It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Develop Internet Signal Transmitted Through Light 100 times faster than current wi-fi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is a new field of study using light for internet wifi communication. The signal doesnt travel through walls but it is very secure. Perhaps they will find a way to innovate atound that. It is very interesting because there are various spectrums of light that could be used.

I imagine a future where light is used as a broadcast signals everywhere illuminating our environment with data.
What could be some future uses for this technology?

www.entrepreneur.com...
Imagine a world where your Internet connection comes from a light source. And in that world, your Internet connection is as much as 100 times faster than current wi-fi data transmission.

That future isn’t imaginary. It’s coming.
There are exponentially more sources of light than there are radio waves, and therefore, there is potential for exponentially more data to be transferred through li-fi than with the wi-fi we are currently using.

While li-fi, or “visible light communication,” is still largely the purview of university researchers and a small selection of high-tech, futuristic startups, the industry is expected to grow significantly over the next five years. Currently a $327.8 million industry, the visible light communication market is expected to be worth more than $8.5 billion by 2020, according to an estimate from the Indian market-research firm Markets and Markets.

Li-fi may sound like wild, mind-boggling, futuristic technology, but it also has the potential to solve very real, everyday problems.

As more and more people all over the globe come online, the radio waves that currently transmit data are becoming overwhelmed. When radio waves become overloaded, data transmission becomes slow. Painfully slow. Have you ever tried to get online at an airport?

Not only are we bringing more and more people in the world online, but people who are already online are demanding ever more data transmission. Consumers expect to be able to watch videos on their mobile devices. And the Internet of Things movement is embedding wireless connectivity to devices and gadgets that haven’t previously used Internet, like your refrigerator, car and coffee pot.
In addition to providing greater access to data connectivity, li-fi is more secure than radio connectivity, says Haas. Light waves do not transmit through walls. Therefore, if sensitive data is transmitted via li-fi, it will not travel beyond the room where the light radiates.

Haas serves as the Chief Scientific Officer at the United Kingdom-based startup PureLifi, where he is overseeing the development of li-fi data transmission products.
For parts of the world where the infrastructure to support LED light bulbs does not exist, Haas has just in September unveiled technology that would allow the transmission of data through solar-powered energy cells.

edit on 13-1-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

"What could be some future uses for this technology?"

Have you seen Bird Box yet?

On a more realistic scale, satellite communications would seem to be an area where technologies like this could shine.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I could see it already, the light will attract multitudes of moths and skeeters and they will learn all of what the internet has to offer and overthrow humanity.

I'll pass.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Good point !!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, damn. Just in time to make this whole 5G revolution obsolete before it gets off the ground!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I could see it already, the light will attract multitudes of moths and skeeters and they will learn all of what the internet has to offer and overthrow humanity.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
LIFI
Works great I hear...

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
i think data transfer at the moment is pretty good, it can stream movies as fast as you can watch them, we don’t need them 100 times faster yet.

However I am not a commercial IT person so whilst my business Skype phones can get a bit slow, it’s probably my old laptop!

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Li-fi isn’t anything new.
But it still is rather less known than wifi.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Lifi works great for Machine Learning.
Mass amounts of data, processed and spit back out in real time.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I don’t know what a 100 times faster than WiFi is but multi-mode optical fiber is 10 Gbit/s up to 550 m. If this new technology doesn’t use fiber it looks like the laser would be very hard on the eyes as well as hard to aim.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I hope it works. Thy are going to find out how harmful 5G and other wireless protocols are and we will need an alternative.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is the Most Dangerous thing the government will use against us.
every room ever wear will have a light frequency emitter in it.
that can do things to Your brain we have no idea of.

the LED lights we have now are bad.
but they can only use one frequency.
You know what happens when you strobe a epileptic?
just think what this can do.
you will get it about 12+/- each day.
at home and work.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
This is the Most Dangerous thing the government will use against us.
every room ever wear will have a light frequency emitter in it.
that can do things to Your brain we have no idea of.

the LED lights we have now are bad.
but they can only use one frequency.
You know what happens when you strobe a epileptic?
just think what this can do.
you will get it about 12+/- each day.
at home and work.

As if every home filled with wifi is all rainbows and unicorns on your body. Time will tell. Light is just "visible", or nearly so.
edit on 13-1-2019 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

and as soon it becomes mass marketed the usual suspects will say it gives you cancer...

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I don’t know what a 100 times faster than WiFi is but multi-mode optical fiber is 10 Gbit/s up to 550 m. If this new technology doesn’t use fiber it looks like the laser would be very hard on the eyes as well as hard to aim.

Well they said the light can be invisible so the potential is there to have networks broadcast signals without people seeing the signal itself.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Well they said the light can be invisible so the potential is there to have networks broadcast signals without people seeing the signal itself.

I think you are miss understanding the definition of visible light. The other thing is this will increase power consumption as lights will have to remain on all the time.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Majic

originally posted by: rickymouse

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Ummm...insect...is that like being in a cult or something...?

I’m so overlords...it’s not even funny...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

I think you are miss understanding the definition of visible light. The other thing is this will increase power consumption as lights will have to remain on all the time.

You may have a point however they did mention in the video that the light could be so dim it would not be visible. Also there are many spectrums of light which are not visible that this technology could work with.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

This technology doesn't use lasers like fiber does. Laser light is very focused energy, this is more like an omni-directional antenna as opposed to a directional antenna in an RF application.

In theory, the frequency of the light oscillation is beyond that which can be observed by the human eye/brain. The problem I have with this technology is, we really don't know what the 'other' 80% of the human brain is capable of perceiving and this is one area where we could 'see' some serious issues come forward we never even considered. Now, you might immediately think RF falls into the same category, but it actually doesn't. The human physiology doesn't have a built-in RF antenna connected to the brain, whereas we very much do have a built-in light receptor wired to the brain (our eyes). Big difference.

One poster here noted that the 'usual suspects' will be along shortly to claim "cancer", but this is probably the last thing I think of when I consider this technology. I'm thinking more along the lines of we don't know what influence these signals may have on electrical signals being processed inside the brain. Here again, I suppose one could question RF generated EMI causing the same interference, but our body's are a natural attenuator against RF signals, whereas they are highly adapted to processing light signals.

Another poster mentioned the effects of strobe lights on epileptic seizures, and this is actually a very real example. Building Codes around the world had to be modified so fire alarm systems wouldn't cause seizures. Li-Fi is just a very (very) fast strobe-like condition.

I, for one, think we need to be very careful with this particular technology. Remember, if you deploy this technology into a space, not only will the technology consumers be exposed to it, but everyone else in the space will be too.

new topics

top topics

join