It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your feel good stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Another member suggested this in the Banter Cafe thread after a couple of us there shared our feel good stories.
Every now and then we can be at our lowest in life and someone kind comes along changing our world. Here's my story...

I ran away aged 16 with no money and no real plan. Luckily I received £27 a week in welfare benefits so it was enough to buy food but not enough to save up for a rented room, so I slept in a derelict leisure centre.

I applied for kitchen porter jobs and such like for months while homeless but with no address I never got the job. Jobcentre told me there was an immediate interview at a local hotel so I went straight there.
I never looked homeless, launderette and 50 pence hot showers at the local bus station.
So, I got on well with the chef interviewing me, he gave me a form to fill out, but when it got to my address I looked at him with an embarrassed face and admitted I was sleeping rough.
He looked at me with a kindly face and said he didn't care about that, just how good I am at working, can you start at 5pm today?

I jumped at the chance, nearly cried with happiness, I worked like a dog that night, preparing vegetables and washing pots/pans. Had a fantastic cooked meal at the end of my shift and when I finished the chef came up to me with £200 and said get yourself a rented room tomorrow and be back for 5pm, you can pay it back £20 a week. I actually cried. I'll never forget that man (Wolfgang, he was German), he gave me the break I needed and I worked the whole summer there. Back on my feet and the rest is history.

So ATS people, do you have any interesting feel good stories about people who have changed your life with kindness, please do share them here.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

At least you made it work man! Congrats on that. Some folks don't make it and wind up going back.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I don't have any unless I find out a blackhole opened underneath DC and sucked everyone into it.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1
Thanks!

I had the advantage over other homeless people I'd meet though, being 16 I didn't drink or do drugs, and I had no mental health issues stopping me from working. I just needed that one break, and the kind chef gave it to me. Will never forget him.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Ummm...Wow...thanks brother...your relating a piece of your core was a feel good moment for me...I love when people are comfortable enough in their own skin to share from that core...to relate and relay what it means to be...them...

I actually learn quite a lot from moments like that...I learn to appreciate the connectivity such moments inspire...the shared agony...angst...and ecstasy...

In some form or fashion...it calls out to like moments in our own lives...and we get to experience a small touch of synchronicity...

One of my feel good moments...was when I was homeless...living out of my 68 Beetle...I would go to the shelters and soup kitchens to volunteer my time...it was very humbling sharing what little I had to offer with other people that for whatever reason either chose such circumstance...or had it chosen for them...

I remember I would go to a park and meet up with some of these people that I learned to love...we would sit around the picnic tables sharing spiritual experiences...relating to some of those core truths as they naturally rose from inside and dared to be broached in like manner...

then we would leave...some going back to the shelter...myself...driving off and finding a secluded spot to bunk down in my Bug...
As we left...we always cleaned and gleaned the park...taking away what we brought hopefully leaving a touch of goodwill in the air for whomever might choose to inhabit those same spaces we had borrowed for awhile...

It made me feel good to be there...among what some might call the lowest of the low...as we took turns...sharing out compassion...for even those who might refuse to see us for what we are...
Fellow sojourners...walking different paths...to the same destination...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir
Ah mate thanks for sharing your lovely story

I wonder how many ATS members have been homeless. You are right, there are some beautiful people on the street, will share their last bit of food with a fellow in need.
Because I was only 16, still legally a child but the law allowed me to leave home before 18, the other older men in the derelict leisure centre took me under their wing and guarded my stuff for me when I went out to find work or whatever.
They had absolutely nothing but still wouldn't steal from me, we shared food together whenever someone had money.

I bet you are the same as me, an experience which totally shaped my life, you have to live it to understand it.
Thanks again for sharing your tale.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I love your story, and I love that your boss didn't judge you. Thank you for sharing!

Here's mine

I was very wild in my early days. I had just been separated from my husband and had a small child. I got a new job at a place with fantastic benefits, but the hours were difficult with daycare issues. (and me wanting to stay up and party
) My boss was possibly one of the kindest men I have ever met. In secret he would ask the single moms what schedule they needed and then would build around that. (I'm sure the metoo# has killed stuff like this)

We had a co-worker that was older and always very disheveled. I hate to say it, but we'd often make fun of him. Not in a mean way, but he was older and wasn't too savvy in IT. Well one day he didn't show. My boss pulled me aside and told me how worried he was. Our co-worker was homeless and living at the Salvation Army. His wife had previously died from cancer and that ate up their entire life/home/savings. He was working there to get back on his feet. I went to the bathroom and cried that day. Somehow my boss knew about everyone, and how to help them, but did so in a gentle way.

I was a horrible employee and was distracted by life's challenges at the time. That job led to other greater stepping stones. I still keep in touch with that boss 20 some years later! I told him I was sorry for being such a pain in the neck and all he did was tell me what a great employee I was and how I was an example to others. Even after the fact, he had a way of building up my confidence.

In this life, you'll learn there are "bosses" and there are true teachers....
edit on 10-1-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
I love your story as well thanks for sharing

I agree, there are some beautiful people out there who look after their workers. Just that understanding that they care about you makes you want to work for them.

My most loved boss was when I was working for central government, or "The Crown" as it is called lol
I met a girl in a nightclub and quickly found out that her father was my absolute boss in a building of over 300 civil servants. I instantly wanted her because she was the bosses daughter...I liked her as well but that clinched it.

We ended up living together within weeks, she moved into my place and we partied like two 19 year olds do. She was estranged from her parents who disapproved of her Ecstacy/MDMA party lifestyle with me, and I had the wrath of the head of the building/office.
He called me into his office and spit was coming out of his mouth he was so angry. He knew he couldn't sack me, his daughter was living with me, we had to find agreement somewhere but it seemed impossible.

Time always heals though and he became like a father figure to me. I married his daughter, we had a child, okay got divorced when our child was 2, but with no lawyers, fair and as friends. She is my most loved and trusted friend even now our child is 21.

My boss/father in law/loved friend died not long after retiring with a massive stroke...took a year for him to go and I grieved the same as when my biological father died. I thank my luck for that man in my life, he took me from working class to professional, and opened many doors for me.

I've been really lucky with beautiful people in my life, even when I've maybe not deserved them at times.

edit on 10-1-2019 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This was a double post but I'll make it into another feel good story.

A mate of mine has his own recruitment company for workers, agency work. He pays well above minimum wage and gets really involved if workers are suffering hard times. He has been homeless sleeping rough himself years ago but now he's made the bigtime he helps his workers out.
He will advance wages if needed, help find workers get accommodation, even let guys sleep in the back office in an emergency. Happened over Christmas, really good guy.

His mantra is look after the workers and they'll look after the working side which pays everyone's bills.
edit on 10-1-2019 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

First, here is *a* feel good story. Not such a good thing that the poor kitty wound up there, but it all turns out in the end.

I'm posting it because it happened in my neck of the woods.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I'm a cat guy, that story/movie was amazing!
Thanks for sharing that, made me smile and have glassy eyes of smiling.

top topics

join