It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung guidance shocks: fourth-quarter profit 18 percent less than market expected

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Welp, I am waiting for this deflationary period to kick in. What does the Fed expect to happen when it's raising interest rates in a year of nearly flat inflation.

CNBC

Samsung Electronics said on Tuesday that its fourth-quarter earnings likely decreased sharply due to lackluster demand in its memory chip business as well growing competition in the smartphone segment.
The South Korean tech giant predicted operating profit for the three months ended December was approximately 10.8 trillion Korean won ($9.67 billion).
That was 28.71 percent down from a year ago and 18.18 percent less than the 13.2 trillion won analysts had predicted.

I am not surprised. Wages to low, debt to high and those of you who have been following my market threads this year know how I feel already.

Greespan: Stagflation

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan tells David Rubenstein that rising deficits and debt are already showing signs of eroding U.S. growth and that he sees indications of stagflation -- a stagnant economy saddled with rising inflation. The comments come in the new episode of “The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations" in an interview recorded Nov. 9 at Bloomberg's headquarters in New York. (Source: Bloomberg)

Anyway, the signs are all around you. Silver and gold are still in a beautiful position and put options on some of these tech stocks is looking mighty good to me, but do not take my personal play figure it out on your own.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

People aren't all that excited about spending $800-$1000 on a fricken cell phone?
Who da thunk it?

People are wishing up to this crap and are figuring out the can buy a damn good phone for $300 or less.

Apple is feeling it too.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

if people had the money they would spend it trust me, the problem is they don't

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Welp, I am waiting for this deflationary period to kick in. What does the Fed expect to happen when it's raising interest rates in a year of nearly flat inflation.

It's not just inflation, it's the debt level that most Americans and many businesses carry.

What happens when the market takes a swing and we hit a recession and people/businesses aren't able to maintain the debt?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

So, where is all the money?

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Why?

I got a brand new LG v40 for $320 on a black Friday deal.

Brand new 49 inch 4k TV for free with it.

They practically give these things away if you time it right.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

CNBC

Samsung Electronics said on Tuesday that its fourth-quarter earnings likely decreased sharply due to lackluster demand in its memory chip business as well growing competition in the smartphone segment.
The South Korean tech giant predicted operating profit for the three months ended December was approximately 10.8 trillion Korean won ($9.67 billion).
That was 28.71 percent down from a year ago and 18.18 percent less than the 13.2 trillion won analysts had predicted.

I am not surprised. Wages to low, debt to high and those of you who have been following my market threads this year know how I feel already.

Greespan: Stagflation

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan tells David Rubenstein that rising deficits and debt are already showing signs of eroding U.S. growth and that he sees indications of stagflation -- a stagnant economy saddled with rising inflation. The comments come in the new episode of “The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations" in an interview recorded Nov. 9 at Bloomberg's headquarters in New York. (Source: Bloomberg)

Anyway, the signs are all around you. Silver and gold are still in a beautiful position and put options on some of these tech stocks is looking mighty good to me, but do not take my personal play figure it out on your own.

So nearly flat inflation is now stagflation?!? Sure the stock market is acting oddly (almost entirely in the tech sector), but that does not mean that the economy as a whole is going badly, it just means that day traders and their algorithms (and weirdly high trade volumes due to it) are all over the place, and does not reflect directly on the actual performance of the economy as indexes and stock markets only get certain slices of the economy as a whole, and often way over represent certain sectors (im looking at you DJI) like tech and finance... which oddly enough are co-dependent on one another right now.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

It's not just inflation, it's the debt level that most Americans and many businesses carry.

What happens when the market takes a swing and we hit a recession and people/businesses aren't able to maintain the debt?

People see the privileged few portrayed in the media. They think that if they had more cash, they'd be privileged, too.

But the drug lords live in ghetto hells of their own creation.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Good point and yes the record levels of debt have everything to do with it

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Actually, the problem is that you don't.

So you keep making these threads.

Reality is, wages have been trending upwards since 2010.

If you were better at the rare metals markets, you would be in Palladium.

An observation...

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Also Samsung had a good product that stood out with features users wanted above others a while ago, but thats no longer the case. I have had numerous samsung devices in the past and still do but my next purchase likely wont be.. They got fat dumb and lazy like sony did, and their premium price is no longer warranted imo.

Apple is in businesss becauae they have a cult following that is locked into their eco system.since the first iPhone. However they better stop with the eating.

edit on 10131America/ChicagoMon, 07 Jan 2019 22:10:01 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11131America/ChicagoMon, 07 Jan 2019 22:11:45 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

So, where is all the money?

Everyone has a smartphone now. That wasn't the case five years ago.

Most people keep them for a few years, all the sales were to flip phone hold outs and third world countries.

They used each years gains and kept the projection going in the same direction as if they could keep those sales up. Stock market is punishing them for it for being dishonest and rightfully so.

Apple got caught throttling phones so people would think they needed newer and better. A phone from 2 years ago with a new battery will do everything you need it to.

edit on 7-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Well in a year where there was very low inflation xompared to previous years why did the Fed raise rates what 4 times?

That could be weong very tired

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think it has more to do with the fact that there hasn't been much innovation with phones lately. I'm a phone nut and moved from the s9 plus to Xiaomi mix 2s and have been happier with this phone than any in the past. Apple, Samsung, and Google priced their phones too high the last few years and left the market wide open for the Chinese market to fill the middle priced gap. I also believe the ban on Huawei and ZTE was a farce to benefit Apple but who knows.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

But the drug lords live in ghetto hells of their own creation.

One lick away from the house of cards falling just like those they dupe.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

Are they selling those phones in the US?

I find Apple phones to be the best but I have a personal bias against android so I dont know

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Interest rates have gone up this year but they are still pathetically low.

When I bought my house in 2000 my mortgage was 8%plus but now they are around 3%.
In 1980 they were 18%!!!!

One big reason people have so much debt today is that it's so cheap to borrow money.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Not surprising. The current generation cell phones are not exponentially better, so no real need to upgrade. I have an S7 edge and it works just fine. I won't buy a new phone until this one dies or they have an exponentially better upgrade.

Going from my s4 to the s7 was a significant improvement. The s7 to s9 is barely noticeable...

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Oh yeah. Have they kept up with inflation?

And in not talking about the horse# numbers the governments makes up for its CPI

But I bet you havent even checked

Also... Look at the price of gas. We are headed for a deflationary period

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Anathros

Are they selling those phones in the US?

I find Apple phones to be the best but I have a personal bias against android so I dont know

I ordered mine from China through gearbest. Took awhile to arrive but it's been flawless. It covers every band and as my job involves almost endless travel, that was a prerequisite of mine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join