It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Monsters In The Great Lakes?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thank you, I found those very interesting!

I collected a few more links from an older post on this board-

Erie Monster 1

Erie Monster 2

Erie Monster 3

Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I hope so. I have an newspaper article about a sighting around august 1 1993.

KC8

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sea Monsters

Take from me I live in Michigan I been on every great lake and I've never seen or heard of a monster.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Take it from me, I also live in Michigan and I've also been on every great lake, but I have heard of the "monsters" in the lakes.

~DD

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'll bet that these sightings are nothing more than your uncommon living fossil, the sturgeon. These monsters can get up to 1500 pounds and give you the creeps if you have never seen one before.

www.anglingbc.com...

www.seagrant.wisc.edu...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I live in chicago, and one day several years ago I was snorkeling off the point, and I swear I saw this humongous fish off in the distance. It was at least about ten feet in length. maybe it was the young of some sort of sea monster???

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That would freak the hell out of me. Whenever I go tubing in the summer, and I fall off, I hate the feeling of the darkness below you... Very frightening. Also, knowing that a possible lake monster is under there makes it worse. If there is no lake monster, the thought of this beneath me scares me.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I've never heard of monsters in the Great Lakes, but you may be interested in the Ogopogo. It supposedly lives in Lake Okanagan in British Columbia, Canada. It's basically the Canadian version of Loch Ness.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
it has been popular belief that ogopogo is a sturgeon, but no one has proof that there are sturgeon there or no remains have been found at least, but hmmmmm... my dollar would be on the sturgeon theory.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
first of all if there is sumthin there it would be a lake monster, not a sea monster

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
i have heard about a lake monster arround the kingston to west lake area, east end of lake ontario. the great lakes are extreemly deep and wide so rarely being seen would not surprise me. being honest about it anything sighted in one great lake could easly swim to the other greatlakes as they are connected to each other.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daemon Divinus
While searching on the computer for sea monsters, two peculiar creatures caught my attention, Bessie and Pressie.

Apparently, Bessie inhabits Lake Erie, while Pressie resides in Lake Superior.

My questions are:

Are there any recent sightings of these creatures?

And

Are there any known creatures associated with Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and Lake Ontario? (In my opinion, it would seem odd that there wouldn’t be anything swimming in such a gargantuan body of fresh water.)

Thanks for you help answering my questions.

Also there is one that apperently occupies Oakanaugen (sp) Lake - Ogopogo.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have lived in NE Ohio all my life and have never heard of a Lake Erie monster. This is interesting, nice links SkyChief. Those of us in the area all know about The Serpent Mound in Adams County Ohio. I wonder if the native indians who built this were depicting the same monster?

As far as the lakes being fresh water, I believe Loch Ness is also freshwater. Is that right?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The loch ness is the largest freshwater lake in Great Britain i think.

www.loch-ness.org...

although the locals probably know what the nessie is (a big honkin sturgeon), they are not gonna disclose it to the public due to lost revenue from tourism.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Apparently from a very credible source every single one of the freat lakes holds a sea monster, or serpent. they say every hunred years the serpent from lake huron and lake michigan, meet at the straits of mackinac. possibly a sibling play time thing, or maybe even mating. anyways the last reported sighting of the two together was October 3rd 1909.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hi

I couldn`t find anything at this site about Great Lake sea monsters.

www.lakedragons.livingdinos.com...

It claims to be the global lake monster database

Check out Mussy. It`s close to my area.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Daemon Divinus

Here is an interesting one from the very 'heart' of the Upper Great Lakes. Just off the tip of the Bruce Peninsula, where the waters Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, and Michigan meet:

It was first sighted off Flowerpot Island in 1948. According to a report in the Owen Sound Sun Times, dated July 23, 1948..... "While men yelled and one woman fainted aboard the City of Detroit III, a Detroit and Cleveland Navigation Co., liner, a sea serpent slithered through Georgian Bay. That was the report of an eyewitness, Miss Bess Munroe of Michigan, the ship's social hostess. Miss Munroe's report of a 60-foot green and purple scale monster with a huge horned head, was confirmed by more than a dozen passengers and several of the ship's crew. The 'thing' was sighted by the travellers as the ship was entering the bay near Flowerpot Island. It came within 500 feet of the ship and remained in sight for approximately 15 minutes. It then disappeared in the fog and rain. "I've sailed the Great Lakes for many years," said the captain, "and have yet to see any monster. However, some of the informants in this case have always been persons of sound judgment and character." When the news of the sighting reached Tobermory, one local old timer was heard to comment "I am sure this 'spirit' came from a bottle"!

Link to story on 'Friends of the Bruce'

I have heard this story many many times over the years and read it from several different accounts.
As personal notes I would add:
1. There is VERY large sturgeon that live in the deeps nearby, although no know species of sturgeon would match the description given by the passengers.
2. That the teetotallers sceptical comments may not be entirely misplaced. There exists a certain 'atmosphere' or effect in those Islands and bays at certain times that could be described as a 'Sedona Like' effect'. The North Shore of Huron and the Bruce have often and historically been sought for the purpose of convalescing, for example. This feeling is often attributed to high levels of oxygen and exceptionally fresh air. I am not suggesting these people were hallucinating or 'high', but perhaps in a slightly altered state of consciousness? Slightly more aware or sensitive? Just a thought...
3. The Nawash people and earlier Petun Peoples have cultural legends of a creature that resembles the one sighted in the article above. So, the legend/myth goes back at least to the mid 1600's when the last of the Petun Bands fled invaders from the south.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by sydenham519]

[Mod Edit & added ex tags]

[edit on 2/8/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Not sure about lake monsters. But I do know that some catfish get enormous. There have been diver's down at the bottom of dam's doing repair work and just get the hell scared out of them when coming across one of these huge catfish. Some as big as eight foot shark's. There is a show on Animal Planet about a guy that goes hunting for River Monsters. I think in India there was a native catfish so large that it took the lives of several people, as in never seen again after bathing/playing in the river. He never found the monster responsible, but he did find a supposed witness to an attack. The witness drew a picture of the beast's head in the sand, and he drew the head of a catfish. Pretty wild!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

I believe you were thinking of the Mekong Catfish in SEA.

I am ready for some souped up Alligator Snapping Turtle with a Shell 10' to show up somewhere, perhaps downriver of SRP.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Daemon Divinus

Yes, there are creatures assossiated with all these lakes, a type of sea monstor known as fomorians, here's a link to some info about them.. uk.encarta.msn.com... Check the info at the side of that page though- couldn't link them for some reason.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Crying-Lightning]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join