It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA pioneer stripped of honours amid 'reckless' race remarks.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
James Watson is one of the leading pioneers of DNA. The foundation on modern medicine and genetical science is built around it work.
He has achieved more than most people will ever achieved.

However he has made these remarks.

inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" as "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - where all the testing says not really".

While Dr Watson also said he hoped everyone was equal, he added: "People who have to deal with black employees find this is not true."

Souce

OK without a doubt he is pretty racist.

But does a 90 year old racist views wipe out all the good he has contributed? Should all his honors be wiped out because of this?

Text

edit on 13-1-2019 by Unruhestifter because: (no reason given)

+31 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Unruhestifter

So iq testing is racist too?
Do tell

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I don't see the first remark you quoted as racist. The second one is pretty tactless though. I don't think he should be stripped of any honors at his age.

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   
yes - watson is a racist - and actions should have consequences

BUT

once again - selective bias is being applied

black figures make al kinds of racist comments - and crickets ......................

white man makes racist remark , fooking pandemonium ...........................

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

So iq testing is racist too?
Do tell

Never said it was did I?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I don't really understant this part of the OP"

Text

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:41 AM
link   
This is not exactly new news. The only development was an interview in which he was asked if he still believed this and he said, "Yes."

The question, "But does a 90 year old racist views wipe out all the good he has contributed? Should all his honors be wiped out because of this?" Wipe out his honors? Let me ask you this. Should we teach that America never went to the moon because all the rockets were designed by Nazis that once used slave labor?

Maybe you should back off your smear campaign.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   

But does a 90 year old racist views wipe out all the good he has contributed? Should all his honors be wiped out because of this?

Unless his "sin" in any way invalidates his accomplishments, the honors should stand.

Years and years ago, when we were considering making Martin Luther King's birthday a holiday, some folks were real quick to point out his infidelity to his wife to paint him as not deserving of the honor... others, of course, made the same point you are asking -- should all the good MLK contributed wiped out by his mistakes?

But if we only honor and celebrate the perfect, who would we then honor and celebrate? No one. Because no one is perfect.

I think the greater problem is that we tend to equate great deeds with great persons, and then put people on pedestals for all the wrong reasons, and don't want to recognize that they have faults. Or, conversely, we want to ignore or belittle one's accomplishments and focus only on their faults. It doesn't work well either way.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:53 AM
link   

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Facts aren’t racist.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Maybe a better question is, "Do we need more race baiting on ATS?"

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
He has some points..

Most of inventions has been done north from equator. In survival point of view and evolution of man, in Africa there were plenty fruits, meat etc where they lived, surviving was easy ( unless you were a pray by lion.. so you learnt not to go near one ), knowledge of surviving was being member of the group.

In North of equator more skills were needed, survival needed more brainwork and knowledge of error were shared with offsprings and so was knowledge of achievements to survive better and so on ... being member of the group mostly but groups were smaller in size
We need constant challenges to survive and evolve and in big group if all what you need to survive is there at your reach all you do is more members to the group.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:40 AM
link   

"If you could find the gene which determines sexuality and a woman decides she doesn't want a homosexual child, well, let her..."
James Watson

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Somehow we the people have really hard times getting along with the idea of we the people. Low IQ or high IQ does not matter. Slow or fast wit, does not matter. Somehow, we the people always find a way to be more specific who this we in the people actually are, and who those other people are.

I guess its human to be total ass. And in case you don’t buy it, blame it on Anglosaxon heritage... Those b-tards.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

scientists aren't that popular on this board as long they say climate change is real. and yes his remarks are racist. nothing special right? luckily he sold his nobelprice to an russian oligarch.

but whats the point? blacks are less worth as white people? what is the conclusion?

believing in chemtrails, loch ness, time traveller, hillary is a child trafficer, obama is a muslim terrorist, sandy hook was staged and so on... isn't a sign of intelligence too.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   
So now science is racists ?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   

IMHO, Being a racist is the most common form of bonding and promotes the need to be better. Those that can't be better either become slaves or die. The history of the world has had slavery throughout and I doubt any "socially correct" action will truly change that in the future, except to make slaves of everyone.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Woooo guys

Thread was not about if blacks where not as intelligent as whites. Thats a T&C no no

Its about if a scientist should be stripped of honors for comments deemed inappropriate.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well there is no color filter on my computer and a lot of idiots seem to be in the sandbox right now.

