It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia, Iran Sign Nuclear Deal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Russia will supply nuclear fuel to Iran for its Bushehr nuclear plant, according to a deal signed today. The deal stipulates that Iran must return all spent fuel to Moscow. Spent nuclear fuel contains depleted uranium, which possibly could be used to develop arms. World leaders hope the contract terms will allay US fears that Iran was planning to use spent fuel to arm nuclear weapons.

www.news.com.au
RUSSIA and Iran signed a key deal today for Russia to supply Iran with nuclear fuel to the Bushehr nuclear plant, Russia's Itar-Tass news agency reported from Bushehr.

The deal, which also provides for Iran to return spent nuclear fuel to Russia, had been expected to be signed yesterday but was delayed by 24 hours as talks continued.

The deal to supply fuel for Iran's Russian built 1000mW Bushehr nuclear plant was expected to pave the way for the country's only reactor to go on line later this year and reach full capacity in 2006.

The US, strongly opposing the deal, says it fears the Bushehr reactor could be used as a cover by Tehran to build atomic weapons. Iran denies this, saying it needs nuclear power to generate electricity.

A key part of the agreement is aimed at addressing US concerns, obliging Tehran to repatriate all spent nuclear fuel to Russia.

Moscow hopes this will allay US worries that Tehran may use the spent fuel, which contains potentially weapons-grade uranium, to develop arms.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No doubt Bush and Putin ironed out these terms during the Democracy Quest tour last week. Presumably, the US now will support Russia's entry into the WTO.

Democracy Quest: Russia

Talking is good. Diplomacy works.

[Thanks to Sanctum for the lead]

Related News Links:
www.itar-tass.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
OP/ED: Democracy Quest: Europe
WAR: Russia backs Iran in nuclear row
POLITICS: Iran and Russia Agree on Second Nuclear Reactor at Bushehr
WAR: Iran ready for US invasion

[edit on 27-2-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 28-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It kills me that I get up everyday and go to work, pay high taxes and my country sends money to Russia in foreign aid packages. If Russia can get in bed with Iran, then let Iran help them get back on their feet economically. Russia has no business having any nuclear material in their country. I say this, aniliate every country on this earth that wants to over step their boundries to destroy other nations or commit acts of supporting terriorists. I'm sick of supporting this BS!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocknwoman
It kills me that I get up everyday and go to work, pay high taxes and my country sends money to Russia in foreign aid packages.

But you think it's okay for Halliburton to suck up your tax dollars with inflated gas prices in Iran? And to pay contract mercenaries $3000+ dollars a day while our veterans and soldiers and their families go without?

Not sure what your references are on foreign aid to Russia, but I'll take your word for it.

Still - the world turns on trade - Russia and Iran just signed a trade deal - and it looks like Bush was involved with establishing the terms.

As far as weapons production goes, the risk is covered off. So what's your beef?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocknwoman
Russia has no business having any nuclear material in their country.

And who exactly does? Anybody???

I say this, aniliate every country on this earth that wants to over step their boundries to destroy other nations or commit acts of supporting terriorists. I'm sick of supporting this BS!!!!!!

Just a thought, but would there be anybody left?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Annialate every country that oversteps their boundry

Rocwoman You obviously know nothing about our country. Overstepping our boundries is what we are about, especially if there is oil involved, or a little country in our neighborhood ,[like Nicaragua,] gets a little uppity.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by kazi]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This sucks,now Russia is going to help speed up there nuclear program and now if the U.S attacks Iran Russia will get involved one way or another. Putin is an anti-American and I hope bush doesn't put up with him, I thinks it's time for the U.S to openly help the countries Russia doesn't get along with.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Anybody have any thoughts how this might affect tensions in the Middle East, if at all?

The depleted uranium for weapons issue is solved - Iran doesn't get to keep the spent fuel.

...If Israel goes after Iran, Russia won't be happy - and Russia supplies Israel's oil.

...?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Act Now, Supplies Limited

They better hurry, because Iran is about to come under new management.

Russia knows this, which makes the deal all the more interesting. Bush and Putin talked recently, and I'm sure this topic was broached.

Shortly thereafter, this is announced.

Very curious tidings, indeed, as one would expect from the global playground that is the Middle East.

Just more evidence that the real stories rarely make the news.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecry
This sucks,now Russia is going to help speed up there nuclear program

Hmmm. Russia has so many nuclear weapons and uranium stockpiles that most people are worried about them getting out, and into terrorists hands. ...It's one of the deals Bush made with Putin - they're both working on collecting the stuff that already got out.

and now if the U.S attacks Iran Russia will get involved one way or another.

I don't think the US will attack Iran now. ...Looks like Bush cut a deal to make Putin take back the depleted uranium - and the US part of the deal is to support Russia's entry into the WTO. ...Better all the way around IMO.

Putin is an anti-American and I hope bush doesn't put up with him, I thinks it's time for the U.S to openly help the countries Russia doesn't get along with.

Just because someone doesn't agree with US policy, doesn't mean they're anti-American. ...IMO - Putin and Bush came a long way last week. ...Looks to me like some good trades and exchanges were negotiated - to benefit everyone economically, and for world peace.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Hmmm. Russia has so many nuclear weapons and uranium stockpiles that most people are worried about them getting out, and into terrorists hands. ...It's one of the deals Bush made with Putin - they're both working on collecting the stuff that already got out.

That has nothing to do with Iran's Nuclear program,Russia might not be giving thier uranium stockpiles away to terrorists but could be supplying the Iranian goverment important documents on the best way of building a nuclear bomb.

