It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk unveils assembled SpaceX Starship and it's glorious

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Musk dropped a few more details about the prototype: "This is for suborbital VTOL tests. Orbital version is taller, has thicker skins (won't wrinkle) & a smoothly curving nose section.

VTOL stands for "vertical take-off and landing." Musk says the body diameter of Starship is about 30 feet (9 meters).

The SpaceX founder also retweeted a video taken by Twitter user Evelyn Janeidy Arevalo showing the rocket as seen out of a car window driving by.

Elon Musk unveils assembled SpaceX Starship and it's glorious

This is a huge 100 crew spaceship. The image on the left is an actual photo of the vehicle that will be used for sub-orbital testing. The image on the right is what the spacecraft that goes into space will look like. The spacecraft will be launched on Musk's BFR (big rocket) for it's mission into outer space.

edit on 11-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Since its 2019 i was hoping to see the designs a bit better.
The design looks like as if its from the 60s.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Tis a glorious site indeed! Can’t wait to see the hop testing. I do have some concerns about the craft though. But like Musk has stated before this is just a proof of concept for now.

Still freaking cool though!

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Yeah, it reminds me of 50s sci fi movie rockets

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well one of his dreams is to colonize mars and create space tourism.

I think he will need a few more of these for starters.

A space elevator would probably be the best and safest way to travel to and from space.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So 21st century. Isn't this what scifi predicted.

I bet the 22nd century will be exciting.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

He should call it the “Silver Bullet”

And get a Coors sponsorship.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thunderbirds are Go!!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It's about efficiency and safety.

Seeing this design gives me hope that these people are serious.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Unfortunately, Musk doesn't seem to understand what being a responsible C-level executive for a publicly-traded company means. I know SpaceX is not the same thing as Tesla, but because Elon Musk is being praised for "his" rocket, it is totally fair to call him out here.

Elon Musk seems to be given special treatment by the authorities, seeing as how he skated by with a settlement from the SEC's lawsuit against him for securities fraud. It's funny that someone like Martha Stewart gets prison time for doing less than Elon did. He has a lot of lawsuits headed his way. I'm not sure about SpaceX but Tesla and Elon himself have some difficult times ahead, and rightfully so.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I thought the design looked familiar-retro...it may be appropriate, all-too-appropriate:

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

that looks pretty much identical... the fins on the SpaceX rocket don't have that angle though.

In all honesty, Elon Musk has been in the news many times this past year for being a jackass (and slandering that diver's reputation, and violating securities laws). However the rocket looks pretty sweet...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ofleming

that looks pretty much identical... the fins on the SpaceX rocket don't have that angle though.

In all honesty, Elon Musk has been in the news many times this past year for being a jackass (and slandering that diver's reputation, and violating securities laws). However the rocket looks pretty sweet...

Elon Musk is a greater applied scientist than Henry Ford, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs put together. While he might not be quite up to Nikola Tesla's grade in the smarts department, he's a much better businessman. And, Elon has a pretty fine sense of humor to boot. By his own admission, if he gets to Mars in this life, he might not ever come back.

I'm sure Elon Musk has seen the "Marooned on Mars" cover already. The similarity might not be an accident!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The quadrangular fin doesn't have much advantage over the triangular fin, except perhaps for navigating nose-first at high speeds through atmosphere, and for landing purposes is structurally disadvantageous ie. easier to damage. The fine-tuned automated thruster control of Space X's vertical landing platform makes such bulky fins unnecessary.

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Even though its pretty cool, does this look way too small to be a 100 crew spacecraft to anyone else?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It looks like a prop from the 1950's...sitting on its fins at that. Anyway, it looks like a prop, not a real rocket. "Starship"? He's got to be kidding...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I'm sure Elon Musk has seen the "Marooned on Mars" cover already. The similarity might not be an accident!

That might not be too far of a stretch considering that the inspiration for his 'not a flamethrower' came from the movie Spaceballs;

...“The real money comes from merchandising. I learned it from this documentary,” Musk said on his Twitter page, followed by a link to a scene from Spaceballs.

In the scene, Yogurt (played by Mel Brooks) explains to the characters where the money from the movie is made. A wall moves away to reveal a gift store filled with Spaceballs-branded products, including t-shirts, lunchboxes, and … flamethrowers.

Linky

Back on topic, I saw the image on the right the other day somewhere and thought it looked a little odd and old-skool.

I like the dude and wish him well, either way,

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Totally!

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yeah, it reminds me of 50s sci fi movie rockets

Me too. Honestly, I think it looks silly. Is Musk going to create ray guns with big reflector dishes, just to be retro?

And glass bubble helmets! What's the point of building that rocket if the crew isn't going to be wearing glass bubble helmets during the trip?

edit on 11-1-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Thunderbirds are Go!!

"Lady Penelope: Isn't life fun sometimes?
Parker: Rib ticklin', M'Lady.

Author unknown.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join