Jeepers creepers....lets all marten up already....what the man means is that learning methods are racially catalysed supported and propagated....they are ingrained....they are connected inextricably to our cultural climate.

When you remove culture and spirituality from a people you remove the conduits to path of least resistance learning.....you DISENFRANCHISE THE PEOPLE.

I have met idiots of every racial profle.....I have met smarty pants of every racial profile.

Its all about location and path of least resistance learning.

Cultural integration and cultural symbiosis are NOT RELATIVE TO INETELLECT POTENTIALS...they ARE relative to availble learning dynamics......which by proxy are relative to the ability to express learning potentials.....so you see it is easy to DISENFRANCHISE a CULTURE and inhibit its ability to learn by fracturing its cultural core values and then claim upon ATTEMPTED INTEGRATION SOCIALLY AND CULTURALLY INTO THE CONQUORING CULTURE that these people are slow learners or are unable by nature to learn at speeds and volumes as those in the adopted or new culture.....this shift must be a slow seamless one....and it takes generations to eliminate a culture.

This man came from a time when all information he was given in his teachings was bastardised in one form or another by the Privately owned publishing companies who control the publication nd distribition of peer approved papers.

Yes....his technical statistical models will prove out his statement...but they are flawed by proxy of his bastardised education.

Using my methods and models you can replicate his statistical numbers using any color interchangably as the baseline quotient....and reproduce the numbers that will prove to a per his rationale that each of those colors will replicate the African curve.

Anybody else get that?

As an aside,I once worked in the North American Oilfields on Drilling Rigs.....99% of the men and women I worked with were whiteish or redish....or some mix there-of......I distinctly remember working with a African man.....one....of 4 over a decade...and we were same minded....within days he was calling me a nickname...PROFESSOR....and I was calling him HANDY........no one else could connect or figure out what we were talking about or how we had developed these icknames because nicknames are generally a group thing....well it was because we BOTH SAW EVERYTHING AROUND US THE SAME WAYS...we looked different we spoke different we dressed different and we ate different foods...but we ABSORBED DATA AND PROBLEM SOLVED THE SAME WAYS..... we made nicknames for each other because so many times on the job both of us would show up at the scene of a problem or issue needing to be solved and we would always sit in the weeds and observe and internally problem solve...wait till the correct time...then step in and SOLVE THE PROBLEM.....because we BOTH knew that we had to recruit a specific % of the current present status qou opinion to even have a chance to solve anything(the politics of production....lol...)....of course we immediatly noticed each other....he was CLEARLY smarter than everyone else...so I thought then.... today I know we simply had the same type of Teacher....I was vain and we both simply had different data assimilation and projection techniques than everyone else had been given to work with.

Neither Handy nor the Professor held high ranking positions....both specificlly sat in the weeds....and both solved a disproportionately HIGH VOLUME of group problems....to the point they were counted on to do so.

Yes....the black man and the white man were same-minded...different countries of origin different cultures...but similar teachers.....and we both used our ability to UNDERSTAND EVERYONE ELSES PERSPECTIVE and their methods of thinking with equality and respect....that way we never missed anything relevant or important....everyone was equal and everyone had something to ADD to the solution....but in most cases only two of us viewed everyone as equal enough to be able to expeditiously put together everyones data and solve the problem...we deleted the biases that most cannot overcome...we were the TROUBLE SHOOTERS.

Statistics and numbers are misdirectng by proxy and can be manipulated and managed to send different messages .

Like I said this guy made a statement based on stats he observed...but the methodology(path of most resistance) used to produce those stats unduly influenced the net end result...so his findings are flawed by proxy....however if you challenge him in a Court of Law he would win based upon a status qou endorsed and accepted peer approved methods he employed.
edit on 13-1-2019 by one4all because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join