of standby time or 6.5hrs of talk time on a smart phone... it isn't happening.

edit on 15-1-2019 by dubiousatworst because: more info

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

How's the MPG on the Model T ?

😎

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   

LOL I have the same phone and it is straight trash.
I hate it, but for $12/month, I can live with it for a little while longer.
I have to restart it everyday just so it will run at acceptable speed.
I have to delete my text threads regularly, because everytime you view one, it starts at the first message and works it's way down to the last one and takes forever.
Service is garbage too.

The only plus is that it has never seen the internet, wi-fi, data, location, ect.

I've had it for about 6 months and I cant stand it.
It is nice not to have the temptation of the internet in my front pocket though

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The few things I dont like about smart phones are:
Someone can be recording you talking without your knowledge.
Someone can instegram your most embarrassing moment to who knows who.
Someone can take video of you without your knowledge.
Someone can add a 3rd party to an ongoing call without your knowledge.
People with the right technology can spy on everything you do, say, everywhere you go and all of your messages.

Otherwise mine is invaluable to me at work whether Im driving or mechanicing.
GPS saves my *$$ daily and blows the dash mounted ones away.
If I need parts I can dind them cheapest online wherever Im at and get them ordered or find where I can drive and pick them up.

I just wish it werent so expensive.
My 1st land line was 25 bucks per month.

The only thing I miss about a flip phone is buttons that you can feel without seeing and the down button that took me strait to recent calls.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Temptation is a good description. I don't care for smart phones, from someone that had the first brick phone in her community. It was a job perk, which I soon realized was more of a tether than a perk.

I am an old broad, but I was a computer operator way back in the day when a computer took up a whole room. When keypunch operators, verifiers, plug board wiring and coallators, where at the heart of the computing process. I remember when I could read a punched keypunch card without running it through the machine, that little skill helped me get through a semester in University. So I am not anti-technology.

I saw the handwriting on the wall when we no longer had to input our own programs to make the computers work for us and it became us, conforming to the software. I hated almost all the early pre-programmed software, except for Leisure Suit Larry.

I knew even back then that computers would eventually be small enough to hold in your hands, instead of taking up half a city block. And I anxiously was awaiting Dick Tracy's wrist phone. Now I have zero interest in such a thing.

Over time I have lost the desire for constant, instant, remote, contact. I think some conveniences are items that provide a basic function and I like keeping them simple. A watch gives me the time, I don't want it to be jewelry. A car takes me where I want to go, for me it is not a status symbol. A phone that makes and receives calls works just fine for me.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It seems to me that everyone is glued to FB, Instagram and suchlike sites where you chat for free and video chat so that's one reason.

I still habe a boxed motorola v220 but no charger! I'm keeping it just for keeps sake

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Let's put it this way. How many flip phones do you think would be sold in a year? That's why they don't sell flip phones any more. Life moves on. If you don't, that's okay. It gives you something to brag about. Now everyone on the Internet who "wastes time" on ATS (Is there any other explanation?) will tell us how and why they don't have the latest and greatest from Apple or Samsung. But somehow you found time to get on here and complain, right? Hmmmmmm.

LOL hate my phone on the weekends but love it during the week, traveling salesman. From sales calls,directions making reservations. contact home office etc etc. All while driving using my blutooth headset at 65 mph. Used to have to use tons of maps and yellow pages now all on my phone. Not to mention thanks for the security it gives my two daughter now living far away,talk to them all the time helping them go somewhere they have never been. Yea it gets tiresome when somebody can reach you 24/7 but I need it more than hate it.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shockerking

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't have a cell phone anymore, I gave it up about seven years ago. My wife has one, she just upgraded from her flip phone a year ago to a smart phone. It cost sixty bucks for that smart phone and costs us like thirteen bucks a month for the service, it is one of those Shopko phones. There are only like two hundred minutes a month of phone time, we had lots we didn't use from years of the ten dollar a month phone that she transferred. We don't use the little data we get each month either, we still got over two gigs of data from the switch. It is set to use the internet first. She actually made about five texts this year on her phone, she shocked the kids and grandkids.

I don't even want to learn how to use the smart phone. I have been working with computers since eighty eight, I would rather just sit at a desk and type than use my thumbs like that.
I upgraded to a smartphone. I actually find it annoying. Freaking thing when you are on a call the touchscreen thinks your ear lobes is a finger or thumb and hangs up calls. What genius came up with this craploa?

Once you make a call, you have to shut the screen off, so it wont hang up on people. Trust me, it will solve your problem.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks
An application to do what exactly?

Does that cell phone app make me any money?

What does it do for me personally on a financial level? Because as far as I know apps only cost me money. They do not generate money for me.

Sure cell phone companies are only doing it for the money.. the money the money the money. Sell sell sell. Data plan rate after data plan rate after data plan rate.

How much does it cost to have those cell phone companies to have flip phones and more basic phones connect to their service? Why do they not allow me to use a cell phone from Nokia that is not a smart phone, or has no ability to browse the Web? How hard is it to just allow people to buy any non smart phone or Internet phone to have service on it. How hard is it to have a plan that has no data in it what so ever? Why is it so hard to activate an older phone without those capabilities? That is what I am asking. Most companies today do not allow you to have a flip phone. They want you to have some sort of smart phone.

