It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop giving your kids stupid names!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
My ex-wife used to work for a major airline reservations center. No kidding, she once had a guy call in with the name "Richard Head"! Even had an American Express card in the name of "Richard F. Head"! Imagine going through life with a name like that!! The "F" was the clincher. She had to mute her headset on that one!

He even sent her some flowers for not making fun of his name.

I grew up with a guy named Dave Head whos dad was named Richard. Also, my dad had a good friend with the surname DeLong. Dick Delong.

Knew a Chinese guy named Long Dong. Dead serious. I remember meeting him thinking wtf.... I told him start going by Mike.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustonemanThe only way would be to be like a Nazi or like the English made the Welsh in the 14th Century or so and demand names meet a certain style.
Yes, the English screwed the Welsh. They used to have names Like 'Dewi ap Andras' (David son of Andrew) but it was made illegal.
It leaded to Welsh people changing their family name to an anglicised version so 'Dewi ap Rhys' became 'David Preece'.
Just a factoid for anyone interested

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
My wife used to work at a podiatrist office. One of the patients fist name was Fanny, an old fashioned name for sure. She was married to a man with the last name of Butts. Yep, Fanny Butts.

edit on 12-1-2019 by MrRCflying because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
I'm going to name my child Moonlight the Stargazer.

Imagine having the last name Litorus and you named your son Mike!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver
I worked with a Theresa Green a few years ago

...same in Britain, stupid names are not allowed. You can appeal the registra's decision but most people don't, everyone knows what a stupid name is. I do know someone who named their child 'Storm', and a 'Rainbow' girl though so they still let some unusual names through depending on the local authority...quite hippyish here.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Same as Mike Hunt

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

There should be a common rule of thumb when it comes to naming babies that makes it illegal to name your kid anything that is going to sound absolutely ridiculous when they reach their golden years. Before I laid that philosophy on my eldest she was ready to name my oldest grandkid "Onyx".

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
I like Onyx.
I would think of it as a female name and would call her Onny as her familiar name. I shorten names with friends usually but 'On' sounds strange. My Son has a single syllable first name but strangely I increase it with a 'y' after it to make it our 'friends' name, meanwhile, my name Tony is reduced to a single syllable by everyone friendly who addresses me as 'Tone'.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
I like Onyx.
I would think of it as a female name and would call her Onny as her familiar name. I shorten names with friends usually but 'On' sounds strange. My Son has a single syllable first name but strangely I increase it with a 'y' after it to make it our 'friends' name, meanwhile, my name Tony is reduced to a single syllable by everyone friendly who addresses me as 'Tone'.

As in like Blair

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

this sums up what my brain did when i got the news

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
Star for making me laugh, yes, but I'm not quite as much of a prick as him lol
He's a fake Tony though, he's an Anthony in reality. Every Tony I meet I ask are you a real Tony or an Anthony/Antony in disguise...not met another real Tony in my life yet.
Pisses me of when asked my name in officialdom or business "Is that Anthony?" No! I would have said Anthony if that was my name Grr! [/rant]

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Used to work with a guy named Dick Callis.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I dated a young lady named "Snow White" in college.

My 12yr old son has a classmate named Tiger Lily. Cutest girl in class!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Knew a girl named Penny Nichol.

Yes, we called her 6 cents.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Warning incoming dad joke...

What do you name your child who was born during the car ride to the hospital?

Carson.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980
I actually laughed at your dad joke.
...went to school with a Steven Stevenson, a Robert Robertson and a Johnny Johnson

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I dated a young lady named "Snow White" in college.

My 12yr old son has a classmate named Tiger Lily. Cutest girl in class!

Replied to your post only because this is the first time I've seen a similar name.

This thread just screams at me.." Omg how dare you be different? You must be like everyone else!"
20 years ago my then husband and I named our newborn son Tyger. We also gave him two middle names, and have always given him the choice by which name to go by. Mostly we all call him Ty for short. Never once has anyone made a comment to myself or him that his name is anything other than cool. Even if they did, I'm sure he would shrug it off. He likes his name. I would never argue with him if he chose not to use it,as I myself go by my middle name. Not all parents who chose a name out of the ordinary are selfish. Some of us shake our heads at those who demand us to be like everyone else. And honestly, of all the hatred going on in the world today, picking on a child's name should really be the least of our concerns.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: seeker1963

Same as Mike Hunt

Seen that moniker on a other site

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Went to school with a guy named Harry Bolls.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied
A friend of mine named her son Tyger, everyone calls him Ty. She is the one who named her other son Storm as I mentioned in a previous post. UK registrars can refuse names, and there is a judicial appeal process, but they only do it with names most of us would think are ridiculous.
Bakedbean or Turd for example would be refused and probably not win on judicial review. I support the restrictions as they stand here in the UK.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join