Just because someone doesn't agree with US policy, doesn't mean they're anti-American. ...IMO - Putin and Bush came a long way last week. ...Looks to me like some good trades and exchanges were negotiated - to benefit everyone economically, and for world peace.

How do you think Putin got so popular in Russia?by playing the anti-american card!! All those meetings go the same way ...they talk about terrorism,global security and through there cooperation the world will be a safer place but when the meetings are over things go right back to the way they were.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocknwoman I say this, aniliate every country on this earth that wants to over step their boundries to destroy other nations or commit acts of supporting terriorists. I'm sick of supporting this BS!!!!!!

You want to annihilate the USA?
OK

BTW, I think foreign aid to Russia has already ended but I'm not 100% sure.

The foreign aid budget for 2005 doesn't mention Russia.

There is $550 million for the FREEDOM Support Act (Independent States of the former Soviet Union) but I think a lot of that may go to countries like Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Tadjikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine & Uzbekistan etc...

[edit on 27-2-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Hmmm. ...It's one of the deals Bush made with Putin .

Russia might not be giving thier uranium stockpiles away to terrorists but could be supplying the Iranian goverment important documents on the best way of building a nuclear bomb.

I doubt it. Besides, anyone who wants to know can easily find out how to build a nuclear bomb. ....Bush and Putin made several agreements - probably many we won't ever hear about. But I'd say Russia is in charge of keeping Iran in line for now - and getting something out of the deal for herself.

...they talk about terrorism,global security and through there cooperation the world will be a safer place but when the meetings are over things go right back to the way they were.

But things have NOT gone back to the way they were. They may not be perfect, but it looks to me like progress has been made. Like they said in the 60's - give peace a chance. It's better than global nuclear warfare and mutually assured destruction.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Just a thought, but would there be anybody left?

Perfect...

No there wouldn't be. All countries have EVIL MEN and some Women too...they all want to Screw their neighbors.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Act Now, Supplies Limited

They better hurry, because Iran is about to come under new management.

Russia knows this, which makes the deal all the more interesting. Bush and Putin talked recently, and I'm sure this topic was broached.

So what are you saying majic? That Bush is going to take Iraq and become Russia's partner in the deal?

Just more evidence that the real stories rarely make the news.

I just can't see, said the shroom.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I doubt it. Besides, anyone who wants to know can easily find out how to build a nuclear bomb. ....Bush and Putin made several agreements - probably many we won't ever hear about. But I'd say Russia is in charge of keeping Iran in line for now - and getting something out of the deal for herself.

Maybe the basic principles but not the hard data that would help speed the process along. I HIGHLY doubt the U.S goverment would trust Russia to look after Iran's Nuclear program.

But things have NOT gone back to the way they were. They may not be perfect, but it looks to me like progress has been made

Just last week U.S made claims that Putin was trying to put Russia back to it's former communist self. And during the Ukrain elections the U.S told Russia to not use it's influence during elections and Putin told the U.S to not meddle in their affairs.NOTHING has change they still don't trust each other no more then they did ten years ago.

Like they said in the 60's - give peace a chance.

That's funny
I'm sure they both want peace as long as it suit there needs

It's better than global nuclear warfare and mutually assured destruction.

Of course why else are they building a missile shield?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

But things have NOT gone back to the way they were. They may not be perfect, but it looks to me like progress has been made

Just last week U.S made claims that Putin was trying to put Russia back to it's former communist self. And during the Ukrain elections the U.S told Russia to not use it's influence during elections and Putin told the U.S to not meddle in their affairs.NOTHING has change they still don't trust each other no more then they did ten years ago.

IMO - most of the chatter last week was pre-meeting bargaining. A LOT went down during the Europe tour - and Bush had a hard job. He was posturing and so were the other guys. But agreements were still made. ...and Russia IS supplying nuclear fuel to Iran - according to terms that Bush influenced.

IMO - both compromised. It's a step in the right direction.

Like they said in the 60's - give peace a chance.

That's funny
I'm sure they both want peace as long as it suit there needs

Nobody in their right mind wants global nuclear war - OR thinks anyone has a chance of surviving it.

It's better than global nuclear warfare and mutually assured destruction.

Of course why else are they building a missile shield?

To loot America's tax revenues and guarantee income from the interest payments on the public debt for the next hundred years. ...They ARE planning to survive - they are NOT planning to unleash a nuclear holocaust. They are pushing their agenda and it doesn't mean they won't slip up, but survival by missile shield isn't anything but a tool to generate income.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Russia has been ready for nuke war scince 1962, every building from schools to department stores have underground bomb shealters

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
Russia has been ready for nuke war scince 1962, every building from schools to department stores have underground bomb shealters

Not sure what your point is Tiger. Nothing has changed? Russia's dismantling her communist government and embracing capitalism doesn't mean anything? Her desire to join the WTO is just a front? Bush's negotiations with Putin are irrelevant?

Really, could you clarify please?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Real Russkies don't care for communism most want it back for the free health care system and for the Pention for elderly while only about 39% of Russians are real commies, any ways what I'm saying is Russia knows it's going to fight U.S..A. soon and if U.S. starts a nuke war with Russia, 95% of Rus's pop will survive.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
In the Emirates now. The general feeling from friends here is that they are glad that Russia has stepped in to ease the situation.

The present situation was quite expected as no one really believed that Russia or Western Europe would have stood idly by whilst America was going on about not ruling out military action. Nevertheless, this talk and the waiting game for Russia or France to intervene was deeply affecting the investment climate in the Gulf.

Well, remains to be seen just how strictly the parties follow the letter of this new deal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join