That is what I am shedding light on. You simply can not even buy a phone from another company a d activate it in the us. They have completely cut off ties with the older cell phone markets and sell nothing but smart phones. Yet you can't even connect a blackberry to any cell tower anymore. Why? Seriously that is my complaint. You have to have a smartphone to get service and that is what I am trying to avoid. I don't want a smartphone. I want to buy a flip phone. They should allow any phone to connect to their service but they completely cut off everyone from being able to activate a phone with their service if it is not a smartphone. That is my complaint.

They are forcing people to buy a smart phone. Third party or not, you can't activate any other flip phone besides that stupid Alcatel go flip. If that pos can connect to t mobile, cricket, virgin, boost, sprint, and Verizon then why can't I connect my third party flip phone to their network? Why do I have to purchase a smartphone? Why does it have to only be a smartphone? I hate them now because I have no use for using any apps. I quit social media. I don't have a need to play any games on my phone because they are all boring. I have a desktop pc for that. I just want a basic plan with talk and text without any data option what so ever. So e companies offer this but have that stupid Alcatel go flip as the only option you have when trillions of phones exist. Why cut them all out? How expensive is it to have basic call and text on those old phones?

That is what I am complaining about. They don't even allow you to have a third party option what so ever for flip phones.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I used to be a cab driver in denver colorado. A really big city. After a while I began using a smartphone for directions. Then soon after someone told me how to navigate without a gps. And it is simple. The number and street sign tell me how far east, west, north, and south I need to travel away from the 0 marker street. As long as you know the 0 marker street for north/south east/west then you can find any address. Every street in a city goes in increments of 100. In residential blocks it is pretty much the same but only in a few cases you will see addresses jump 200 at a time.

After taking that one bit of information from someone I was able to start navigating to any address without the aid of any gps device what so ever.

I am not saying that you should learn to do this, but if you want to save an extra 75 dollars a month without data you can learn how to do this yourself.

That is why I turned my data off. I found out how to do things without a smartphone after I spent thousands per year to have a data plan. Most hotels offer you free wifi. Why not wait until you get into your room at a hotel to do your business instead of risking your life doing it on the road?

When it comes to entertainment I don't need it at work. I watch it at home on my computer. When it comes to social media I quit. I no longer have a need for Facebook as it is just a waste of time. Besides reddit is better than Facebook.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

When I lived in the city, that system was easy to learn and it worked, even in most of the suburbs where they mostly used named streets but where in alphabetical order.

I live in a rural area where there is no known rhyme or reason for how the addresses are numbered or named. There are few street signs and a lot of those are handmade. Even with GPS I guarantee on your first trip out here you will get lost.

I now talk in my first time guest and even then some have a problem. I even have some friends that I have to go out to the turn around and lead in. Country folk sometimes do things in a bit of odd way, compared to the standard.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Works just fine and no pesky telemarketer call either..

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: DrumsRfun
Remember when someone called and if you didn't answer, you wouldn't know who it was. Those were the days!
If it was important they would call back.

I remember the horror of wanting to talk to cute girls but having to call their house phone and ask their dad if they're there when he picks up... And then be super paranoid that he was listening in on the entire conversation. Now THOSE were the days. Kids today will never understand the struggle.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Damn dude why were you paying $550/month on data???...That's insane. Sounds like your problem was your phone plan.

I dunno, having a small portable computer that fits in my pocket is pretty awesome and the $40/month is pretty manageable.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Get a BLU smartphone ($50-$100) and get a minute plan with no data & use wifi at home/starbuks.. I spend $25/3 months.
edit on 15-1-2019 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I have had a LG B470 flip phone for the last 5 years........no problems. I dumped the smart phone because, like you, I have no need for a data plan.

Chec it out.
www.phonerated.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I got a "smart"phone finally. And a plan for about $20.00 per month. But, mostly because if we lose power, we lose the "land"line as well.

Seriously? I don't. That's because the COEM (Central Office Equipment Room) has batteries in the basement. It was DESIGNED to not lose power in a power outage. The only way you could lose your landline phone in a power outage is if you had some sort of electronic phone you have to plug into an outlet. Older phones, the kind you simply plug int the phone jack, derive their power from the cable pair from the phone company. I have an old "princess" phone I keep around just for that purpose.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: schuyler
Let's put it this way. How many flip phones do you think would be sold in a year? That's why they don't sell flip phones any more. Life moves on. If you don't, that's okay. It gives you something to brag about. Now everyone on the Internet who "wastes time" on ATS (Is there any other explanation?) will tell us how and why they don't have the latest and greatest from Apple or Samsung. But somehow you found time to get on here and complain, right? Hmmmmmm.

Yea it gets tiresome when somebody can reach you 24/7 but I need it more than hate it.

So turn the phone off. That's the difference between you controlling your phone or the phone controlling you. It's not the fault of the phone that it rings when you have it turned on. The phone is for my convenience, no one else's. If I decide it is convenient for people to reach me, I'll turn it on. Otherwise it stays off.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

oh that is a typo. I meant to write 50 but I forgot to double check. My Cherry MX Keyboard likes to input extra numbers... For what ever reason I press it once but it says I pressed it twice. I can type in 12345 and sometimes I will see 112344555. It is a pain for me now when I enter passwords because I have to see if it actually put in the correct numbers.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You should try bernallilo in new Mexico. It is just outside of the city yet some of the streets don't even appear on google maps. They made up their own street signs and names but if you type it into google maps it can't find it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join