It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Democrats are Being Hypocrites About Border Wall / Immigration

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It really boils down to TDS, but more importantly Democrats realize that immigrants; more specifically, poor uneducated immigrants from south of the border represents a huge voting block.

If one looks at positions Democrats have taken over the past 10 years, it is pretty clear they have marched further left on this issue and it leads one to wonder why.

The 2008 Democrat Party Platform sounds awfully like President Trumps position. Here is a link so you can read it yourself. The section on immigration is about 3/4s the way down. 2008 Democrat Party Platform

For those too lazy to read the link:

America has always been a nation of immigrants...

We cannot continue to allow people to enter the United States undetected, undocumented, and unchecked. The American people are a welcoming and generous people, but those who enter our country's borders illegally, and those who employ them, disrespect the rule of the law. We need to secure our borders, and support additional personnel, infrastructure, and technology on the border and at our ports of entry. We need additional Customs and Border Protection agents equipped with better technology and real-time intelligence. We need to dismantle human smuggling organizations, combating the crime associated with this trade. We also need to do more to promote economic development in migrant-sending nations, to reduce incentives to come to the United States illegally. And we need to crack down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants.

Hmmm... sounds kind of like conservative taking points.

However, in the 2016 Democrat Party Platform they go from the harsh tone above in 2008 to a much more open tone supporting Dreamers, DACA, etc.... You can see for yourself. The 2016 DNC Platform Go to Page 15.

We've all seen the videos of Schumer and Obama basically saying illegal immigraton is wrong, we need a wall, etc and now they they are taking a completely opposite position.

The question is why?

It really boils down to the Dems wanting the voting block. See Democrats have an issue in that they have conflicting positions within their constituency. One of the problems with the left is that the various identity groups often have conflicting goals and positions.

This is how the Democrats can be the party of women's rights but then also support Islam for example....

What we are seeing here is that there has been a reshuffling of Democrat priorities. In the past, Democrats controlled the working man... blue collar unions. However, these guys are at odds with illegal immigration because illegal immigrants suppress wages. So on the one hand Democrats wanted to support the blue collar guys but this conflicts with also supporting illegal immigrants.

Even Bernie Sanders knows this. In 2007, he opposed the immigration reform bill because:

“If poverty is increasing and if wages are going down, I don’t know why we need millions of people to be coming into this country as guest workers who will work for lower wages than American workers and drive waged down even lower than they are now,” Sanders said in a television interview in June 2007.

So what you are seeing is that Democrats have essentially written off middle America. They've decided that strategically, immigrants will be a larger and more valuable voting block.

edit on 8-1-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

We've all seen the videos of Schumer and Obama basically saying illegal immigraton is wrong, we need a wall, etc and now they they are taking a completely opposite position.

The question is why?

Because now it doesn't fit their narrative. In simple words.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

The question is why?

Illegal immigrants are simply "undocumented Democrats", in the eyes of the Democrat party... which is why the Democrats fight vehemently against voter I.D. laws.

The welfare of the American citizen means absolutely ZERO to them... they only care about their own political power. Political power has made them both wealthy, and above the law...

If illegal immigrants were to start voting Republican, the Democrats would demand nukes on the border...

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

It really boils down to TDS, but more importantly Democrats realize that immigrants; more specifically, poor uneducated immigrants from south of the border represents a huge voting block.

If one looks at positions Democrats have taken over the past 10 years, it is pretty clear they have marched further left on this issue and it leads one to wonder why.

The 2008 Democrat Party Platform sounds awfully like President Trumps position. Here is a link so you can read it yourself. The section on immigration is about 3/4s the way down. 2008 Democrat Party Platform

One of the biggest mistakes supporters of Trump's wall make is that they think either you are for the wall or you are against all boarder security. Dems dont want the wall, Dems still have boarder security money in the bills they passed to reopen the government, both the current house bills and the bill that passed the senate last congress.
edit on Tue Jan 8 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Dems dont want the wall,

Since Trump became president and stated HE wants a wall.
Because before Trump became president they said they wanted a wall quite often.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Apparently the Democrats don't seem to care about their party being replaced.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I would respectfully disagree.

Democrats want the Cloward-Piven Strategy.

edit on 8-1-2019 by DBCowboy because: ree

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Illegals are counted in the census and the numbers are used to increase voting seats in the House. That's why Dems want sanctuary cities. If anybody thinks it is done out of some moral or altruistic reason on the part of these soulless politicians, you're not reading the cards right.

+2 more 
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Dems dont want the wall,

Yeah, Trump could come out and be like he is going to support Universal Healthcare and I guarantee the Democrats would all of a sudden start talking about free markets and other solutions...

+6 more 
link   
Democrats are terrified that the wall would be effective.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Dems dont want the wall,

Yes they dont want HIS wall, we already have walls in places we have needed them for years.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

The question is why?

Because Clinton got a wall approved and put it up where he could. But many places he couldn't put up. the lawsuits by private landowners are still bouncing round the courts. Plus where they did put it, it didn't work. The democrats simply know that a wall is useless thus the change of heart. been there, did that and it wasn't worth it at all.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I wonder how many addicts there are in DC. Maybe their source would be affected by a wall.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I wonder how many addicts there are in DC. Maybe their source would be affected by a wall.

Nah...

They get the best stuff, shipped in directly by the CIA...
edit on 8-1-2019 by madmac5150 because: Agent Smith, is that you?

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Probably a few in the House.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

President Trump's wall would work, and it would be built on time and under budget. The Dems never really wanted a wall/barrier to work. I wonder why.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I don't see how building a wall is even the issue.
Is it the costs? Of course not.
The Democratic party can't just say: "Okay lets build this wall?"

It was one of Trumps running ideas.
God forbid anyone supports that.

I honestly don't understand the backlash.
This seems quite all to be a ruse....

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I agree that the Democrats often have Republican sounding platforms and talking points, however, as we learned from Hillary it is about having a public and private position. It is all about lies and voter manipulation so I don’t believe they ever seriously cared about secure borders.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It's becoming obvious that the past Democrat support for border security was all a scam.

They talked but didn't act when they had the "chance" in the 2009-2010 Congress.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I agree that the Democrats often have Republican sounding platforms and talking points, however, as we learned from Hillary it is about having a public and private position. It is all about lies and voter manipulation so I don’t believe they ever seriously cared about secure borders.

I think they did actually care about secure borders prior to 2015 because it conflicted with their union constituency. However, now I think they've realized they've lost that group and immigration block might be stronger. So strategically, they are willing to give up on the union at least for now and try to attract the immigrant block.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join