It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Per NASA Asteroid 101955 Bennu shown as 0.00 distance from earth 9-24-2186

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don't recall ever seeing an asteroid identified by NASA as having a flyby distance of 0.00 from earth.

The NASA “Sentry: Earth Impact Monitoring” webpage currently shows that 101955 Bennu (1999 RQ36) will pass with a distance of 0.00 from earth on 9-24-2186 and again on 9-25-2187.

I had read that this asteroid was projected pass close to earth in 2135 (1 in 2,7000 odds)...I didn’t realize it was going to be on a collision course in subsequent passes. Even though this potential asteroid strike event won’t occur in my lifetime...still concerning for future generations.

When NASA sent OSIRIS-REx to Bennu to “collect samples” I didn’t realize it was to prepare for protecting the earth from a potential future impact event by this specific asteroid. It makes sense that NASA needs to know what Bennu is made of if they are going to try to deflect It or destroy it.

Where did the NASA tracking data go for 2019 thru 2186? It is no longer on the NASA Sentry webpage. Does anyone have the yearly tracking data on this asteroid?

cneos.jpl.nasa.gov...

Sentry: Earth Impact Monitoring

101955 Bennu (1999 RQ36)

edit on 12-1-2019 by Buvvy because: Added information.

edit on 12-1-2019 by Buvvy because: Adding information

edit on 12-1-2019 by Buvvy because: Adding question

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If we addressed it in the next decade or so it would take very little manipulation to alleviate the potential threat. Any tiny adjustment to its trajectory would be huge over a century plus.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well, that's sixty eight years from now. I will be a hundred thirty one years old. I'll probably get alzheimers in my hundred twenties so I am not worried about this one....Hey google, remind me an asteroid might hit earth in September of 2086. Hey google, stop laughing at me.

Oh wow, it's not in sixty eight years, it is a hundred sixty eight years. Whew, I feel a lot better, I know I won't live that long. I had to turn Hey google off, it has a horrible laugh.
edit on 12-1-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

So I only have 168 years to get my sh*t together? Clean the garage, do that tree pruning I have been putting off, making sure my browser history is cleared?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
First - gotta admit that I feel like an idiot for thinking that NASA was just visitng Bennu to see if they could land a satellite on an asteroid. I had read articles stating that this was being done to see if there was potential for collecting future earth resources (water and minerals)...I bought into this as the explanation for why the endeavor was being attempted. Feeling like a sheep buying into whatever media cover story is being fed to me.

Second - I remember a prior ATS thread where as the OSIRIS-REx satellite intially passed Bennu someone gabbed a photo of what looked like a probe on the surface and said it looks like somone beat us to it. Everyone joked about it. Now I realize that If this satellite is really going to hit earth in the future another country might have already sent a probe.

Third - I know that this asteroid will flyby earth in 2135 (and possibly sooner than that); however, NASA’s Sentry: Earth Impact Monitoring page lists the first recoded flyby as 9-24-2186.

Asking again: Where did the NASA tracking data go for 2019 thru 2186? It is no longer on the NASA Sentry webpage. Nennu passes earth every six years. Does anyone have the yearly tracking data on this asteroid?

a reply to: Metallicus

edit on 12-1-2019 by Buvvy because: Typo

edit on 12-1-2019 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I’m guessing the public hasen’t been fully informed/advised as to the full scope of the purpose of the OSIRIS-REx satellites mission.

If the mission was to do more than collect samples...then the government might already be attempting to alter the course of Bennu.

If NASA is attempting to alter the course and they fail (or make the situation worse) - do you think they would publicly announce it?

Data for potential Bennu collision events 2019 up to 2186 is no longer on the NASA Sentry web page. Data used to be there for potential impact in 2135...now that data is gone.

a reply to: Metallicus

edit on 12-1-2019 by Buvvy because: Typo

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Just wondering what OSIRIS-REx is really doing up on Bennu. Might be cause for concern.

The OSIRIS-REx has be circling Bennu since December 02, 2018 and is mapping the surface of Bennu with plans to land on the surface in the summer of 2020.

The spacecraft is mapping the surface of the asteroid for over a year prior to landing to collect a sample?

a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Guess Newton was not to far off and he did say perhaps later

For Newton, 2060 A.D. would be more like a new beginning. It would be the end of an old age, and the beginning of a new era—the era Jews refer to the Messianic age and the era pre millenarian Christians term the Millennium or Kingdom of God.

Two examples of the date 2060 in Yahuda MS 7.3 (Jewish National and University Library, Jerusalem) 7.3g, folio 13 verso: So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, recconing twelve months to a yeare & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived [sic] kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060. It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner.

This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail
. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons wch God hath put into his own breast.

isaac-newton.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It is also somewhat in keeping with the cycle of cataclysmic events described by Chan Thomas in “The Adam and Eve Story”. www.cia.gov...

The book describes the prior locations of the North Pole and the durations between world wide cataclysmic events (associated with earth pole shifts) as follows:

North Pole Era. start (years ago)/. End (years ago). Duration (Years)

Arctic Ocean 6,500 ? ?

Sudan Basin 11,500 6,500. 5,000

Hudson Bay 18,500 11,500. 7,000

Caspian Sea 29,000 18,500. 10,500

Wyoming 35,000 29,000. 6,000

a reply to: SeaWorthy

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
be sure to leave a post-it on the fridge for your great great grand children

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
On the post-it-note should I let the kids know where I left the HAMMER?

