It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My gym closed without warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Not really much of a rant, just disappointed.

My gym closed without warning last Monday. Just a quick FB post from the manager stating that the doors would be closing at 8:00 PM.

I had worked there and trained there for over a year as the lead boxing coach. I wasn't real shocked because this happens a lot in the industry. I felt super bad for those who worked there full time. For me it's a part time gig. Despite closing suddenly and not notifying anyone it appears they had the time to strike up a deal with one of the huge chain gyms in the area to buy up all of the existing memberships. People were pissed and I'm not even sure if it's legal to do that... sell someone's information without permission.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to take my program over to another local gym even closer to my house. They gave me essentially the same schedule and are letting me do my own programming on Sundays (challenges and boot-camps), and I'm pretty sure they're making me PT-Boxing / Boxing Coach.

Change is a good thing for sure but I'll miss some of my followers. The membership fee at this new place is way higher and doesn't even include all of the classes. The space is smaller too. I'll make it work.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I used to train a lot and there was one place I went to for boxing, boot camps and S&C. No contracts, all pay on the door and they were open from 6am to 10pm which meant being able to go before/after work. I was also in a separate running club and had a 'proper' gym for free weights and swimming. The place changed owners, went to contracts and ran a timetable I couldn't fit in with. There was nowhere else like it so I slowly drifted away from training. Bummer.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to take my program over to another local gym even closer to my house. They gave me essentially the same schedule and are letting me do my own programming on Sundays (challenges and boot-camps), and I'm pretty sure they're making me PT-Boxing / Boxing Coach.

Not all bad then. Glad for you and hope it works out in the long term.

join