Hypervelocity Asteroid Mitigation Mission for Emergency Response (HAMMER). www.llnl.gov...

a reply to: Akragon

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
be sure to leave a post-it on the fridge for your great great grand children

Or perhaps a large stone calendar?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
It is also somewhat in keeping with the cycle of cataclysmic events described by Chan Thomas in “The Adam and Eve Story”. www.cia.gov...

The book describes the prior locations of the North Pole and the durations between world wide cataclysmic events (associated with earth pole shifts) as follows:

North Pole Era. start (years ago)/. End (years ago). Duration (Years)

Arctic Ocean 6,500 ? ?

Sudan Basin 11,500 6,500. 5,000

Hudson Bay 18,500 11,500. 7,000

Caspian Sea 29,000 18,500. 10,500

Wyoming 35,000 29,000. 6,000

NEWS 09 JANUARY 2019 Earth’s magnetic field is acting up and geologists don’t know why Erratic motion of north magnetic pole forces experts to update model that aids global navigation.
www.nature.com...

FAST FACTS 1) The south pole has already left antarctica and the north pole is racing across the arctic ocean.

2) “Earth’s magnetic poles are getting ready to flip.” -Mission Manager, SWARM/ESA

3) The magnetic field began weakening in 1600.

4) The magnetic field weakened 10% from the 1800s to 2000.

5) Earth’s magnetic field was weakening 5% per century, but now is weakening 5% per decade.

6) As of 2014 the magnetic field is continuing to weaken rapidly.

7) Magnetic reversals can occur in less than 100 years.

8) Magnetic reversals lead to extinction events.

9) Magnetic reversals may cause biblical floods.

magneticreversal.org...

edit on 12-1-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is from JPL's analysis

Snipped from report as I could only find the report in PDF.
Full report here.

postdocs.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Bennu is quite large, so the rough orbital characteristics should have been detectable earlier than 1999?
The Bennu mission was choreographed just after the Geminid meteor shower arrived this year.
Is there a tracking web page that can display historical tracks when it passed near the sun?

Looks like that is covered in the PDF,
The theme of asteroid destruction goes way back, could actually be generally what Newton had in mind for the end of times?
There were likely quite a lot of secret predictions made in the early years of asteroid tracking.
Might have to go back and watch a rerun of the movie "Contact".

edit on 12-1-2019 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Ha! Good one!

Wouldn’t want to leave a message at all. Too much risk of it being miss-interpreted and somehow many centuries later turned into the foundation for a new religion.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Thank you! This link was exactly what I was looking for.

postdocs.jpl.nasa.gov...

I didn’t realize that OSIRIS-REx’s mission included performing a deflection experiment for March 10, 2021. That explains why they are spending a year mapping the surface, prior to collecting samples.

a reply to: UKTruth

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
Thank you! This link was exactly what I was looking for.

postdocs.jpl.nasa.gov...

I didn’t realize that OSIRIS-REx’s mission included performing a deflection experiment for March 10, 2021. That explains why they are spending a year mapping the surface, prior to collecting samples.

a reply to: UKTruth

NP.
Reading the report, I think the section on the deflection mission is hypothetical in nature... though I guess you'd expect the author to have some knowledge of what is going on.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Ran into this story after reading this thread, not sure if one begot the other.

NASA has said there is a slim chance the asteroid could make impact with Earth on September 25, 2135. If it did, it is estimated that the energy unleashed during impact would be equivalent to 1,200 megatons – 80,000 times that released by the Hiroshima bomb.

Scientists hope Bennu will help them learn more about where humans come from and where we are going. This is because scientists believe asteroids carried the chemicals to Earth that led to the beginning of living organisms.

NASA recently announced plans to smash a spaceship into an asteroid to change its course in a bid to prevent a space rock smashing into Earth in the future. But planetary defence experts have raised concerns this may not work.

NASA captures image of ‘apocalypse asteroid’ that could strike Earth

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Here it shows in 2135 Benu coming within .001 AU From earth. With a time uncertainty of almost 5 hours... (271 minutes, in other words)
LINK

Thats a bigen. Thank you for sharing!!! S&F

...I had absolutely no idea our orbits intersected that closely....

----------ETA--------------

I don't recall ever seeing an asteroid identified by NASA as having a flyby distance of 0.00 from earth

Yeah just the other day, Jan-08 @ 00:37 UTC (time uncertainty .16 min...) "2019 AS5" passed within 0.0001 AU from earth, another one with an unusually close pass. I just thought I would throw that in since you mentioned the above quote to open the OP.... It is unusual though.

I remember a few years ago when that one hit Russia and shattered all those windows, there were actually many more large asteroids around the world causing damage that never received the same attention.... all within a week or so of the Russian one. They made the ATS news but not much more. Too lazy to search ATM but they were all substantial fireballs. I believe they were intentionally suppressed- and kept from news circles, IMO.

Like the Brazilian Tunguska.

-Driver

edit on -2160032SatSat, 12 Jan 2019 21:44:02 -060044vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 12 Jan 2019 21:44:02 -0600 by Z32Driver because: ETA close approach

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join